RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   Duratrax with Torq 12 engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/11661218-duratrax-torq-12-engine.html)

jjp735i 02-25-2019 04:55 AM

Duratrax with Torq 12 engine

Hello,
I have a old Duratrax Maximum ST with Torg 12 engine that was given to me. Of course I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it, but i have cleaned it up and tore down the engine and cleaned the carb. I didn't want to play with the LSN yet before i asked. When I crank the engine I can get fuel to the carb by holding a finger over the muffler. From what I read, good sign, Right? I have the factory setting for the HSN, but nothing for the low. I think it's getting way to much fuel, it will sputter here and there like it wants to fire, but just won't kick over. I think it's getting way to much fuel, because after a several attempts the fuel starts spitting out muffler.

I've tried leaning out the HSN and still the same, fuel starts spitting out muffler.

I know a little bit about nitro engines from flying nitro Heli. It's never giving me any problems starting like this and it sits all winter.

Lastly, the glow plug and igniter is new. The engine has been sitting for 6 years. Piston and sleeve look good. Do have compression. Should I try and heat up the engine with a heat gun? I heard that helps. It is a bit cold in my basement.

Thank you, jjp

Big Alice 02-25-2019 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
manual Attachment 2263563

jjp735i 02-25-2019 08:49 AM

Thanks, but I have the manual. Does not state anything about factory LSN needle setting. Guess start one turn out and work from there.

Big Alice 02-25-2019 09:03 AM

Dug around a little bit and found this...https://www.duratrax.com/faq/faq-q460.html Might help. good luck.

jjp735i 02-27-2019 11:42 AM

Thank you again, Gong to give another short this weekend.

jjp735i 03-05-2019 04:08 AM

Just a little update. Still can't get it started. I'm thinking I have a air leak somewhere, maybe the front bearing. Going to do some testing to see if I can find it.

Big Alice 03-06-2019 09:51 AM

Have you tried using a starter box? Easier to start a stubborn motor with a box and heat gun.

jjp735i 03-06-2019 09:59 AM

I don't have a starter box. I can't even find a pull starter for it. I'm just using a socket on the one-way bearing with 18v cordless drill. I don't want to sink to much money into this. All my other trucks and buggies are electric. I did start my old nitro heli up after 14 years of sitting and it started right up. Now I'm trying to figure out how to adapt that starter to the car. It spins much faster. I did heat up the engine last time a tried. No luck. It will sputter here and there, but just wont' fire.

I just see no reason it doesn't want to fire up. Stubborn Torq 12 engine.

Thanks, jjp

Big Alice 03-09-2019 08:34 AM

What does it do if you put a few drops of fuel down the air intake and try to start it? You might still have a small castor oil lugi in the carb. That's what I'd try next, I think. Also change the fuel and air lines too if you haven't already.

jjp735i 03-14-2019 07:59 AM

It does the same thing no matter how I try and start it. Few sputters and that is it. I'm thinking it's just a trashed engine. Not worth putting any money into it.

Thanks for the help.

Big Alice 03-14-2019 02:41 PM

I wouldn't give up on it. It's probably something simple. At the very least you have a cool looking paper weight.

jjp735i 03-15-2019 03:24 AM

Thanks and knowing me, I'll never give up. Probably do some more testing this weekend.

Big Alice 03-15-2019 11:06 AM

Could be your new glow plug has been compromised by all the fuel trying to get it started. I'd go with another new plug, fresh charge on the igniter, new air and fuel lines and fresh fuel. I'm surprised no one else has jumped in to help. There's a lot of people on here way more knowledgeable about these motors than me. Come on people, help him out.

Big Alice 03-24-2019 12:44 PM

Curious if you got this motor running.

jjp735i 03-25-2019 02:55 AM

I haven't tried much lately, but last time I got nothing. Everything to start is as should be so I'm at a loss.

Thanks, jjp

cbaker65 04-27-2019 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jjp735i (Post 12512930)
I haven't tried much lately, but last time I got nothing. Everything to start is as should be so I'm at a loss.

Thanks, jjp

The engine probably was never tuned after break-in ,an the original owner gave up ,so the engine settings maybe still set at factory settings!

Try leaning both needle in some ,an make note of the turns you made on the needle settings ,a 12 size engine does not use that much fuel!

Big Alice 06-25-2019 10:04 AM

Any update on this motor?

LosiBanger 09-21-2019 07:12 PM

I used to have that vehicle. Man it was a pain.