RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

nitro-rob 03-29-2009 09:30 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Do you mean ball ends on the steering servo? Do you mean the mechanism that connects between the servo output and bellcrank? There isn't a lot of stuff available or the storm yet, I havn't seen any aftermarket steering parts. I broke my truck a lot at first because I was driving on the street and hitting curbs and every time I hit one something broke, which was once per ride (which ended the ride..), but soon after I got the hang of it and went to the baseball diamond I quit breaking parts - and havn't had a break since the truck was six weeks old.

I figured out the problem with my tuning - it is just cool, about 15 degrees celsius lower than I am used to and I had to put the carb in a whole new level of rich I didn't expect to keep it running. I got in about two hours of driving this weekend but not on the MT2 - next ride is on the storm.
I did seal the carb with a bit of vaseline that may make it a bit better seal.

JCMINIS 03-29-2009 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Do you mean ball ends on the steering servo? Do you mean the mechanism that connects between the servo output and bellcrank? There isn't a lot of stuff available or the storm yet, I havn't seen any aftermarket steering parts. I broke my truck a lot at first because I was driving on the street and hitting curbs and every time I hit one something broke, which was once per ride (which ended the ride..), but soon after I got the hang of it and went to the baseball diamond I quit breaking parts - and havn't had a break since the truck was six weeks old.

Not quite sure of my terminology yet.The parts i break are connected to the servo output I think it would be called,,they are 2 of the ball ends with a small threaded rod between them,you can see them move from the top side of the chassis.Believe I need to study up on my parts terminology,lol.

I figured there wanst anything available but stock replacement parts,just checkin.I am getting good at swappin those things.Thanks for the help.

JC

ro.sniper 03-30-2009 09:43 PM

This sounds like a good plan, I can't wait to go on the track for the first time! On another note I found out the hard way that water+servo don't mix at all. Long story short... went through a puddle and all of a suden I lost throttle control, the firestorm went WOT into a curb, flipped 2 metres or so in the air and the only thing that I broke was my front hinge pin, and my servo which is obviously bad now... I guess its time for the titaium hinge pins and a hitec servo.

p1ngputts 04-01-2009 03:46 PM

So I sold my firestorm on ebay and the guy writes me back saying there is "no brake friction disc- it's completely gone." I literally used this RC one time for about 10 mins. I just need the cash. I bought the rc january 22 and sold it march 23. Any help on what I could say to him? Greatly appreciated.

nitro-rob 04-01-2009 07:21 PM

You hear once in a while of people losing the friction disk. Its not uncommon. You sold it as is, there isn't much else to say. It isn't an expensive part to replace.

Kodiac400 04-01-2009 08:34 PM

Hello all. Just picked up my first HPI product (Firestorm) and just wondering whether or not this truck wheel pull wheelies in its stock form.

Later.

NitroNate 04-02-2009 09:22 AM

If you break the engine in properly,you should be pulling wheelies all day long!:DSeems a lot of people underestimate this thing because of the price.If you'd know HPI,you'd also know that low prices is one of their finest strengths in this hobby.
And just because we say its a good truck for a beginner doesn't mean it's slow and the easiest thing to drive.The main reason its great for a begginer is because of it's durability and reliability....

firestorm2009 04-03-2009 11:31 PM

Anyone applied any upgrades that they love.

I have put proline tires black dish wheels. new shocks. front and rear. carbon top chasis, aluminum c hubs and aluminum a arm mounts. i love the truck its amazing.

I am have issues with the tuning thou.

Anyone help me out.

thanks
Firestorm2009.

bushhiker 04-04-2009 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: firestorm2009

Anyone applied any upgrades that they love.

I have put proline tires black dish wheels. new shocks. front and rear. carbon top chasis, aluminum c hubs and aluminum a arm mounts. i love the truck its amazing.

I am have issues with the tuning thou.

Anyone help me out.

thanks
Firestorm2009.
First and foremost warm up the truck by doing some medium speed passes (only tune when engine is hot)

If you invest in a Inferred temperature gun (about $20 on www.towerhobbies.com) your engine should be around 220-250. if it is too hot richen it by just a small amount and run the truck for a minute or so and check again if it is too cold lean it by just small amount. Also consult the Firestorm Manuel http://www.hpiracing.com/manuals/pdf/10510.pdf

link to temp gun http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMG5&P=7

superb3rra 04-04-2009 10:17 AM

Hi.
I've thinked. My Firestorm has some starting issues. The pressure in the tank doesn't build up. The engine have problems to start and it seems to run out of fuel when it drives. Sometimes when i drive it stops an i can't accelerate because it only stands there and struggles. My dad checked it out and he thought it might be to rich or to lean. I have leaned it and richend it several times and it doesn't seem to help. Is the gasket to the muffler gone or something else?

firestorm2009 04-04-2009 01:33 PM

Okay thank you.

