Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
f0rmula_2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

I am finishing up a new body and thought i would post some pics. I am in the process of a complete rebuild and motor swap. I think i am goin to put the axial .28rr it to hopefully compete with the sc8. I would go with a OS but i am trying to save some money right now. With the better traction of the buggy tires the 3.3 doesnt seem to have enough mid range power to drift around the corners.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30891.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1074546  
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
grumpopotamus

Hey There Formula, I have a Vspec out of my 8ight that im selling. I live in Appleton. PM me if your interested.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 AM
FastVee

ORIGINAL: RC 01 KID

So stealthbomber does your truck run on a deisel type of fuel or just regular nitro? Did that mod give you a lot more power? What about run times, are you seeing longer run times at all? The last thread i read about someone doing this mod they had a very hard time starting there truck, do you have this problem?? And are you still running glow plugs or is it like a spark plug??
Thanks, hope you dont mind me picking your brain a little...
Sorry for late response, I have not received any email notifications from rcu for a while[]

-Still all nitro!
-We have 2ft of snow atm, so I have not driven it after that mod. -it does feel and sound a lot more powerful now.
-Glow plugs still in use here.
-the starting is a bit harder(more compression) cause the new rod has no play at all on the wrist pin, so the piston goes higher then stock "wobbly" rod.

-Idle is ALOT better with this one(again cause the solid internals)

-You can pick my brain anytime, just dont look too close or you will have horrible nightmares.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
CarGuy7a

i just got mine broke in today. had a couple barrel rolls in the parking lot.......couple in my yard nothing serious though. i've always had electric crap and this is my first nitro. i'm completely satisfied with it. this thing will absolutely fly.

i do have a question though. this thing squats like a dog pinchin one lol. i've got the preload on the rear set about half way on the threads. is this squat normal or excessive? it squats so low that the body scrapes in the grass. would progressive 3 rockers help?

now all i have to do is build me a track.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at the slayer very closely and it looks like a revo 3.3 with short a-arms, smaller tires, different bumpers and a different body. I am wondering if i took my revo 2.5 put the small tires on it and the slayer body if it will look like the slayer? My first thought is that the wheels will stick out past the fenders of the body and since I have the revo 2.5 it doesnt have a long enought wheelbase and the wheel wells on the body will be in the wrong places. Am I correct? Thanks alot!
-Aaron
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
rcak

Isnt the 2.5 revo shorter then the 3.3? I think the slayer is the the same wheelbase as the 2.5, its not as long as the 3.3 i think. But Yes i think short arms, shafts, turnbuckles, would be needed to tuck the tires under the body. Let us know if your gonna do it!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:30 PM
So Cal

I think im just going to try my friends body on my Revo to see how it fits/looks. I think if i just got the slayer body, slayer tires it would look sweet. It wouldn't look like a trophy truck because the wheels whould hang out of the body. But it would have a custom look, like it had a longtravel kit or something.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 PM
rcak

It might look cool....Or maybe just weird.... Never now till you try. Hey do you know what is the stock wheel hexes on the Slayer? I like the realistic look, but have 17mm hexes on my truck.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
So Cal

Not sure on size but they arent 17mm. They are these http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/634954.asp but im sure they arent 17mm's.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
bambambennett

I am new to all of this so any help will be appreciated. I need info on these subjects:
1 Shock set up a good base to start with, this thing seems really soft and kick up from the rear, I set the preload on the springs the way the manual said. Any other tricks-oil-springs-ect?
2 Tires and wheels I am not sure if I will race this thing or not but my local track doesnt even have a class for it and state I will have to run with the truggies- can this thing be close to being competitive? If I run a larger wheel and tire, will I be able to run the monster truck class and be competitive?
3 Gearing right now it is stock and just broke in the motor, what gearing is reccomended for track use( the manual lists 3 different ratio set ups) and obviously this will depend on tire diameter too. Monster tire gearing? buggy tire gearing?
4 how about diff mods, searching around the net I found ball diffs available, is this a good idea?
5 how close is a Slayer to a Revo? they appear to be the same except the obvious differences like tire size and body. Do they use the same diff? same chassis? same suspension and suspension set up?
6 radio gear the rtr stuff seems to work just fine but will I have to upgrade to race at a track or is the stock equipment just fine?Maybe just buy a few more crystal sets?
7 fuel I got a bottle of Traxxis 20% nitro when I bought the set up, will this be fine or will I need to run something different?
8 carb I think it is running a bit rich right now due to lots of blue colored smoke under hard acceleration and it drips drops of oil onto my bench from the pipe when I park it, Is that normal?
9 If it is worthy of making a good race vehicle, are there any chassis must do's and upgrades.

