Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

TRX.15 Not running properly help!!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX.15 Not running properly help!!

Ok! Got my new trx.15 today! Installed it in my old rustler and it fired right up! So then I go to break it in... do 1 tank idle, then follow the traxxas instructions! Well suddenly I start seeing smoke that looked to be coming from the cooling head of the engine and there was fuel next to the glow plug! that might have been me while putting fuel in or whatever so I tighten the glow plug just in case and start it back up, I do the whole break in process and while that i was worried it may be too lean so i richened it a little! When I to tune it is when the weird stuff starts! at the beginning no blue smoke so I richen it, them I get blue smoke but it couts out after half throttle (doesnt actually turn off just cuts a little then goes on) I richen it some more... the I lean it a little slowly trying to get the best performance.. It seems it always needs to be touched! And when I turn it off I can har like gas sizzling in the carb... I had read that sometimes happens? the boil effect or something like that? Why is that? That may be why it cuts out! gas doesnt get to the engine... Im running it pretty rich so It shouldnt be lean but.. whats happening? The fuel lines are pretty old so it could be that! Ive ordered some new ones and should have them by next week... Why could all this be happening? Ive noticed that blue smoke does not always come out of the exhaust, even richening it so much! But I mean its leaking fuel out of the exhaust at this point its so rich! The exhaust does get hot and air does come out... along with a sputter of fuel so I guess that means that there is a good sela between the engine and exhaust header... what do you guys think?

thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
soljajato

Default RE: TRX.15 Not running properly help!!

get a new engine man. that thing is oooooooooooooooooolllldd
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Nesal

Nono, its new! ordered it fresh! I think ive got a vapour lock problem... thats when the fuel evaporates upon entering the carb right? What do I do to fix it? Im gettging new fuel lines although the other ones seem to be ok! They are 6-8 years old anyway... could that be it? Anything else I should look out for? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
nitrosport963

is there holes in the gas line ir a bad seal on the gas tank that could explain it being so lean
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Nesal

How do I get a better seal in the gas tank?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
nitrosport963

y is it bad?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Nesal

How do i check that! I dont see any holes in the fuel lines either but hey...
Old 08-09-2008, 04:53 PM
carson-model-sport

I GOT A TRAXXAS 15 ENGINE OF EBAY AND MINE DON'T WORK.
THEY SAID COMPRESSION IS GOOD AND REALLY IT'S CRAP.
I THINK THAT YOU MIGHT OF NOT TUNED IT RIGHT OR YOU HAVE FITTED IT WRONG.
IF I WAS YOU I WOULD CONTACT WHO YOU GET IT OF AND ASK FOR A REPLACEMENT A.S.A.P!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
bigairlife

Alright. Try taking off the cooling head and correctly putting it backon. Then make sure the seal on the carb and exhaust is good. Then, put in all new fuel tubing, because fuel tubing can get tiny holes in it over time that you cant see with the naked eye. Then, if that doesn't work, try putting in a new gas tank. Finally, if all else fails, then you can just get a new one from traxxas...

PS: About vapor lock, it usually only happens with thicker aluminum carbs in really hot weather with an extremely lean tune...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:52 PM
hoochie187

to carson model sport take off your cooler head and set the metal disc on top of the engine right then re fit the cooler head in an even fashen e.g tighten the screws back on slowly and evenly cause i tighned them wrong and there was no compresion i re did it with the screws evenly 3 or 4 turns at a time each screw till they tighten slightly then 1 turn at a time each screw for eveness if you do it uneven the metal ring under the cooler head will bend slightly but enough for air to escape it is very fixable this way try this and give it a blast.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Nesal

Well I replaced everything even sealed the engine and it still wont hold a tune and it overheats A LOT, to the point that smoke comes from the cooling head... the only thing I havent replaced is the Fuel tank, which arrived next week, so as soon as I get it I will replace that... anything else I can do?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the original Pro. 15 that came in my original T- Maxx when they first came out. The truck was given to me , so naturally I ripped the entire truck apart and went thruogh every part on the truck. If I had the problem you are having I would first put in a good plug, either an OS LC3 or OS LC4, depending on the temperature in your area. Then I would replace the copper gasket between the head and the block as well as the exhaust gasket. Tighten down the cooling head in a star pattern like the lugnuts on your car. Replace your fuel line and blow out both filters. Reset HSN and Idle screws to factory settings. And start all over. The lid on the gas tank has an o ring that is orange. That is what seals up your gas tank and keeps the pressure inside. Hope this helps
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Nesal

I have replaced the plug before but will buy a new one and replace that, I will also do the cooling head thing youre saying and will replace the fuel tanka s soon as it gets here... will keep you posted! thanks...!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the procees of breaking in my 2.5 motor on my custom T- Maxx. After a few runs it smoke from the cooling head as well. I believe it is just residual contaminents that are burning off, nothing much to worry about unless it start to smoke like crazy