Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

What should I get?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get?

I've been flying airplanes for about the past 6 years and I want something to fly around the track they have at our flying field.. I was looking into a Nitro Rustler and I can get one used from a LHS that deals specifically with cars (Jerry's RC in Lino Lakes, MN). What other trucks should I look closer at that are comparable to the Rustler? I just want something to haul ass around with in the road, grass, or track. I don't have too much money to throw around at it either though and I can get a rustler RTR for $150 from Jerry's (last I talked to him) which I feel is a fairly good deal.
I used to own a nitro 4-tec which was a blast because it screamed down the road but it wasn't fun because I couldn't go off road with it so I traded it for an airplane.
Also, if I have the radio would I be better off buying just the car and buying an engine for it?? Thoughts? thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 AM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What should I get?

the rustler's number 1 competitor is probably the hpi firestorm. Those go for $250 new, and the Rustler is around $300 new. They are very similar in handling, speed, etc. But for 150$, that sounds like a good deal. Try to find out how much it's been used and what, if anything, is wrong with it
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I would look into getting a used Associated RC10GT2. Much better speed and handling.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
NitroNate

The GT2 is not faster than the Rustler or the Firestorm...

The Firestorm offers more durability,reliablity,handling and its underpriced...The Rustler offers more speed and parts support...Your choice.
38-40mph 50mph

One thing about Traxxas is their durability issues...RPM(Aftermarket parts manufacture)makes a living because of this.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
larryf333

Have you driven an RC10GT2?

Also, I have never had an issue with Traxxas's durability. Every Traxxas vehicle I have had has been almost bulletproof. You have to do something really stupid with them to break them. If you get the Firestorm, make sure you go through and check every nut, screw and bolt on it. My Bro-in-law just got one and the engine mounting screws, exhaust header screws and countless other screws on the truck were all loose. Not saying not to get one, I have driven my Bro-in-law's and it does okay, but I much prefer the handling characteristics of the RC10GT2. The Firestorm is too twitchy and jumpy. As far as bashing goes though, I'd go Monster Truck all the way, there's almost no place you can't drive them. ST's do okay in very short grass, but are mainly for dirt, whereas MT's can go through just about anything.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I own 2 HPI RS4 2's, 2 RC10GT's and a Jato 3.3. The reason why I mention this is so I don't get bashed for my support for Traxxas. I would strongly reccomend the Jato 3.3 for its diverse capabilitys. Here are my reasons why.
1) It is fast.
2) It is a great performer on road and pretty decent off road.
3) Despite of what other poeple may say the Jato can take a beating. I had my stock a arms for almost a year b4 slapping on the RPM ones. No the stock ones did not break I still have them in my tool box.
4) No crazy mods to run off road. The transition is pretty easy. For off road I use the ProLine BADLAND tires and raise the suspension. For off road I slap on the JACO foam tires and lower the suspension. That's it. Its that simple.
5) Great after market support.
6) Lastly I was able to find a very good used JATO 3.3 on Craigs List for 200.00 bucks.
Hope this helps. By the way the Rusty is also a very good truck and reliable. Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
larryf333

Good advice quietnas1. I hadn't thought about the Jato, but it is very fast and very durable. Almost all of Traxxas's vehicles can take a good beating and keep on going. There's nothing wrong with supporting a company that offers the support Traxxas does for it's customers.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:44 PM
NitroNate

Why do I always have to mention the nylon test to prove my point about durability....
RCBasher.com did a nylon strength test and proved who's nylon is the strongest.RPM came out on top of course..Next to them came HPI,and then came AE and Losi,leaving Traxxas somewhere near the end...
Sure,Traxxas durability might be good enough for you,but when I make the transition from HPI to Traxxas,i'll drive it the exact same way I drove my HPI truck.Problems...?Yes.
I bash my Firestorm everytime the wheels are spinning...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

Why do I always have to mention the nylon test to prove my point about durability....
RCBasher.com did a nylon strength test and proved who's nylon is the strongest.RPM came out on top of course..Next to them came HPI,and then came AE and Losi,leaving Traxxas somewhere near the end...
Sure,Traxxas durability might be good enough for you,but when I make the transition from HPI to Traxxas,i'll drive it the exact same way I drove my HPI truck.Problems...?Yes.
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif]That proves nothing other than hpi was the winning bidder so they get the best review,we both know who's the best.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Doker44

