Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

TRAXXAS

Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 AM
KILL--ROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAXXAS

Anyone on here think they should update the nitro rustler.
1. Upgrade to the 2.5r
2. Put the reciver in a box, include the mirco reciver, with the 2.4ghz radio
3. Include the metal u-joints, or jato driveshafts
4. Update the transmission with the steel diff gears, that are used on the vxl.
5. Black 2.8 rims with pro-line type dirt tires.
6. New body style.

That would be a great truck, I would buy one.
Why dont traxxas do this? I have had a rustler for the past 10 years, and it has not changed,
The 2.5 and the new body and tires are it.

COME ON TRAXXAS it is a great truck, show it some love.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
The_Collector

Default RE: TRAXXAS

You almost answered your own question. That chassis has been around for at least 13 years, revised, revisited and revamped numerous times. I think Traxxas has brought it as far as they need to.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Mr. Clean338

1. The nitro sport is a .15, the Rustler is a 2.5, and the JATOO is a 3.3, so I think it should stay like that.
2. Personal Preference.
3.yes
4. yes, but the VXL stamped/rusty/bandit gears wont work.
5. I like the chrome ones
6. I think it was recently changed, if not, check back next year.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I agree. I think the driveshafts are mainly the only gripe i have even with my ooold rustler. It really is a great little truck.

Here is what i say about the chassis design being old.... Yes, its an old design, but it works great and is a very tough truck that is meant for bashing, not racing. Why change it?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Chris_RC

What if what if what if.... What if Losi made the 8 2.0 in a RTR with the DX3R, GRP .21 tuned engine, $240 in servos, etc. What if what if what if...

The rustler is old enough as it is. You can get a better basher, more raceable platform for cheaper (Firestorm). Face it, the rustler needs to retire. Its been 16 years.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM
CarGuy7a

16 years and still going STRONG lol
Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

What if what if what if.... What if Losi made the 8 2.0 in a RTR with the DX3R, GRP .21 tuned engine, $240 in servos, etc. What if what if what if...

The rustler is old enough as it is. You can get a better basher, more raceable platform for cheaper (Firestorm). Face it, the rustler needs to retire. Its been 16 years.

Durability wise, Id put my rustler against a firestorm anyday. It might not be quite as good of a racer, but i bet its not much worse either. I like the firestorm, but i really dont feel that its a better truck than the rustler.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
KILL--ROY

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I agree. I think the driveshafts are mainly the only gripe i have even with my ooold rustler. It really is a great little truck.

Here is what i say about the chassis design being old.... Yes, its an old design, but it works great and is a very tough truck that is meant for bashing, not racing. Why change it?
I agree, but they could update the truck with some things, like the radio box, and the 2.5r with a good pipe, or they should just drop
the platform, and put the 2.5r in the jato with some dirt rubber, and put some good hex hardware on the truck, I hate those crappy screws.

What do you guys think about the jato, I was thinking about doing just that to a new one.
I have a new in box 2.5r, the 3.3 is to much for the truck in the dirt.
And some pro-line bowties, I dont race just bash.

I like my rustler, but when it comes time to replace it I might go jato,
Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM
cummins driver

Seems the Jato has problems with the transmission under much power. I like the rustler better myself, but both have their strong points.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 AM
KILL--ROY

Seems the Jato has problems with the transmission under much power. I like the rustler better myself, but both have their strong points.
Have you done any mods to your rustler?
I dont care for the 2 speed in the jato, but they do have a single speed conversion.

Well I think I will drop the 2.5r in the rusty, I also have the traxxas alum. pipe.

The steel ring diff gear from the vxl wont fit the rusty?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Chris_RC

Traxxas is in ths for the money. For 90% of the people in the hobby, they went to their LHS and picked up a Traxxas. They have no clue how bad their quality is (i.e. phillips screws? [X(]) and have no idea what a 2.4ghz radio is becuase their traxxas tq radio (also about 16 years old).

The jato is for pure speed and nothing else.

The rustler is for the average joe coming into the hobby shop wanting to go offroad.

LOL, The steel ring diff gear will NOT fit both the VXL and nitro rustler.

KILL-ROY, you are limiting yourself to Traxxas. They are good for entry level hobbyists, but when you get into more advanced things there are many things that Traxxas lacks behind. Go get a Losi, HPI, Associated, Kyosho, Mugen, etc. and you will feel the difference in performance and quality.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
bubble27

Hey would you also add revo to that list?

i think its their best product....but is it a money digging truck??
Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
cummins driver

Traxxas is in ths for the money. For 90% of the people in the hobby, they went to their LHS and picked up a Traxxas. They have no clue how bad their quality is (i.e. phillips screws? [X(]) and have no idea what a 2.4ghz radio is becuase their traxxas tq radio (also about 16 years old).

The rustler is for the average joe coming into the hobby shop wanting to go offroad.

KILL-ROY, you are limiting yourself to Traxxas. They are good for entry level hobbyists, but when you get into more advanced things there are many things that Traxxas lacks behind. Go get a Losi, HPI, Associated, Kyosho, Mugen, etc. and you will feel the difference in performance and quality.
Obviously you dont like traxxas. Thats fine, its your opinion.

And honestly, do you think the other R/C manufacturers arent in it for the money???

