Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

a question about my temp???

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
adam313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question about my temp???

i finally ran my car yesterday and i thought that it was runnin good but the temperature was between 240 and 260 is that a good temp to be running it at and i did sum high speed runs in the dark and scared me pretty bad but it felt awesome to finally get my car out after winter
Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
TGreg

Default RE: a question about my temp???

honestly an engine can run up to 250 with being safe, but most of the time with all my engines, i can run a engine at no more than 210 degrees and have plenty of power. Check your tune.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
adam313

what kind of tuning (im not very experienced) should i richen it, lean it or wat thanks TGreg
Old 03-08-2009, 06:42 PM
MMT GUNS

As long you have a streak of smoke on your pipe when you run the car is fine, also don't let your temp pas 260. 260 is lean in my book but in some engine it works well like my O.S .18

What kind of engine displacement you have?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
usa98030

keep it at 250 below[&o] im so careful that i keep mine at 210 without a body and 240 with body. Well if you want wheelies maybe you can do 260 for 1 min!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: usa98030

keep it at 250 below[&o] im so careful that i keep mine at 210 without a body and 240 with body. Well if you want wheelies maybe you can do 260 for 1 min!
This is untrue. Engine temps really dont mean anything. I could urn my engines at 290 degrees if there was still plenty of smoke coming out. I tune by performance and sound, with temperature the least of my worries. If it gets close to 300 I richen it though. I dont check temps much, but my engines normally have a race tune at about 230 degrees. There are many other factors too. Like if the cooling head is effective. The GRP .21 tuned engine's cooling head is SOO effective, everyone runs those engines at 170-200 degrees, and lean is consdier 230. 230 on that engine is like 270 on most engines. Also factor in the hottness of the glow plug, fuel, oil and nitro %, pipe makes a big difference too. Engines are picky on pipes and can cause an engine to not have good performanc,e run hot, and have horrible fuel mileage.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM
adam313

my engine is the 2.5 and that temp was with the body on and doin some wheelies but there was a good stream of smoke coming out of the pipe thanks for the help guys
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
adam313

yea my car was runnin with a lower temp today around 210 to 220 but i wasnt running as hard, i did some pretty good jumps but i crashed many times (im trying to learn how to adjust the level of the car by braking it and gasing it in the air) i thought for sure that i broke a front a-arm a few times i nose dived and landed on the front left tire from about 10 or 15 feet and my rustler seems to hold up good
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
usa98030

RUSTLERS ARE LIKE TANKS COMPLETELY STOCK!!! Well not really cause they can't ran over But change your a arms to RPM, those are so strong! I had one clamped and ran over by a toyota tundra!!! I broke the clamp instead of the A arms[:@][:@][:@] Freaken steel bends
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
TGreg

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: usa98030

This is untrue. Engine temps really dont mean anything. I could urn my engines at 290 degrees if there was still plenty of smoke coming out. I tune by performance and sound, with temperature the least of my worries. If it gets close to 300 I richen it though. I dont check temps much, but my engines normally have a race tune at about 230 degrees. There are many other factors too. Like if the cooling head is effective. The GRP .21 tuned engine's cooling head is SOO effective, everyone runs those engines at 170-200 degrees, and lean is consdier 230. 230 on that engine is like 270 on most engines. Also factor in the hottness of the glow plug, fuel, oil and nitro %, pipe makes a big difference too. Engines are picky on pipes and can cause an engine to not have good performanc,e run hot, and have horrible fuel mileage.
Exactly! When you start racing your view of the rc world changes. Just because your temp is higher doesnt mean that you have more power, my sts runs at 210 degrees F and is just as fast as some RBs. plenty of power.

Its funny you said you have a 2.5, because in my first post i was gonna say "except for the 2.5, its the only engine ive even come across that loves to run hot". If your running a 2.5 the only thing you can do is tune it until it has good power, while it still has smoke. When your at that point turn the needles rich about an eighth of a turn.

If you really want me to do a detailed write up on how to tune i will.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well I think there is a little bit of truth in everything above. Its a combination of temperature, smoke and performance.
~250-280 is a good range but some motors do run better closer to 300 and still live a nice long life.
Fuel % always plays a part in this.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
adam313

im runnin my truck on traxxas 20% but i asked you guys before what kind of fuel to get and ill get different fuel once i run out with my first gallon
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
adam313

usa98030 i have rpm arms in the rear bcuz i broke the stock ones the first day i got it but ill get the front ones when i break them

the rear arms were a tight fit, i had to file the arms bcuz the pin wouldnt fit through all the way but i havent broke them yet
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Engine temp don't mean a thing. It's all relative to outside air temp, humidity, fuel type, glow plug... the list is endless, like they said, just make it leaner on the high speed needle until there's no longer any noticeable increase in performance, then richen the high speed 1/8 of a turn and do some test runs to make sure there's a nice trail of smoke/oil. Then throw away the temp gun. I've had engines get over 300 and still run fine without grenading themselves. Just make absolutely certain there is a trail of smoke and oil, or your motor will lock up and that is heartbreaking.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
usa98030

Of coarse you would take your temp then think if its ok for that outside temperature and humidity and all that!!! Buts its always better to check for perfomance and the stream of smoke coming out of the pipe. THe temp just gives you a safety net in some way. Yeah adam, i would change your front a arms to rpm, caster block to aluminum
Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: adam313

im runnin my truck on traxxas 20% but i asked you guys before what kind of fuel to get and ill get different fuel once i run out with my first gallon
This fuel brand works best on all of my RC cars I recommend it is a good fuel but is your duty to search witch best suits your engine needs.

