Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HPI Firestorm with OS .18 CVRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
tcv_racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Firestorm with OS .18 CVRX

There was a guy here who posted that he installed an OS.18 cvrx to his firestorm, I just want to know what type of .18cvrx did he use and if he had to buy and install or modify other parts to make it fit into the Firestorm.. Will the stock parts from the stock engine like the manifold, muffler, flywheel, clutch shoe and clutch bell can fit the .18cvrx?

The reason Im asking this here is because Im in Japan and I only speak little Japanese so theres no way that I'll be able to ask help from people from hobby shops here.. The best thing I can think of is this, ask it here in RCU, get the complete parts list, buy the parts and install it myself..

Thanks so much in advance!!! Im hoping for all your help guys, so please bear with me..
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
hillbilly12

Default RE: HPI Firestorm with OS .18 CVRX

ya i want to get a new engine to. is the cvrx more powerful than the g3.0???. i hate that motor, cant keep a tune[:@][:@][:@]. if not i gess im getin a tz[sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Chris_RC

waaayyy more powerful. And OS is known for easy to tune engines
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
tcv_racing

I found it..

This was the post that shows that one guy was able to install OS.18cvrx on his firestorm..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7261493/tm.htm

gflyer 22040 hope you can post your inputs here and pics if possible.. THANKS in advance!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
rwharrold

i have one on my firestorm, put it in about 10 months ago. it pretty much just dropps right in. i had to remove the brace from the gearbox to the chassis, so the gear will fit in, it will not mess up anything by removing this, i also took off about an 1/8 of an inch of the chassis on the side of the pull start is. so it will sit flat.. all minor things with a dremel..
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM
tcv_racing

sorry double post..
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 AM
tcv_racing

Thanks so much for your reply rwharrold!

What type of .18cvrx did you put in? Because from what I read from some posts says that it has to be the rotary carb type with a short shaft??
Is that right?

Did you buy other parts? Or you just installed the stock flywheel, clutch shoe, and clutch bell from the stock engine?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
standupclothing

I am wandering the exact same thing!!! Is it the O.S. 18CV-RX w/11J Rotary Carb or the O.S. 18CV-RX (S) w/11J Rotary Carb ?!?!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the cvr in my storm. the stock motor mounts don't work unless you do some cutting with the dremmel. I used the O.S. 18CV-RX w/11J Rotary Carb on mine. not the (s). you will need to get a pilot shaft to put on it http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM720&P=7 . I also got a different set of motor mounts from associated here they are http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMF0&P=7 . you will need the right screws to fit with the new motor mounts but I don't remember which ones they are but it wouldn't be hard for you to find out. you will have to drill new mounting hole in the chassis to make them work but it is easie to than try to cut the original mounts. your stock flywheel, clutch and clutch bell willl fit right on with that pilot shaft. yoiu are able to use you stock exhaust manifold as well.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: hillbilly12

ya i want to get a new engine to. is the cvrx more powerful than the g3.0???. i hate that motor, cant keep a tune[:@][:@][:@]. if not i gess im getin a tz[sm=punching.gif]
yes the CVr has a ton more power. I would say nearly double. check out this video of the cvr in my storm it got really bad quality but it works! I was running it really rich in the video and there was still a ton of power!

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...vidpics003.flv
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM
stagga

lol...looks like too much pwoer for that car! hard time keepin the front wheels down huh
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
yakfish

yeah but nothing a little weight in the front can't fix...and there is no such thing as too much power lol[sm=lol.gif] and you can always gear it more for top end.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
standupclothing

Thank you for the mini-tut on what needs to be done! I have been searching for that info!! What would you need to cut on the original mounts to make them work??
Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
NitroNate

Thanks yakfish,I have a CV-RX on the way along with everything I need.It should be here on Tuesday.
One more thingid you need to cut some of the CV-Rs standard shaft off before you install the pilot shaft??

,Thanks again
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM
yakfish

if i remember right I think I cut off bout 1/4 to 3/8 if an inch.
standup, I'll post a pic of the mounts for you.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
coyote5122
My Feedback: (25)

hey yakfish hows it goin ? just dropped a 18 cvrx w slide carb and whoa nelly ... hit me back catch ya later >> hows the raze doin ?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
yakfish

hey coyote,
how it going? yeah I still have the raze and its still running great. haven't shelled out the cash for a new motor for it yet and as it looks now it might be a while before i do. what did you put the CVRX in? not in the rs4? its a sweet motor that for sure! take it easy!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
coyote5122

yep found a big box o stuff at an estate sale and the 18cvrx was in it and just out of curiosity it fit right in the rs4 It was new in box with a bunch of other stuff paid 125 for the whole deal a mt roller a jato full deal w3.3 and some mt tires and a elec rustler . .
any how the 18cvrx has a little issue at half tank it sputters and chokes at full throttle the slide carb idles fine and slow to mid range is great its holding temp at 209 212 solid i top off tank and it goes away . anyone have any ideas on this ????
Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 AM
tcv_racing

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Don't you guys think that it would be better to just get the .18 CVRX-S so you dont need to do any cuttings on the shaft since the S version has a shorter shaft?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
motorhead91

ORIGINAL: coyote5122

yep found a big box o stuff at an estate sale and the 18cvrx was in it and just out of curiosity it fit right in the rs4 It was new in box with a bunch of other stuff paid 125 for the whole deal a mt roller a jato full deal w3.3 and some mt tires and a elec rustler . .
any how the 18cvrx has a little issue at half tank it sputters and chokes at full throttle the slide carb idles fine and slow to mid range is great its holding temp at 209 212 solid i top off tank and it goes away . anyone have any ideas on this ????
there could be a problem with pressurizing the fuel tank

its sounds as though it becomes too lean at half tank....or it could be the motor has an air leak when it gets up to temp
Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
coyote5122

Is the half tank lean thing normal for this engine ? I since sealed the engine back plate and carb neck with ultra black and made sure the o ring around the tank lid is making the lil "pop" sound the exhaust nipple has also been sealed and the tube was clamped on . will be trying some more runs today . thanks for the help
Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
yakfish

Yeah coyote it sounds more like an air leak. especially since i know there was no problem with that car pressurizing the tank before when I had it. did you check to make sure the screws hol.ding the manifold were tigh enopugh? is the cvr much stronger than the 18ss? sounds like you got a killer deal at that garage sale! I wish I could find deals lioke that around here. I only seem to hear about them aftewr the fact.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: tcv_racing

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Don't you guys think that it would be better to just get the .18 CVRX-S so you dont need to do any cuttings on the shaft since the S version has a shorter shaft?
i don't know how much shorter it is but It would probably be worth someone tryiung it to find out. I bought the one that I have because it was used and very cheap!!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
coyote5122

Yakfish I got it figured out it was the damn exhaust manifold letting blowbye get out . the damn rs4 cant even keep traction withthat engine probably gonna shred the foams in about a day or so just order 2 set of the hpi replacements and the stock car looking rims .
the kid around the corner thought his jato was fast boy was he wrong . thanks for the input catch ya later . Iwould guesstimate speeds to be near 68 or 70 . and shes still getting her legs so to speak .
Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
yakfish

Thats awesome!! hey if you can't get traction you can always go taller in the gearing. all you need are smaller spurs gears, bigger clutch bell or both. lets see 75+MPH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.