Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HPI MT2 Stripping Gears

Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
LiLJohnSVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI MT2 Stripping Gears

I bought a MT2 recently and after running it, decided to change out the no powered factory motor. I installed an O.S. .18 on it. This motor has ungoddly torque and power. But now its stripping the front and rear ring and pinions every 3 tanks of fuel. I shimmed it to the point it barely turns and that helped a little. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: HPI MT2 Stripping Gears

Lay off the hard starts. the truck was not built to take all the power you have add to it. Going to have to drive it a little easier are it is going to strip gears
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: xcfds65

Lay off the hard starts. the truck was not built to take all the power you have add to it. Going to have to drive it a little easier are it is going to strip gears
Firts off dont lison to this chump, My self and alot of the other MT2 owners who post all the time in the MT2 Thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1505231/tm.htm We are all running OS.18 motors and never have problems with striping gears! It Sounds like your not meshing the gear proper. Get a small strip of paper and slide it between your clutch bell and spur gear, then tightin up the motor screws on the bottom of the chassis. As for the diffs how are you shimming them? perhaps you need to replace the diff houseing.

Slim.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
dittch
Banned

So you're not stripping the center gear, but the front and rear gears on he diffs? Something is not right. My brother-in-law has an MT2 with OS18 and it hauls. He beats the heck out of it all the time and doesn't strip these gears....2 years and going strong. Either you're shimming them wrong, or possible the casing they're mounted in is worn and needs replacement
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
xxSLiMxx

Also are you putting anything in the diffs? diff oil, greese anything like that?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
LiLJohnSVT

The truckis basically new, maybe 15 tanks of fuel ran thru it. Its the front and rear ring and pinion thats stripping. The center gear is still perfect. As far as grease i ran out of grease on the last replacement, so i used some axle grease. I can't see how the housing can be wore out already. I shimmed them very tight and that held up a lil better, but it still stripped them. What is the correct way to shim them to keep them from stripping? And what type of grease to use? I need all the help i can get, i went thru 4 set of gears already. i want to get this truck right, with the O.S. .18 this thing hauls tail.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: LiLJohnSVT

The truckis basically new, maybe 15 tanks of fuel ran thru it. Its the front and rear ring and pinion thats stripping. The center gear is still perfect. As far as grease i ran out of grease on the last replacement, so i used some axle grease. I can't see how the housing can be wore out already. I shimmed them very tight and that held up a lil better, but it still stripped them. What is the correct way to shim them to keep them from stripping? And what type of grease to use? I need all the help i can get, i went thru 4 set of gears already. i want to get this truck right, with the O.S. .18 this thing hauls tail.

Try useing white grease or any light weight grease. Your diff cups might not be worn out but the 4 little holes that you screw into to keep the large beveled gear could be stripped, there for the gear mesh keeps comming lose and stripping them.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 AM
spoonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What O.S are you running? .18TZ? If so make sure you have all the 18SS+ or 18SS upgrades. The kit versions have stronger parts. What MT2 do you have? A kit or was it RTR?

I recently got a 18tz for my MT2. You will need an aluminum rear diff housing off eBay (GPM is the only maker of these that I have found), or HPI has a set of carbon graphite which is meant to be stronger then the GPM Aluminum diff housings. Make your gearing around 14T and 49T You will need the heavy duty diff cups, dog bones, diff gears etc. Otherwise that's your problem the MT2 isn't built for 2.3 HP. Also a hint is that, even though you shouldn't do this but I would recommend buying the cheap 49T spur gears from HPI (plastic is a lot lighter and are only $3, so stripping isn't expensive) then slam your clutch bell into the spur gear hard so that the wheels move with some force. Run it for few tanks then it should losen up and the gearing will mesh nicely with each other this will also help with the force the engine will put on the drivetrain. This is up to you though, if anything goes wrong its not my fault!

This is just for the .18TZ, you shouldn't need to do anything to the MT2 18ss/+ if you have a .18 CVR-X.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM
xxSLiMxx

Im going to disagree on mashing your clutch/spur together. Its going to put a lot more strain on your motor, makeing it work harder and having to hit higher RPMs and run LOT hotter just to get the truck to move. You will kill the motor way faster that way, just a waste IMO. Plus you will be eatting clutch pads like crazy aswel.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJYM2&P=Z
get 2 sets of these and you will be fine
Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
grbxtony

i got the heavy duty set for mine on the rear and it solved my problem real fast. ha i guess running it 2wd for fun was a bad idea but the heavy duty sets should fix it. they run 40 bucks a set though
Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
LiLJohnSVT

Yeah i'm gonna get 2 sets of the heavy duty gears for my truck. I do know that the O.S. .18 CVR has some power, i like the way it spins all 4 tires at the hit of the throttle.