Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Jato 3.3 build

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
BXMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato 3.3 build

I've recently decided to get back into the hobby so i been wanting to build up my jato to make it somehow race worthy. Im sure plenty are going to think I am wasting my time because i know the jato is not the best handling but it is my favorite truck and most reliable so I am willing to put the time and money into it to make it better. Basically I am asking for opinions i put together a cart so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Im not sure if the link is going to work but heres the cart http://www.rcplanet.com/ShoppingCart.asp i picked this sight because the prices seem to best the best i have seen but if anyone has had an experience with them i would like to know if its good or bad.

heres the list without the engine

RPM Wide Front Bumper/A-Arm Mount Black Jato
$9.25
RPM Front A-Arms Black Jato (2)
$10.50
RPM Rear A-Arms Black Jato (2)
$10.50
Traxxas Aluminum Chassis Jato
$37.95
Traxxas Aluminum Turnbuckles Red Jato
$27.95
Traxxas Exhaust Header Jato
$16.95
Traxxas Steel Drive Shaft Kit Jato ?or would the mip be a better buy?
$39.95
Traxxas Throttle & Brake Linkage Set Jato
$7.95
Traxxas Sway Bar Kit Jato 3.3
$17.50
Traxxas Single Speed Conversion Kit Jato
$8.95
RC Screwz Stainless Steel Screw Kit Jato 3.3
$23.95
total is $211.40
i have some stock parts in there because the jato had a bad experience with a tree at about 45 so its been sitting since
I am also planning on getting a wing so if anyone recommends any , and i would like to get a .12 engine so if anyone has experience with them which would be good for under $300 and a pipe don't matter the price
I am also planning on getting some new tires for it , i want to have this build completed by next summer so any tips opinions r welcomed thanks....
Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

Default RE: Jato 3.3 build

I'm no jato expert but i always wanted the ext chasis from new era i figured it would give the car the stability to be say like a rc10gt, and you could put a .21 in there that would be more relaxed or more reliable on longer runs. i'm not sure a .12 or a .15 could get the tranny to shift right "just a geuss" but i've had a few tranny issue's with smaller mill's and 2 speeds anyway, i've seen a few jato's with the works and i think their cool.

I just remembered your doing away with the 2 speed but since the car has more weight than most 2wd st's the bigger mill should be wecome or just a better one. my bud has the single conversion and it's a torque house.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Chris_RC

Why dont you just get a xxxnt? [&:]
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
BXMaxx

Im not really interested in buying anything else. Im sure the xxxnt is a great car but i honestly would like to stick to my jato....

I've never seen the ext chassis and i will surely look into it. Would you happen to know how much it cost?
I haven't looked into a new motor yet because i am not sure as to which fit,i am putting in a single speed because i would like it to be more controllable i am not really looking for top speed i prefer torque. i just want a good constant motor that could push the jato to maybe 40
Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
vote4nitro

why a .12 engine....get a .21
Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 PM
BXMaxx

Im looking into the .12 because i want a controllable truck Im not into the .21 i looked into it n i noticed to convert would cost more then i was planning on spending...
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Mspeed

BXMaxx,

You mentioned that you would like to make your jato race worthy. The jato has a poor reputation for being competitive at the track; however, it has potential. The main thing holding back the jato vs some of the other race bread ST's is the center battery compartment. After you tweek your suspention, throw the 5 degree toe in, maxx the squat out, toss the way over powered motor, single speed, adjust gearing, get some tires, your getting somewhere. But you still have that center battery compartment that pushes your tank, receiver, throttle servo all forward. This shifts the weight balance more toward the front compared to other ST's that dont have that optional battery compartment. Sure the extra battery compartment is great for some types of courses, like mainly circle tracks, but in most situations it holds the jato back from being a real hard core competitor vs the GT2 and XXX-nt. I personally like having the center battery compartment for use with my larger tires, it helps alot with balanceing it out in larger jumps. But, on my race jato, its well worth doing the extra work to get rid of it and move everything back.