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Well I own 2 HPI RS4 2's, 2 RC10GT's and a Jato 3.3. The reason why I mention this is so I don't get bashed for my support for Traxxas. I would strongly reccomend the Jato 3.3 for its diverse capabilitys. Here are my reasons why.
1) It is fast.
2) It is a great performer on road and pretty decent off road.
3) Despite of what other poeple may say the Jato can take a beating. I had my stock a arms for almost a year b4 slapping on the RPM ones. No the stock ones did not break I still have them in my tool box.
4) No crazy mods to run off road. The transition is pretty easy. For off road I use the ProLine BADLAND tires and raise the suspension. For off road I slap on the JACO foam tires and lower the suspension. That's it. Its that simple.
5) Great after market support.
6) Lastly I was able to find a very good used JATO 3.3 on Craigs List for 200.00 bucks.
Hope this helps. By the way the Rusty is also a very good truck and reliable. Good Luck.

I agree the Jato is great for all around fun!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
NitroNate

ORIGINAL: 241 racing

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif]That proves nothing other than hpi was the winning bidder so they get the best review,we both know who's the best.
With all due respect,sir.That nylon test was done by some guy's own free will...HPI had nothing to do with the testing.
As far as durability is concerned,I think we both agree who's the best...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
quietnas1

Love2FlyMN owned a Nitro 4 Tec. That is why I recomended the Jato bcuz it is a great all around performer. Now I have seen some pretty sick Rustys also. I understand about this nylon stress test but I bash my Jato pretty hard And my stock aarms held up pretty good. Hell I still have them. If Traxxas was such a bad company then why are they still in business. It just cant be all advertising bcuz that can only go so far. Traxxas is a good brand. So is HPI and Associated. I own all 3 brands with no complaints. Lets just try to give un-biased opinions. And you really cant bash on a certain brand if you have never owned or at least driven one. I have also driven my frriends Firestorm and it is a good performing truck but its not without its issues as well. All these brands have issues some time or another. Thats is why they sell replacement parts or after market parts.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
larryf333

Please post a link to the durability test. Durability isn't just about strength, it's about flex and how many times something can flex before it breaks. Did they test that, or just how strong the parts were? When the parts stop giving and flexing, then they start breaking and snapping. Just imagine if skyscrapers didn't flex and give every time the wind blows...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM
NitroNate

I'm having trouble finding it...I'll have to ask my brother where he found it(He's actualy the one who found it).
Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Love2FlyMN

Ok...lots of feedback guys.. thanks...I will have to just talk to Jerry and see what he has for sale up in his shop.. So basically it sounds like a Rustler is a good bet.. I think the Jato is getting out of my price range for what I want to spend..

Do they sell cars like airplanes where they're not "ARF" but "ARD? almost ready to drive...throw an engine and electronics in and go? or do they sell them all as kits? or is that what a kit is?

Sorry, new to cars, haha..
The reason I ask though is because I have a pistol grip with reciever and servos so I was wondering if I could just get a new engine and a car for about the same price as a RTR used.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
quietnas1

All Traxxas products come ready to run. The RC10GT2 comes RTR or the Team addition comes as kit but is more expensive. Your better off looking for a good used Rustler on Ebay or Craigs List. I scored a used Jato on Craigs List with everything including some spare parts for 200.00 bucks and it was in perfect working condition.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
nitrosport963

hey so your close to MN what track are u talking about does Jerry have one? ive been there before, never saw one. but i never really looked maybe it was hiding lol. i have a nitro sport (its very close to the rustler but with a smaller engine).
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Chris_RC

I would NOT reccomend a used car for abeginner to nitro. Used cars have alot of "surprises." Like stripped screws, cant get to parts because of the screws, bearings are bad and engine needs a pinch, etc. I only get used because I know exactly how each car is put together that i buy and I replace msot of the parts when I get it.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with Chris in his post above. DEFINATELY look for something newer if you can swing it, I got a used DuraTrax Maximum ST for my first vehicle, thought I got a deal for 50 bucks, well 300 more later and it is one of my rtop bashers, but all the same the headache to get it running was hardly worth it until I just modded the hell out of it.

you can often find great deals on ebay and craigslist if you are careful to read the descriptions thoroughly... point in case, I just found and bought a Traxxas Slayer that has been run a total of 5 times, basically just barely broken in, for 300.00 great deal.