[link=http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN2320]Info click here[/link]

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
TGreg

ORIGINAL: MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: adam313

This fuel brand works best on all of my RC cars I recommend it is a good fuel but is your duty to search witch best suits your engine needs.

[link=http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN2320]Info click here[/link]

wrong. o'donnels is the norm in racing and anyone who wants to take their bashing seriously. also other good brands are byrons, sidewinders ect. blue thunder is ok, but it dyes your engine internals blue [&:]. Best bet is 30% o'donnels sport. But honestly everyone has their opinions on fuels, to each their own. Cheers

[link=http://www.odonnellracing.com/fuel/r2rfuel.html]Go here and its part number is ODOP3430[/link]
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
MMT GUNS

I'm wrong at what?

I have try O'Donnell with bad results on my engines got Blue Thunder problem solved. I've been using it for 6 years straight and wont go back.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Chris_RC

That Blue Thunder is a RTR fuel so it has alots of oil. I have ran fuels like Nitrotane (my favorite) and Trinity Platinum to fuels like Traxxas [:'(]. My favrotie is nitrotane 20% Race. Gives great power, easy to tune and very low temps.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
98ls1ttop

the mach 26 engine on my tmaxx beater doesnt hardly run unless its 260. runs the best at about 285 to 290, any more and the smoke starts to slow down and it starts cutting out.

my buddy has a brand new jato 3.3 that runs best at 190. both trucks are using the same glow plug and fuel, 20% byron fuel. hopefully new newly ordered jato 3.3 will run that cool after break in
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
usa98030

Tgreg is right! It dies your engine blue! to remove it use wd-40 and spin engine. Well i like odonell racing fuel the best!!! NO R2R!!! thats stuff is crap
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
MMT GUNS

I think adam313 is into bashing his truck what makes me think he dosent care much about Racing fuel as far as bashing goes. Blue Thunder have Racing fuel as well either he could go racing 20% or bashing 30% blue thunder got him cover and yes it dies your engine blue FOR ENGINE PROTECTION read.

I never heard a person with commonsense dissing Blue Thunder at all (ignorance) I wouldn't say the same thing about Biron or the XTM fuel I heard they are good as well.

[link=http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN2370]Blue Thunder Racing Fuel[/link]
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
TGreg

ORIGINAL: MMT GUNS

I think adam313 is into bashing his truck what makes me think he dosent care much about Racing fuel as far as bashing goes. Blue Thunder have Racing fuel as well either he could go racing 20% or bashing 30% blue thunder got him cover and yes it dies your engine blue FOR ENGINE PROTECTION read.

I never heard a person with commonsense dissing Blue Thunder at all (ignorance) I wouldn't say the same thing about Biron or the XTM fuel I heard they are good as well.

[link=http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN2370]Blue Thunder Racing Fuel[/link]
relax man!! haha no ones dissing your blue thunder. its good. its not crappy fuel. but 1. its not the best and 2. blue dye does not protect your engine. Honestly he should just use whatever fuel his hobby shop carries to make it easy on him.

Im on your side man, your from Green Bay, ive been a packer fan since i was five.

On a side note, this so called "RTR Fuel" or "Sport fuel" or whatever the companies are calling it these days are worst for your engine than racing fuel. theres a reason why its cheaper, its because it uses more oil than nitro, which to a person just getting into the hobby thinks is great but its really not. They use more oil in them to cut cost, not protect your engine, it actually cause your engine to run hotter with more oil.

Idk if that makes sense. But in other words, racing fuel has the perfect blend of nitro to oil, while rtr or sport fuel has a abundance (or too much) oil which is bad for you engine. Its almost like with two stroke lawn mower how you have to mix your own fuel, its like putting double the oil in that your suppose to, not good for your engine, gums it up.

Which is why i recommend no less than 20% nitro fuel, i have ran and always will run 30% regardless of what brand it is.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
TGreg

on a double note, You should not believe everything you read on a label or in a magazine, ESPECIALLY in this hobby! Most labels are suppose to make their product seem like the best, and mostly all if not all magazines are paid by the companies to run their ads and do reviews saying the trucks good.

triple side note: The most bul*Sh!* thing you can believe in this hobby is engine hp ratings lol
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
adam313

i measured how far i was jumpin my car its between 15 and 20 feet but i have trouble hittin the ramp sometimes where do most of you guys stand when you ramp yours, beside the ramp or behind the ramp?? one time i was goin up to hit the jump and i ran out of gas rite b4 i hit it and forgot i still had brakes and i nose dived its still fun tryin to jump

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.