other(state below)
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Graphite VS Aluminum

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM
yamahauler236

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphite VS Aluminum

Which is better to run on my xxx nt aluminum or graphite?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Graphite VS Aluminum

Depends what parts as a lot of the stock plastic is best! I only run VERY limited aluminum unless it came on the vehicle!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:44 AM
RCUSEE

well for the front and rear arms use def. graphite...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Valve

The benefits of graphite over plastic is that it is stiffer and lighter. However, it is also more brittle. Aluminum is very strong, but adds weight. The only parts you ever want to consider in aluminum are things like hubs or bulkheads that you have a problem breaking, otherwise, just stick to the plastic. If you want to race your truck, switching to graphite parts may help the truck out a little, but not a lot.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
46u

Aluminum all so bends and transfers breakage to the next weakest point. Stock parts flex some and a whole lot cheaper to replace a stock part then a carbon fiver or aluminum part. People think aluminum is bullet proof but it is not.

I built a stadium truck years ago that was all most all aluminum. First it was HEAVY! One day while driving I hit a 4x4 mailbox post with the front A arm and thought all I did was bend an A arm. After closer inspection do to all the aluminum it transferred the problem all the way down to bending the chassis. Now if I would have had the stock parts more then likely I would have only broke a $3 arm instead of high dollar A arm and $45 chassis.

I have Mini-Z F1’s I run on my RCP track in the house and one day the axel came out of the front knuckle so I got some high dollar aluminum ones. Well then I started breaking tie rods so I got Aluminum tie rods then started stripping servo gears. Went back to the cheap stock plastic knuckles and tie rods no more problem.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
jatoracing33

im not sure, but im rpm makes parts for a xxx nt, get them...if not then id say stay stock. i totaly agree with 46u than aluminum transfers the energy to a different part...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
yamahauler236

rpm dont make a arms that fit the xxx nt they are for the xxx t i think.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
46u

The only thing I would buy RPM A arms for is Traxxas as they need them most others have good A arms.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM
yamahauler236

Ok but just say i got a graphite chassis and took off my aluimunum would that help?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just leve it bone stock, aluminum and graphite is a gimmic, unless you go 100% graphite and that only works with electric due to the plate needing to be aluminum on nitros.

you wont notice much of a difference if its only on a few spots, as said, use on the most pressure bearing part of the truck like bulk heads and shock towers.

as for graphite for nitro plate, bad idea, ever notice that after you run the whole plate is hot? its like a giant heat sink for your engine, removing it will hurt your engine, plus it wont handle the twisting of the powerfull engine. and on top of that, you might lose a couple grams, and that makes your center of gravity higher, reducing overall proformance.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 AM
yamahauler236

im gonna go all graphite... sooner or later cause i race on the track i made and keep braking stock and graphite seems to hold a lot better so im gonna go with graphite. Ive been happy with it so far. Thanks[ ]