As far as recommendations, everyone here has given you good input. Me personally, I would go with a Traxxas or Losi as they have hands down the best customer support., and can be reasonably priced with their entry level vehicles. A Traxxas would be easiest out of the box to deal with, but can get to be more complicated if you have to start replacing stuff, one of their strongest points is their lifetime engine replacement program which even covers engines purchased with used vehicles and will get you a brand new engine at half off when you send in the old one. Losi easy to run out of the box, easy to work on, lots of upgrades available, good all around vehicles. Associated Well designed and durably constructed vehicles with a ton of power, and modification ability, HPI vehicles are very good also, well made, but out of the box come with lower end parts, which makes me almost always end up hopping them up before running them, flip side is there are ALOT of HPI hop ups available that can quickly turn these vehicles into a force to be reckoned with! Then there's DuraTrax, which are good reliable little starter vehicles that can have alot done to them, but still rank lowerin the beginner class of vehicle, the upside to these is their low initial cost, and their parts are pretty inexpensive too.

hope this helps!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM
larryf333

If you are going to get a decent used vehicle, you will have to be willing to pay between 100 and 200. Craigslist is one of the best places to find them, because it's free to post and people who haven't spent a lot of time in the hobby, or just bought the vehicle on a whim, played with it for a couple days and then put it on a shelf, don't really know what the vehicles are worth. You can get some awesome deals on CL. I just missed out on a barely used E-Maxx that a lady sold for $100 [:@] Also, if you have anything just laying around you never use, doesn't matter what it is, post that you want to trade it for a RC vehicle and before long someone will come along and trade you. I just traded two well-used Mini-Ts for a brand new Traxxas Bandit and slightly used Duratrax Evader ST, both RTR, with 3 batts and a decent charger on CL. I also traded an old shed and some old fishing equipment for an almost new Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower (42" cut, 20hp! engine, auto trans, pull behind spreader and fold down tray included!). Some people don't care what the value of something they have is, they just want something else and you can almost always trade up!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Chris_RC

If Traxxas was such a bad company then why are they still in business.
On the Jato box, GOES 65+ MPH!!!!!!!!!!! On EVERY car they sell, they ALWAYS point out how fast it goes. It seems as they have lost grasp of what this hobby (offroad section) was-not doing speed run after speed run on the street, but actually taking it offroad, building a small track or even go to a track.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
larryf333

I seem to remember another company advertising that their vehicle went more than 70 miles per hour (Schumacher). If it ticks you off so bad that they put a speed on the box, then stop looking at the box. Every person that first gets into RC's wants to know the top speed of the vehicle, that's part of the initial appeal. It gets people in the hobby and will continue to get people in the hobby. I never do speed runs, but it's nice to know that my S-Maxx will go 40 mph when someone stops and asks. It gets new people interested and if they don't get enough new people interested then the hobby will die.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
larryf333

Here's another one, straight from the good folks at HPI, yes HPI.

How do you make the next generation Nitro MT 2 truck even better? Add more power, more speed, and extra durability! We added the powerful and exciting G3.0 engine which has already been setting things alight in the Firestorm 10T. The G3.0 has .18 cubic inches of displacement (versus .15 cubic inches on the T-15 engine) that helps it crank out more torque and higher top speed, propelling the Nitro MT 2 G3.0 to over 45mph! Now that's FAST!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
NitroNate

Thats why a lot of people who had a traxxas truck for their first truck,will often be their last truck from traxxas also.I was looking at the Jato for my first truck.Why?Do an RC search and I guarantee a traxxas site is going to be in there....The first thing you notice is the speed and you automaticly think,"WOW,Its no contest".Then when you get it and drive it around for a week,your not gonna be too concerned about speed anymore.And you're gonna start pushing its limits from speed runs to serious off-roading/jumping,then there is gonna be trouble...

Quote from Traxxas:"Speed is our idea of having fun..."
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
NitroNate

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Here's another one, straight from the good folks at HPI, yes HPI.

How do you make the next generation Nitro MT 2 truck even better? Add more power, more speed, and extra durability! We added the powerful and exciting G3.0 engine which has already been setting things alight in the Firestorm 10T. The G3.0 has .18 cubic inches of displacement (versus .15 cubic inches on the T-15 engine) that helps it crank out more torque and higher top speed, propelling the Nitro MT 2 G3.0 to over 45mph! Now that's FAST!
Who would wanna go 65mph off-road anyways.....
That is plenty fast for me...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.