Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

O' Donnell 20% fuel

Old 12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
RC_Diablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O' Donnell 20% fuel

Im ordering a X-C this friday and im getting a gallon of O' Donnell 20% fuel to run in it my ?? is whether to get Race or RTR blend? Im a nitro beginner and will be bashing 90% of the time if that helps.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Ca$hmoney

Default RE: O' Donnell 20% fuel

I didnt like how the Odonnell gumed up my engine.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM
djheptic

use the race blend, the rtr contains to much oil and it has shown in tests that to much oil is bad for a engine. When your at full throttle look out for plenty of blue smoke. Then you will know its tuned properly. Having it to rich will never harm a engine but you wont get best performance. Never lean it to much as you are sure to damage the engine
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
NitroSport22

actually... having your engine tooo rich will harm it... but yeah just look for some blue smoke cumming out the pipe and keep ur temps in a good range
Old 12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using O’Donnell Race Blend for over 6 years and never had a problem with my engines. Yes get the Race blend and not the RTR as it does have too much oil in it. Here is why you do not want a high oil content fuel.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
RC_Diablo

Race blend it is, thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 AM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: djheptic

the rtr contains to much oil and it has shown in tests that to much oil is bad for a engine.
Even thought I agree with what you have said I also have to disagree with some of what you have said. Annd the things I disagree with is whats above.

For one thing as far as I know O'Donell does not disclose how much oil they use in there fuels (as I said as far as I know) so unless you have some other way's of finding out, you dont know exactly how much oil is in there RTR fuel's. So it coule be any where from 12% to 20% as far as we know. Maybe they use another form of oil in the RTR then they use in the race blend, but use the same %. Now how likely is this probably closer to nill but none the less we dont know.

Another thing is that to much oil is not bad for the engine. The diminishing return for the engine is shown to be around 8-12% but that extra oil does not hurt the engine. Now like 46u has posted, there is a secondary affect to it but that would be from bad tuning and not actually from the excessive oil that is in the fuel. If you run any engine lean it will hurt the engine, so the excessive oil does not hurt the engine, it's the user and the inability of the user to accurately tune the engine with that particular fuel. But just about eveyrhitng else I agree with you
Old 12-07-2006, 02:21 AM
RC_Diablo

Well Ive never touched a nitro engine in my life so what I was asking is whether it would be safe for an unexprienced person to use Race blend or wheather RTR was maybe more forgiveing to beginners and their engines.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
125cchyperman

For a beginner and if your not racing, I would personally use the RTR stuff. The reason being if you over lean it the extra oil will help in not totally destroying your engine, now as stated before if you run your engine lean it will hurt the engine no matter what. But the RTR will be more forgiving as it offers more oil, so there will be less damage done.

But this is if you run lean, if you keep the engine on the rich side and keep it going like that then yeah go with the race blend. Just make sure your on the rich side of things all the time and your will be good.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
RC_Diablo

Ok Thanks for the help I've read a few pages on tuning and feel pretty confident but to be on the safe side I think I'll start with a gallon of RTR then if I manage to keep a good tune i'll switch to Race blend on the next gallon.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:06 PM
46u

Run what you want but I know from experience what works and what problems there is with high oil content fuels and many other experienced RC people for the most part will tell you the same. Yes you are correct that O’Donnell does not publish oil content but a experienced RCer can tell when it is to much just by the way it runs and tuning.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: 46u

Run what you want but I know from experience what works and what problems there is with high oil content fuels and many other experienced RC people for the most part will tell you the same. Yes you are correct that O’Donnell does not publish oil content but a experienced RCer can tell when it is to much just by the way it runs and tuning.
I by no means am arguing with you as I know what higher oil contents do, how they are lower in power and can cause OWB to slip(mainly Traaxas and blue thunder fuel's) and so forth. But as I said before he's a Novice and I dont want him to burn a motor up from it being to lean. I also understand that to most of us who know what we are doing also know how to tune and know when a fuel has to much oil content in it.

I am not arguing about this point at all, but from what I have heard, he has not ran anything yet and is totally new. So he hasnt experienced, a loss in power from the fuel, and doesnt need the extra power from the race blend. And the extra oil will help him if he does take it a little to close where as a race blend will just give and burn the engine up or, harm the engine. And most people are just bashing the O'Donell fuel because of the higher oil contents also because of the loss of power, that the extra oil takes away.

But this is from people that are experienced RCers such as you (46u) and I who have been driving them for several years now. But he has yet to touch one, so the extra power is not needed in this application. I say once he gets better at tuning then sure get the arce blend and drive it till the sun goes down by all means. But as I said 46u I am not argiung with you at all with this point.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
46u

I have seen many people new to RC with high oil content fuels lean their engines out to much trying to get them tuned properly trying to get good performance and crisp throttle response. Matter of fact I was one of them when I started in to RC I started with high oil content fuels. With lower oil content fuel in my opinion you are less likely to over lean the engine and will be able to tell it sooner if you do then with high oil content fuels. Just like my above post states. [ In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.] No I am not arguing I am discussing and appreciate your opinion. No I am not and expert and have only been in the hobby for about 7 years but have been a motorcycle mechanic and machinist for over 35 years.

I do recommend being on the safe side no matter what ever he runs to have a temperature gun or something. Before someone says anything no I do not tune to any certain temperature but does help to let you know if you are to lean particularly being new to the hobby.