I like running this truck. It is lots of fun, but I feel I might have made the wrong purchase for possibly racing, Opinions?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 AM
rcak

So Cal-Yea, I figure out they are 12mm and there are different front/rear. So that wont work for me. I may just use smooth buggy wheels and Proline Moabs till there is more options. I just wanted something with taller sidewalls.
BamBam-I dont have a Slayer so I wont be much help.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
f0rmula_2001

I havent been driving my slayer lately because its winter here but i can help some.

rcak- the wheel hubs are 14mm, the same all he way around. Pro-Line Just came out with new beadlock wheels and tires. Look really nice and i would imagine perform better than stock. I am waiting to get a set till i can drive mine. If u use buggy wheels u can get a set of 17mm adapters. There are all kinds of them available just about everywhere.

Bambambennet-
1-I am running 45wt oil in the shocks, all the way around right now. seems nice. i had 40 in the front and 50 in the rear and i jumped better then. i run the stock springs with about 4 turns of preload in the rear and 5 in the front.
2- Tires- At the track If you were racing a scale CORR class i would say try the Proline wheels and tires. the slash ones are great I would imagine the slayer ones would be just as good. Otherwise 1/8 buggy has all sorts of options for whatever racing conditions you might come across. For bashing i have some Proline MOABs that seem to hold up pretty good on all surfaces, i have a set of knuckles 2.0 that seem to give the truck pretty good handling on track surfaces. The buggy wheels take away from the scale look but you have a lot of nice options there.
3- i have the REVO center diff in mine so my gearing is a lot different than what most would be. 18t CB 34t SG. I got this before the Slayer center diff came out. For track racing i would probably gear it down some from the stock 15t CB and 36t SG to maybe a 16t or 17t CB and get adjust it so it is always in second. a gear shift is gonna get you squirrely and yo wont need 45 on a track.
4- I would use the Traxxas Slayer Center Diff and change the oil to at least 300k, I run 500k. you will need the rear brake kit with this.
5- The differences between the 2 are the Slayer Uses a slighly modded 2.5 chassis to make the rear brake kit fit. Shorter a arms and all the rods and drive shafts. Smaller tires. bumpers and body. and final gear in the tranny. CB and SG. It is a REVO 2.5 Chassis. so Most anything you can find for the 2.5 chassis should work. some 3.3 stuff will work too
6- The stock radio works but i wold recommend upgrading.
7- I have had the easiest time tuning on traxxas top fuel. 20% is a good balance of ease to tune vs power.
8- Carb Tuning Should be done per the books instructions. Otherwise YouTube has great tutorials on tuning. It will drip oil no matter what. thats what nitros do.
9- I am really hoping this and the SC8 turn into a strong class. These 2 trucks are the reason i got into RC.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:25 PM
rcak

Formula 2001- Thanks- lots of good help - I am deciding to either buy a slayer, or convert my muggy to CORR. Trying to get all the prices of things before i move ahead either way. if i convert im Looking for wheels-tires w/ the scale look, the slayer has a great price but small hexes, the SC8 has 17mm but are expensive. Traxxas tech support email says 12mm hexes,(seems too small) w/ different wheels front to rear (?) If the slayer wheels are 14mm, i wonder if i could find buggy style hexes that size? thanks again!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
scott71490

need help!! I bought a traxxas slayer and it is all ove the place when i hit the dirt track. the rear end is loose and all it wants to do is spin out. not only that but jumping sucks. it not consistant with horse power and only can find one other set of tires made for the truck and its made by proline. i would like to find some badlands to put on it but dont know if they make a adapter that will fit.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM
buffracer259
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys I have a post about my slayer Iam trying to get rid of it if anyone is interested PM me
Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
buffmeadows

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Revo center diff and brake kit and the Slayer ones?

My LHS has the revo ones in stock and I am wondering if they will work...

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Cynix

I thought I would chime in I have a Slayer with a picco .26max red dot and sway bars.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
slayer15

new here jus got mine!!! this is my firt rc car and having mad fun with it... whats the first upgrade i should do to my truck??

Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
tunerEx

here is my slayer and i love this thing so much power and fun
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
JJay03

This is a pretty cool truck wonder why they didnt go this way with the slash. Guess they wanted to make it more affordable.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Nice trucks everyone[8D]
Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Elviss

Hello to all I bought one of these trucks off E bay about a week ago at a very good price and I am really impressed with the power that this thing has. I have only been in this hobby for a month and my other nitro is a rustler. I added the swaybar kit to my slayer as it was having pretty heavy body roll .....helped alot but I am quickly learning that asphalt and slayers do not match very well as I have scratched and rolled it to many times so from know on I am very careful on paved surfaces with this truck. Only thing I have broken so far was a axle carrier so I bought the RPM units to use . Not real sure how I broke it either as I have not jumped it one time but the hard flips take there toll no doubt. I look forward to further posts on setup and tips on these cool little trucks.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
speedtrash

well guys i finally joined the darkside and bought a slayer. real fun truck, but in 2 days ive busted my servo and busted a clutch shoe. bummer she's sittin in my garage awaiting the arrival of my parts.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
CarGuy7a

hey guys. i see a few peeps from the traxxas forum here so i'll throw mine up here too.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
KILL--ROY

I am thinking about a slayer. How much fun are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.