So it should be running around 225 for good performance without damaging the motor?

JUBE 04-04-2009 06:40 PM

Which aluminium shokcs recommend me???. Someone knows where I can obtain the front maces of aluminium since always I buy in liquidrc but now it is not in stock. Thank you very much

JUBE 04-04-2009 06:56 PM

They can send me links wherefrom to obtain them this way me one is mas easily since I am of Argentine. Thanks

nitro-rob 04-04-2009 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: superb3rra

Hi.
I've thinked. My Firestorm has some starting issues. The pressure in the tank doesn't build up. The engine have problems to start and it seems to run out of fuel when it drives. Sometimes when i drive it stops an i can't accelerate because it only stands there and struggles. My dad checked it out and he thought it might be to rich or to lean. I have leaned it and richend it several times and it doesn't seem to help. Is the gasket to the muffler gone or something else?
Start tuning with the needles at the factory settings - flush and go from there if you are lost with tuning. You should be able to see a leak on the exhaust side of the car because there would be a lot of oil seepage and mess there. My guess is its just jetting.

bushhiker 04-04-2009 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: firestorm2009

Okay thank you.

So it should be running around 225 for good performance without damaging the motor?

That's perfect but a litter hotter is also fine but don't go above 250

BlindObject 04-06-2009 09:32 PM

Seems like a lot of people have trouble with tuning....

NitroNate 04-07-2009 08:28 AM

...Tuning IS the hardest thing to learn about a Nitro.

superb3rra 04-07-2009 12:02 PM

Superb- there are no gaskets between the button and cooling head (see p. 28 in the manual) and only below the botton and block. Is is leaking below the button or on top through the glow plug? It isn't clear to me how it was described.
I am surprised how dirty it is. How many gallons have you run so far? If buildup is making it leak, soaking in brake cleaner overnight will clean it.
this is from an earlier page. It's not leaking from the glowplug. It's leaking from underneth the "ring" that the glowplug sits in.

If buildup is making it leak, soaking in brake cleaner overnight will clean it. What should i soak in brake cleaner?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/IMG_0064.jpg

It leaks from this piece that the glowplug sits in. The piece that is kinda lying on the block.

nitro-rob 04-07-2009 12:38 PM

I would soak the button, the piece in the photo in brake cleaner as well as take alcohol and clean where it sits on the head as well. If the leak is from there its because of a lack of seal from debris or because it is warped.

superb3rra 04-07-2009 12:42 PM

I would soak the button, the piece in the photo in brake cleaner as well as take alcohol and clean where it sits on the head as well. If the leak is from there its because of a lack of seal from debris or because it is warped.
I don't think it's warped. But i'll check that. Any advice how i could check that in the best and accurate way?

nitro-rob 04-07-2009 12:47 PM

I don't know how to check for warping other than by assembling it clean and doing a leak test.

superb3rra 04-07-2009 12:56 PM

And a leak test is?
Dropping in a bath full och water and soap and turn the engine?

nitro-rob 04-07-2009 01:01 PM

Or just put a little soapy water over the area of interest and pull the starter coil a few times.

superb3rra 04-07-2009 01:03 PM

Okay.
Thanks Rob!

tylerqew 04-07-2009 01:52 PM

How should I go about getting my truck to do wheelies? I got 'er on eBay for $150 and I got it and tuned it some, had one of my dad's friends to play with it some and the starter rope broke. I fixed it and tuned some more, and I can't get it to do wheelies. Should it do them stock, or is there any upgrades I should buy? I don't know how to word what I'm asking really.. Basically, what should I have to do in order for some sweet wheelies? Everything is stock except for an RB Muffler that I got with some junk I bought from my neighbor, and I'm porting the header today. I have the slipper clutch all the way in, should I back it out some? I have never really had it tuned right, but starting it is good news for me.. I thought the motor was shot until dad's friend got it running. I don't know if I should write down how I have the needles set now, and go back to factory, or just leave it and go from there..