You know I have looked at some losi, mugen, and associated Stadium Trucks. And you know what... All the suspension arms are paper thin compared to the rustler. Dont give me this BS about how they are more flexible and dont break and all this crap, because they are WEAK arms. They do not hold up well to bashing. Also, as far as mugen and kyosho go. Its like pulling teeth to find parts for those trucks at a hobby shop. I feel like HPI makes some good stuff, but honestly, for what im doing, why would i sell my truck i can get parts for almost anywhere right now, and buy a more expensive truck with less aftermarket options and less local parts support? If I was racing, I might appreciate the extra weight savings of the weak suspension arms of some of the other trucks, but you cant tell me anything out there is better for me for what i do with my truck. Yes, other trucks are a little more race bred, but even if i was racing, id want to be doing it with my rustler. I dont think there is that much difference in the "race trucks" other than price and a few screws

I have owned other brands than traxxas. Honestly, I just havent seen anything i though was head over heels better and had as good of parts support.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:53 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: KILLROY

Have you done any mods to your rustler?
I dont care for the 2 speed in the jato, but they do have a single speed conversion.

Well I think I will drop the 2.5r in the rusty, I also have the traxxas alum. pipe.

The steel ring diff gear from the vxl wont fit the rusty?
My rustler is stone stock. Other than the motor which changes from day to day I need to try my O.S. .18 cv-r on it soon. My little pro .15 is a pretty sweet motor in my rustler really. I havent had any problems with it so far, and it actually has good power in the light rustler. Im sure ill get spoiled when i put the O.S. in though[8D]
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Chris_RC

Obviously you dont like traxxas. Thats fine, its your opinion.

And honestly, do you think the other R/C manufacturers arent in it for the money???

You know I have looked at some losi, mugen, and associated Stadium Trucks. And you know what... All the suspension arms are paper thin compared to the rustler. Dont give me this BS about how they are more flexible and dont break and all this crap, because they are WEAK arms. They do not hold up well to bashing. Also, as far as mugen and kyosho go. Its like pulling teeth to find parts for those trucks at a hobby shop. I feel like HPI makes some good stuff, but honestly, for what im doing, why would i sell my truck i can get parts for almost anywhere right now, and buy a more expensive truck with less aftermarket options and less local parts support? If I was racing, I might appreciate the extra weight savings of the weak suspension arms of some of the other trucks, but you cant tell me anything out there is better for me for what i do with my truck. Yes, other trucks are a little more race bred, but even if i was racing, id want to be doing it with my rustler. I dont think there is that much difference in the "race trucks" other than price and a few screws

I have owned other brands than traxxas. Honestly, I just havent seen anything i though was head over heels better and had as good of parts support.

The RC manafaufacturers that arent in it for the money are the oens who still put out quality race kits. The hobby is turning into a bash only hobby-95% of RC's bought will never hit the track. Horizon bought out Losi and Thunder Tiger bought out Associated for this reason- you cant just make race kits and expect to survive. Losi has 2 companies-Losi and Losi sport. Losi sport is for their mini and micro RTR mdoels, Losi is for their 1/10 and 1/8 race models. So they et the money of selling RTR's to fund R&D for their race kits. The Desert truck, speed t, highroller, and mini rock crawler funded R&D for the 8ight 2.0 and 8ight T 2.0.

You DO NOT want arms to be flexible. If they are, it will cause the car to handle like a sponge. I like graphite arms which the XXX-NT has, gives it a nice stiff ride. And I have had many Losi's in my life, and have NEVER broken an arm.

If you would actually go to a halfway decent LHS, one that has a race track and races 1/8 buggy, they should have parts for Mugen and Kyosho. Plus, I buy most/all of my parts online.

With a good race truck, there is ABSOLUTITLEY no need to buy all these aftermarket parts because it is perfect right out of the box. You dont need to upgrade the whole thning for it to handle good or replace week parts.

You dont think there is any difference in a race truck besides price and a few screws? The rustler has extremely cheap PLASTIC shocks, ,not even threaded. If you get a good race truck, they are hard anadonized aluminum threaded, titanium nitrade shock shafts, etc. Race teams put countless hours into making the truck better in any way, even if it means 1 second faster in a 45 minute main. Thet cahnge everyhting to suspension geometry, transmission ratio, etc. There is soo many more things. If you think a traxxas rustler will handle like a xxx-nt, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Sounds like you got a killer Rusty
Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
bubble27

Man i agree with you. Ive had a jato and all i did was speed runs. didnt handle very well and isnt multi terrain.

i think traxxas spends more money on advertising than on research & development lol
seems like its working though!

i want an honest NEUTRAL opinion about the revo. overall is it a good truck?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
cummins driver

Chris_RC

I think we arent thinking that far off of each other, its just that you are looking at it at much more of a racers view than i am.

Id love to run mine on a track some, but the LHS only runs electric indoor as of right now. Although i think he has an outdoor track, so i need to ask him if he plans to run nitro outside any during the summer. If i got hooked on racing i may very well upgrade to a more race worthy truck.

For bashing though, i dont think it would be worth my time to change to something else. So far i really like my rustler.

I wish all R/C's were kits, not just the race trucks. A lot of people have no idea of the workings of their r/c because of the fact that they havent torn one apart or built one. My electric traxxas stampede i bought back in the day was a kit and i built it and ran it for years until i recently traded it for my nitro rustler.

I agree there are several differences in a race truck and a basher, but i still dont think there are HUGE gains to be had. Truck setup, prep, and the driver are big parts of racing. But, the shocks on the rustler leave something to be desired since the caps blow off on any hard landing.

Anyways, what im getting at is that I think the rustler is an awesome basher and could be an alright race truck, where as a losi or associated are awesome racers, and alright bashers. Which is where our difference in opinion comes from.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Chris_RC

Ok, now we are on the same page agian. Yes, I do wish all RCs were kits. it is just the kids that come in a hobby shop and want to run it NOW and run, run, run with no maintence the people who took kits out of the picture.

I really like racing 1/10 gas truck. it is my 2nd favorite class behind 1/8 buggy. Something with driving an extremely overpowered squirrely car makes it fun!