RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/2108007-please-help.html)

t8jones 08-22-2004 05:28 PM

PLEASE HELP

Ok, I got an xtm x ceelerator as my fist rc truck. I dont know anything about cars and I think I may have done some damage to my engine while trying to break it in. I read all instructions as how to break it in but I am having some HUGE problems. First off the car was a pain in the butt to start. Once I have it started, I went to pinch the pickup line hose to cut the engine, but the stupid thing went full throttle and the wheels started turning faster and the engine started to smell like smoke. I obviuosly overheated the thing, but how do I know if I messed anything up? Can someone please help me get this thing broke in. What does it mean when I advance the throttle and the car doesnt move? Also when I pinch the fuel line, are the wheels suppose to move? And also when the car is just sitting there and I am not touching the radio, the car will start to go and gets really fast. I hope I havent screwed anything. Someone please tell me that it will still be ok. Oh yeah and when i first ran a few tanks of fuel through it, everytinme I advanced the throttle, the engine died. What is that all about?

madblunted 08-22-2004 05:31 PM

RE: PLEASE HELP

Wow sounds like some glitchy hardware.

The motor will be really sluggesh when you first start it.. It almost wont go anywhere when you throttle it. But read the instructions and do exactly as it says. I had problems breaking in my TRX 2.5 because the piston and sleeve are really right, that it caught at TDC and i had to take it apart to get it down, anyways, If you keep at it, make sure your cool your motor down between tanks you should be ok.

ICrashThings 08-22-2004 05:41 PM

yea after the first like 8 tanks the engine gets easier to start up and goes tons faster.

t8jones 08-22-2004 08:11 PM

Well I tried again and I think the pull start is bad because the pull cord doesnt work now. You can keep pulling on it and it wont turn the motor. I think I just got a faulty car.

MrSavage 08-22-2004 08:15 PM

all i can say is USER ERROR!!!!! go get some help my man.

t8jones 08-22-2004 08:22 PM

I followed the directions EXACTLY as they said. I fly planes and know plenty about engines, its just this damn pull start crap. I feel like im trying to start my weed eater. I think I just got a bad pull start or something because when I first tried starting it, the compression was so tight that I couldnt even pull the thing out. It may be user error, but I doubt it. The only other thing that I can think of is that the glow plug was bad and it wasnt getting hot enogh to begin with and me pulling it countinously didnt help matters.

skirecs 08-22-2004 10:41 PM

I have an x-c, and I love it. To start the first time, it is hard, but it is so rich it will be really sluggish, and will cut out. Use a fresh glow plug, Dont Over Prime!!! its really rich so just let fuel barely enter the carb then pull. Onces its broken it its fine. One thing you will break are fron turnbucles. Get lots of extra 77mm turnbuckes and ball cup ends. Ive got through 5 of em. Anyone knew where i can get some Titaniums ones?

WrathSkeller 08-23-2004 02:01 PM

Skirecs,
Tower hobbies has titanium turnbuckles just have to look for them. I have a x-cellerator too and it's great! I did have some trouble but only because I'm new. I just got done running three tanks through it.
t8jones,
First have a expert break -in your engine and someone who knows what he's doing. Ask him to show you. To shut off the engine don't pinch the fuel line by doing this you're starving the engine of fuel and and it will go full throttle because of it. Instead put your finger over the the stinger. When you advance the throttle that means pulling the trigger to go. If the engine cuts off when you pull the trigger then richen the high speed needle value. The wheels are suppose to move if you pinch the fuel line. The cars will go fast because you have the adjust the throttle settings on your hitec radio. Put both the steering and throttle settings in the middle. On the throttle setting if you pull down the engine will go faster because it's sucking more air in and vice versa. You're engine cuts off because, like stated before, your engine is too lean. Richen it up and make sure you see a white cloud when you accelerate. You have to stick with it and have patience, every newbie will go through problems. If you're having any big problems take it to your LHS and ask someone professional to look at it. Hope this helps.

We should get an official X-Cellerator thread.

skirecs 08-23-2004 02:06 PM

Which turnbuckles did you get?

Memopad 08-23-2004 04:02 PM

Dude when an engine is in the break-in state and you give it the gas and it dies you do NOT want to richen the high speed. If you've already got a few tanks through it then you can lean the low speed a tad and the high speed as well. This should allow you to start reving the engine a bit faster. If you richen the highspeed you'll just make it die even faster because more than likely its dying because its super rich and is flooding out.

skirecs 08-23-2004 04:37 PM

One thing, If your driving hard, at WOT a lot, the .18 guzzles fuel like i never seen before.

t8jones 08-23-2004 06:01 PM

OK, I think I found the problem. My pull start keeps pulling all the way out and it isnt catching to turn the motor over. I called XTM and the guy said taht the reason why is because I am using blue thunder fuel and it has too much oil content. I read that Blue thunder was good stuff, but what can I do to fix this problem? He said something about spraying something in the carb to reduce the oil or something to that extent. I dint quite understanmd what he was saying. Can someone fill me in.

skirecs 08-23-2004 08:23 PM

Well if it was't clear then you should have asked for clarificatino but, I use blue thunder and I have no Problems. Your not supposed to pull it all the way out. I only pull mine half at most. Short Quick tugs, not pulls. Try that.

t8jones 08-23-2004 08:30 PM

I am going to call back tommorrow for clarification, but I was at work and in a hurry.

