Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

What to get....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
ztripp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get....

I have been driving on-road cars for 8 years now but I now want to get into off-road (stadium truck). So, I have been looking into a few trucks but I want the real opinion from the true experts!

RC10 GT2
HPI - MT2 G3.0/Firestorm
Jato
XXX-NT

Let me know.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: What to get....

The 2 race worthy trucks are the GT2 and XXX-NT. You can get a NT Sport rtr 2 for about $220 NIB on ebay, and it comes with a computer radio, good RTR engine, and a electric starting system. It is also bashable to a point, and there are some upgrades available. It handles the best out of the group, along with the GT2. The firestorm is a great basher and handles just ok. The jato is good for onroad speed runs but when it comes to handling the NT and GT2 are alot better. The NT goes 45, GT2 goes around 38-40mph. Firestorm goes about 37. The faster you get, the more broken parts. 45mph is all you need. Any more and you will struggle to find traction. If im not mistaken, Surprise is only 15-30 mintues from Wittmann, Arizona, home of the nitro pit. They have a bunch of huge races and is a very nice track. I would go to that track and see what they are running.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
MattVid
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ztripp

I have been driving on-road cars for 8 years now but I now want to get into off-road (stadium truck). So, I have been looking into a few trucks but I want the real opinion from the true experts!

RC10 GT2
HPI - MT2 G3.0/Firestorm
Jato
XXX-NT

Let me know.

Thanks in advanced.
Chris had some good input, but it really depends what you want to do with the truck. If you want to race, you will get something different than a straight basher. The GT/GT2 seems to be the ST that a lot of tracks use, but I would definitely check with your local track to see what kind of trucks they are running if you do want to race.

All the trucks are fast, I know my MT2 goes 40-45MPH pretty easily. Honestly, you can barely control it at that speed anyways, you will just be slidding and skidding around. I was in the same position as you a couple months ago and I decided on the MT2, mainly for the 4WD. That is the reason I didn't get the FireStorm, XXX-NT or the GT2, and I also wanted a kit that I could build, and not a RTR.

Good luck searching around, I can give some more input if you can give more details on what you plan on doing with the car, as that would make a difference in what you get.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
ztripp

Cool thanks guys!!! Wittman and The Nitro Pit are really close to my house. I live about 10-15 minutes from there. I am new to the area and didn't even know about it. Thanks again. I am more so looking into racing then bashing. I will look into the MT2 and the RC10. Any other help would be appriecated. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
EARRNHARDT3

Jato 3.3 for pure speed but not very good for off roading.

RC-10 GT Good for racing but I found it to be easy to break just bashing around in the back yard.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Chris_RC

The nitro pit doesnt race the MT2, and races the xxxnt and gt2, but here is a video of the track [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oc_2Q2Wk5w[/link]. As you can see it is extremely big with HUGE jumps, and it would break a 1/10 gas truck very easily. I dont want to sway you but 1/8 buggy or truggy might be better for racing at that track and they are way more durable than 1/10 gas trucks. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
MattVid
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

The nitro pit doesnt race the MT2, and races the xxxnt and gt2, but here is a video of the track [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oc_2Q2Wk5w[/link]. As you can see it is extremely big with HUGE jumps, and it would break a 1/10 gas truck very easily. I dont want to sway you but 1/8 buggy or truggy might be better for racing at that track and they are way more durable than 1/10 gas trucks. Just my opinion though.
Yea, like I was saying, 4WD ST's are basically dead as far as racing goes, but I do love mine. And as far as that track goes, you have to compare apples to apples (1/8 to 1/8) if you are talking about durability. Of course a 1/10th will be less durable than a 1/8, it is smaller. I know I trash my MT2 up pretty good and it seems to hold up fine, and the extra clearance is much better for jumping than a 1/8 buggy.

It all depends what you are doing with it. It does sound like he is wanting to race, so the GT2 and the XXX-NT are probably your best bet if you want to do ST class racing. Otherwise some kind of 1/8 truggy or buggy would be a good choice as well. I know I have been eyeing an XRay 808 or a Mugen MBX-6 for a while as another thing to build while it is still cold outside :P
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
ztripp

Thanks again. NOW, back to the drawing board. LOL. I am now going to have to decided on what to get a 1/10 or 1/8. I will look into it and let you guys know.