RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   I want a good expert nitro stadium truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/2737594-i-want-good-expert-nitro-stadium-truck.html)

djray77 03-07-2005 03:28 PM

I want a good expert nitro stadium truck

I am looking into getting a stadium truck, The choices are:
Losi XXX-NT Adam drake 2
Mugen MST-1
They both look like good trucks to me, but as I dont know much about 1/10 stadium trucks I would ask you guys.
Thanks,

P.S. Whats a good high end enigne for these trucks..

tmaxxkillers-25 03-07-2005 04:09 PM

RE: I want a good expert nitro stadium truck

there good trucks for racing but not the best for bashing so i would get the o.s .12.

Jammin_Lee 03-07-2005 04:15 PM

the drake because its way easier to get parts for . theres more hopups for them. and well its strong to bash with also .

yznaction 03-07-2005 04:18 PM

a good truck for bashing is a traxxas nitro rustler with an os .18, and a bunch of RPM parts, its a sick truck with these mods.

ncgrunt 03-07-2005 04:35 PM

Given those two options I'm guessing you want to race. Personally, I'd go for the AD2.

be4life182 03-07-2005 04:39 PM

Id go for teh mugen mst-1. Mugen stuff isnt all that common, but its really great stuff. plus, tehre engines are extremely fast. the .12 has like 1.5 hp at 41,000 rpms. They also have aftermarket stuff, and it comes with some aluminum parts. One main reason i would get it is for its uniqueness. Not too common at the track.

ICrashThings 03-07-2005 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: be4life182

Id go for teh mugen mst-1. Mugen stuff isnt all that common, but its really great stuff. plus, tehre engines are extremely fast. the .12 has like 1.5 hp at 41,000 rpms. They also have aftermarket stuff, and it comes with some aluminum parts. One main reason i would get it is for its uniqueness. Not too common at the track.
^

djray77 03-07-2005 04:45 PM

Yes I do plan on racing AD2 has some really nice feature thats for sure but like you said b34life182 the Mugen are not that common and if there anything like the MBX5 I know it will be a well built and performing truck.. This is tough to decide :(

djray77 03-07-2005 05:06 PM

Should I wait for the Jato to come out in april??

Lantern 03-07-2005 05:56 PM

If the races you are thinking of getting into don't have an engine rule then the Jato sure sounds sweet. But, since you were already talking about putting another engine in the other trucks then I guess its not a problem for you.

I say, save up and get two out of the three.......hehe[8D] Its the only way I've been able to make purchases lately.....

Memopad 03-07-2005 06:30 PM

Hey Ray, i think the AD2 will suit you just fine ;)

As for engines, as always it really depends on your track. The 2wd stadium trucks are a totally different beast than the 1/8th buggies, i race both myself. In the buggies, i'm a huge fan of high-power engines, but in the stadium trucks, it really doesn't matter quite as much. You could get an expensive high-end .12 engine that has gobs of hp, but you won't find it quite as usefull on a light 2wd chassis. Personally i'd go with an os .12 cv-r or their .12 TR series if you want the turbo head and a bit more oomph. I think you'll find even the modest power of the CV-R to be enough to keep you in a lead spot contention in most tracks.

djray77 03-07-2005 06:34 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I think I'm going for the AD2. Now what kind of motor should I put in it?
Novarossi,RB,sirio are the brands I want to pick from but not sure on a model??

Memopad 03-07-2005 06:38 PM

SOrry, i edited my post while you made yours :) Read above on the OS motors, save some bucks. The reason being is that there is only so much power you can get to the wheels before they start spinning, and in 2wd trucks more often than not a guy with slightly less power will run faster lap times if he is holding a line better than the guy fishtailing all the time. I can vouch for longevity on the little os's, i ran a .12cv in my rc10gt for just about 7 years, well over 10 gallons on the thing. Never rebuilt it or had any problems with tuning or starting. It was my first nitro engine so it suffered through my nOOb break-in and also several winter's of cold weather running. I retired it this fall as it finally had zero compression, you could flick it by hand and it would turn over twice :)

djray77 03-07-2005 07:02 PM

is there a RB or novarossi you would recommend?

ThunderbirdJunkie 03-07-2005 11:09 PM

No.
seriously, if you've never driven an ST on a racetrack before, get ready to be surprised at how much you can do with not a whole lotta motor.
remember, 2wd and a heavy rearward weight bias. if your truck doesn't hook, you'll be getting wheelspin, if not, you'll be standing it up on the battery box.
my .12 CV-R is PLENTY fast enough at the track. only time I wish it had more power is when I'm just playing around in the yard. the only reason pros use highend small blocks in ST's is because they CAN. when you get to the point where you have Losi or Mugen or Kyosho sponsoring you and you get free Novarossies and such, then go ahead and run a high end RACE engine.
give the guys at Fantom a call if you don't want an OS.

nbcaznmaster 03-08-2005 06:33 AM

if i were u and u want a good expert car, i would wait for th JATO!!!! that thing will be the REVO of STs. So far wut i heard is that its got good handling and is faster then the rc10gt. I would honestly wait.

djray77 03-08-2005 07:16 AM

couple things with the jato im not to sure about is the 2 speed and it looks very heavy?
Take into account I drive on a small/medium track ( mostly) and I'm not sure how that 2 speed will work is it going to be changing gears all the time? it looks more like a backyard basher then I real race ST IMO..