WrathSkeller 08-23-2004 10:43 PM

Memopad,
That's my fault. I misread the manual. It's just that when my engine didn't transition I richen it and it worked fine.[&:] Just make sure you don't lean it out too much.
t8jones,
Try using 20% trinity monster fuel. I use it and the guys at my LHS say that it is highly recommended for any nitro vehicle. I don't think it will help much but you can try it. Try looking at the trouble-shooting part of the manual it might help a little.
skirecs,
I didn't buy them but I did some research and found out that they might fit. FRONT = Lunsford racing turnbuckles 2 - 3/4" (2) You will need two packs for the front. REAR = Lunsford Racing Steering Turnbuckle XX4 You will need two packs for the rear.
Don't take my word for it though, I haven't bought them. Ask around or go to your LHS. I think they will fit but I'm not sure.

skirecs 08-23-2004 11:42 PM

Thanks Ill do some measurments and look them up.

Wow, towerhobbies has a good selection of lunsford.

skirecs 08-23-2004 11:51 PM

nah just measured, i need just about 3' and the largest they carry is 2.75. Ill keep looking though.

Edit
I suppose i could get by with an eigth of each side. No dia measurments though.

Funflyaddict 08-24-2004 02:23 AM

ORIGINAL: skirecs

One thing, If your driving hard, at WOT a lot, the .18 guzzles fuel like i never seen before.

Is the Xcellerator bad for fuel economy??.
I am about to purchase one and i will be driving alot, like 4 litres a weekend and probably 1 litre per weekday,

how long do you get from one tank of fuel,just bashing around jumping and stuff??. Can you upgrade the tank to a bigger one??

is it good for jumping around till the end of the year when I move to a place with dad and we will be building a track for us to race.

Will i have to change anything to race it?

sorry about all the questions

cheers Owen

skirecs 08-24-2004 11:18 AM

Its fine for jumping pretty stable in the air. It only guzzles at full throttle, and normal bashing driving oround the yard, you only need about half to two thrids of the power, and you could probably get close to 15 mins. It has a really steep power band though. 4 litres a weekends is plenty, lots of driving out of that. Its quite powerful. How does the rustler 2.5 do on gas? Must be horrible. To race competitly you must have a .12 or .15 engine, unless there is a .18 class. Othre thatn that, look for some titanium turnbuckles, those are the only thing ive broken. When you break it, replace it with alum.

skirecs 08-24-2004 11:50 AM

I got 14 minutes just now, so with math, thats about 200 minutes a litre. 800 minutes is a lot in a weekend, since there are only 2800 in a weekend, that like a quater of it.

WrathSkeller 08-24-2004 12:04 PM

skirecs,
I'll be looking around too but if you do find ones that will fit please notify me. Thanks.
Psychotic lego man,
Like what skirecs said, if you drive around at half or two-thirds of the power you should get about 15 minutes of run time. I ran three tanks yesterday and it lasted me an hour. You will need a .12 or .15 engine to legally race or if your track has one you could just race in the outlaw class. I know putting aluminum on is good because it's strong but if you were racing wouldn't you want to put something lighter?

ICrashThings 08-24-2004 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: skirecs

I got 14 minutes just now, so with math, thats about 200 minutes a litre. 800 minutes is a lot in a weekend, since there are only 2800 in a weekend, that like a quater of it.
ahhhh math!!!! no i dont start school until next week!!! :D;)

WrathSkeller 08-24-2004 12:12 PM

LOL

Funflyaddict 08-25-2004 04:50 AM

yeah i have no probelm with time to drive, i used to use 4 litres per weekend regularly with my old truck that had a .15, we bought 200litres of fuel at the time. I drove all saturday and half of sunday, it was GREAT fun. I never got bored with it because we had a HUGE block of land to drive on. Im not sure weather there is a proper racing track where im moving as its out in the middle of nowhere but dad and i will make one for fun. all i want to learn to do is learn to do huge jumps like i saw on the Threesisters videos, they are awsome. im going to try bigger maybe oneday

cheers Owen

sorry for the mistakes ive probaly made im in a real hurry to get to school

Jonnyd 08-25-2004 08:10 AM

dude your one way bearing in the pullstart is slipping. (If you can pull the pull start and it feel realy smooth its slipping). I heard you take it out and degrease it or wipe the oil off the shaft and the bearing. Make sure you dont loose the spring out of the pull start thingy. Its a pain in the arse winding it up and putting it back in. If i was you i would buy a starter box so you wont have to bother about pullstarts and there springs and slipping one way bearings(and you dont get a sore arm). Search them on the net.

Yeah dont pinch the fuel line car it just revs it up a bit and starvs the engine