For racing id go .12 all the way. Control like you mentioned is key. The bigger motors are just way too much. Plus, rules for ST"s are usually .12, single speed, 2.2 tires. Their are alot of .12 motors out there, just depends what you want to go with. I know with some moding you can fit alot of different .12's in the jato. Some are even a handful for the track. I know a guy who has tried the Picco Red dot EVO .12 in his jato. He even had it moded with matching pipe, he claims it can keep up with the stock 3.3. I always stick with the Traxxas Upgraded chassis. ITs lighter, less flex, and stronger than stock. The bigger Newera one is mainly to fit .21 and up sized motors and I can only assume it will hold you back even more on a race track if thats what your going to do with the jato.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
BXMaxx

Thank you Mspeed,
I thought bout what you said and Im curious as to how would i be able to move everything back? Before i had left the hobby i remember a lot of people saying that the jato wasn't a racer at all mainly just a basher but Im up to the challenge of making it a decent racer. I know that it will never be as competitive of a racer as the losi but it does not bother me.

Last night i had started looking into motors that will be a possible choice for me and right now Im leaning towards an Rb. I've ran a .28 that my cousin has from them and we had no problem breaking it in or tuning it so Im sure the .12s will be the same. There are also .15s that look promising so right now Im just searching around would you have any recommendations for a motor ?

right now i have a spectrum 2.0 for it and I have the piggybacks from integy which Im planning on getting rid of.
Is there anything else that you think should be added to the list?

and not to ask a noobish question but all the rb .12s r for onroad use so would that mean i wouldn't be able to use it in my jato?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

ORIGINAL: BXMaxx

Im not really interested in buying anything else. Im sure the xxxnt is a great car but i honestly would like to stick to my jato....

I've never seen the ext chassis and i will surely look into it. Would you happen to know how much it cost?
I haven't looked into a new motor yet because i am not sure as to which fit,i am putting in a single speed because i would like it to be more controllable i am not really looking for top speed i prefer torque. i just want a good constant motor that could push the jato to maybe 40

i think there around 100 bucks ! you get.............
Ext chasis
motor mounts
exhaust header
few other parts, screws pipe hangar
it's really a nice package even if you only want it for the longer chasis.

New era has a rep for building heavy metal but traxxas offers NO ext chasis so new era is a option ! where there's none !
The Jato to me is the best rc from traxxas because it was well designed from a speed and bash standpoint, the jato is a great lil truck and with upgrades like what you want to do it should be a good race truck ! once you start changing stuff it's going to be whatever you want it to be !!!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
TMaxxDriver

The Jato to me is the best rc from traxxas because it was well designed from a speed and bash standpoint, the jato is a great lil truck and with upgrades like what you want to do it should be a good race truck ! once you start changing stuff it's going to be whatever you want it to be !!!
[/quote]

I totally agree here... The Jato is a great all around truck. It has the option to become whatever you want it to be.

With a little money you can turn it into an offroad basher.

With a little money, you can turn it into a racer.

My Jato will do a wheelie on command, all the way down the road, if I can control it right. [X(]

For me, I just put in a little money, and got upper/lower aluminum braces, which are very good support for when you crash into things at high speeds. Without this upgrade, I have seen many people break the upper chassis plate. A friend of mine, replaced his one day because it broke right at the front screws, 5 mins later crashed into a telephone pole at high speed, and broke the same thing he just replaced!!! [sm=lol.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I would like to do a few other things to mine, I'm not a racer, but love to go fast. I mostly want to make it more durable/off road/basher. I want to get the Traxxas Aluminum red turnbuckles, RPM arms, bigger/beefier tires, and maybe a few other things.

I just wanted to chime in, and share my experience on the Jato. I just recently got it on a trade, I have more experience with the Tmaxx that I have had for a while now. Overall, the Jato is a great all around RC. I am happy to have it in my collection, and will be adding a Revo 3.3 soon. Very soon.[8D]
Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
BXMaxx

like you tmaxx my first truck which i still have happened to be a tmaxx. I had spent so much money on parts for it but i cant lie when i say it wasn't my most reliable []. I bought a 4tec not to long after n wow was it fun its been crashed into walls jumped over speed bumps n hasn't broken yet haha now that car was reliable . The jato also took a great beating never had problems with it i ran it every day one summer made ramps hit trees haha who hasn't but it was tough... the last tree happened to be the one that took it out but im planning on building it back up im hoping to have this project done by next summer.
Ill let you guys know how it goes..