Memopad 03-08-2005 11:07 AM

The Jato isn't a racer. You can't race seriously with a .15 engine and deffinatly not a 2 speed. Should make an awesome basher though.

Ray i don't really have much experience with motors other than those from OS. Fantom makes some decent motors, but i'd probably skip over them. I've seen a couple picco .12's run and they really do scream. I watched someone break in a .12 RB (i think) in their xxx-nt. I believe it was actually an onroad motor, but it was insanely fast, and they ended up switching to a fantom motor before race season because the truck was next to impossible to drive on the track.

djray77 03-08-2005 11:28 AM

The LHS has a deal going on with a MST-1 with motor I think a MT12 for 365 that seems like a sweet deal to me.

GT-Power 03-08-2005 02:30 PM

nbc-

You really dont understand stadium trucks!!! Any truck can be faster than another with higher gearing and a higher pwoer mill! Heck I could make a Kyosho Ultima outrun a fully decked Jato. Even without being released i know i could. Its a simple matter of math. More horsepower+higher RPM+higher gear ratio+larger tires= higher top speed.

The Jato in stock trim is far off from being a ROAR or any legalized race truck. First off you need to have a 3 port .12 engine to be legal in 1/10 Stdaium truck last time i read the rules. Also two speed trannies arent allowed. These two thing have you off the track.

Also by looking at the steering geometry the traxxas will handle close t oa RC10gt but not out handle it. Also on a race track it doesnt matter about speed and handling especially if you are a novice. My first year of racing I went out and bought the best mill I could find.- a RB Concept .12. I sold it,why? It just has so much power my turnbuckles were laying on the track more than being on the truck. Every turn the turn marshal's got to turn my truck around. So i went O.S. and my lap times were cut almost in half! Why? I could actually drive the truck. Adam Drake could own you with a ST 15 even if you were driving his AD2 with a high power mill of your choice cause he knows how to drive.

What my point of this post is that for your first year or two of racing (unless your a racing prodigy) you will be all over the track. Any motor will basically too much for you launching you off of jumps and landing you on your lid. Learn to master your truck and get the tuning of the chassis down then maybe step up it up a notch. Believe it or not some of the fastest guys around here run the cheapest engines. On most tracks you will keep up just fine cause .12's dont make great bottom end. The extra power those expensive mills are only in the top-end.Think about how many times you will be driving full throttle on a track. I maybe get to 8/10 max throttle on most tracks straightaways and thats if im just focusing on driving, not racing against someone!!

JUST LEARN YOUR TRUCK AND THEN TALK ABOUT POWER![:-]

djray77 03-08-2005 02:55 PM

GT Well said and makes perfect sense to me thanks.
I know the same applies to 1/8 buggies.

NItRO D 03-08-2005 05:19 PM

Id go with the mugen, because my brother has the MBX-5 mugen buggy i swear that thing is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo FAST, and never brakes. THe only part that broke was the screw or spur gear. SO the truck should be the same way.Also the stadium truck has an carbon fiber chassis.

be4life182 03-08-2005 06:06 PM

Go Mugen, you will regret it in the long run if you dont. its race ready, and the engin is top class. its super fast. mugen is racing stuff. The AD2 is a great truck that i would kill for, bt i relaly dont see any other option. if you do get the AD2, at least get the mugen motor.

ThunderbirdJunkie 03-08-2005 09:15 PM

the Mugen is race-ready?? and what's the Drake 2? Hamburger Helper without the Hamburger?

Baroncowboy 03-08-2005 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"XXX-NT Drake"Want an Expert Stadium Truck,with all the bells and whistles?...Well look no further....
Im willing to say you wont find a better deal anytime soon..... And the plus to this set-up is it literaly comes with just about all or any of the up-grades that any serious racer could possible want...
It also has a high performance competition engine that has only had just three tanks run through it very slowly for break in...It hasnt even been tuned lean yet,meaning its practicly bran new...
As for a radio and servos,you'll have to supply your own,as you would for any high performance race kit.... This set up will save you alot of time and money,running back and forth from the hobbie shop and such... If you must have the Adam drake two set up,then spend only a small amount and add the updated A-arms/hubs/spindles,and there you have it!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=81920
^
Go Here to see what I have to offer,and decide for your self...