RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 12:59 AM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Geolanders or gladiators are what I would recommend.

JUBE 03-18-2010 01:04 AM

what do you think of these??? http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=52135 sorryyyyyyyyyy rob

JUBE 03-18-2010 01:05 AM

i don now if that tire enter in the original wheels of the firesotmr

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 01:11 AM

The tire in that link won't fit but there is a close version for the 2.2 inch rims of the firestorm.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDU11&P=ML

JUBE 03-18-2010 01:18 AM

i cant decide of one tire [>:] i think i going to put the geolander :eek:

JUBE 03-18-2010 01:20 AM

the pro line are very expensive

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 01:31 AM

They make good tires, though. I am certain you get what you pay for with cheaper tires.

JUBE 03-18-2010 01:34 AM

The gladiators do not become exhausted very rapidly in street?

Road Warrior 03-18-2010 03:19 AM

How's it going nitro heads. Had the storm out a lot the past couple of days enjoying the nice weather. She is running top notch if I do say so. Still on the first glow plug for the season and have already been through half a gallon. Although yesterday wasn't a good day for it. I had a bunch of the neighbor kids come out and see what was going on and to tell me they have like 10 of them and they raced a real car and won. After this one kid came out and told me his brothers was faster that he got from f'n toys'r'us I had to show them. New 30shore foams so it hooks real nice and just got the tune the day before. I was running a 16 tooth clutch bell and a 20 tooth spur the same gearing that got me into the mid 70's last year. Only the car was about a pound lighter. I made a couple of low speed runs up and down warming it up and working the trigger a little more each time to get a feel for how much I could give it without a spin out or a wheelie. Thought I had it down and stopped at the line I have painted across the street for the 132' and gave it hell after about 60mph I pulled it back all the way thinking it was safe. NOPE spun out and hit a straight up and down curb backwards. Talk about feeling like a douche. All of the kids were like that was cool as parts are flying in the air and rolling down the street. Everything on the car that was plastic broke and I mean everything. both front steering arms, servo mounts, fuel tank, throttle servo, shock towers, everything. Even folded the chassis like a banana a broke the aluminum rear control arm in half and thats even with sheering off all of the screw heads that hold on the rear control arms. It was a sight to see. It is put back together now except for the rear arms that should be in the mail tomorrow, but the only pics that I have are on the phone because I was so mad just ripped it apart and put it back together. I suppose the moral of todays lesson for me is don't show off and take it easy or you will end up looking like a huge weiner.

lalth1 03-18-2010 06:55 AM

Hey guys just wanting to know waht parts are required to upgrade to the savage clutch and what other mods do you recommend for this truck. Thanks

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 07:26 AM

The gladiators wear pretty well. There are not many tires that wear well on asphalt that are 2.2 inch that are not made for the street. I think the Geolanders are your best bet.

Road Warrior - That is a funny and sad story, I am glad you are almost running again. The best part is that it was done to get bragging rights over a kid bragging about an obviously inferior toy grade RC.....at least make it to win an argument over a hobby grade machine! By the way, I have been very busy and just briefly looked at the new firestorm and am happy with it.

fastandloud 03-18-2010 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: lalth1

Hey guys just wanting to know waht parts are required to upgrade to the savage clutch and what other mods do you recommend for this truck. Thanks
Savage clutch pops right on. I recommend the AE T4 bumper from RPM. Just installed it and definately feel it saved me yesterday when i tagged a rock with the front end and she just cartwheeled back on to her tires for more!!

Roadwarior: Atleast ur an animal and have that thing ready for more, without crying for two weeks about what a douche you were or how f****d up ur truck is. Heres to a summer of HOTTT Firestormshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

I got a chance to go bash with the firestorm yesterday. Couldnt get my new Dirthawgs on yet as im waitng for rims so i threw on my crawler tires and raged it. Mud+Snow= Dirty truck to cleanhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif, High mark on the snowbank!!, And a spectacular finish into a mud puddle with the storm flingn water as i ran to rescue her!<br type="_moz" />

Road Warrior 03-18-2010 08:27 PM

Rob I'm glad you are happy with it. If you didn't figure it out the pieces that were on the front body posts are the adapters that I rigged for the back tires. And you can see that I wasn't blowing smoke up your butt about the compression on the 3.0. It would have been a nice motor if the previous owner didn't chew up the lsn and strip out the one screw on the back plate. Did u pull the sleeve out and take a look and if so what do you think about my motor work. The crank isn't anything special I didn't spend a lot of time on it just mainly did it where the fuel goes in under the carb. With a good tune it is a beast for a 3 port .18.
After all is said and done my stunt cost about 100 in parts. I get a good laugh about it now. If it was 1 foot more to the left it would have slid nicely into the grass maybe a little tumble into a parked car or something instead of a dead stop where the curb went into a parking lot. It is put back together but not the lightweight design. I will take the loss of top speed to have a gain in traction.
Lalth be brave and join the big block group. Thats is the one thing that a bunch of us have done and I don't think anybody regrets it.

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 08:39 PM

Weird, I was just writing you an email when your forum post came in. I might as well write it in here. The backplate repair was easy. I cleaned it out with engine cleaner and it was the right size for a 3mm tap. I just ran the tap into it and found a bolt with the proper sized head on it and that was that. It holds strongly. The alternative was to JB Weld and tap. I am not opening up the back for now, if its sealed an holding I will go with it for now. A buddy of mine wants it! I hope to have the bulk of the preparation done soon and drive it on the weekend if the weather is good.

Blueroost40 03-18-2010 09:11 PM

Just read Fastandlouds post about the AE T4 bumper after runnnig my storm into a curb today. Shattered the front arm brace and some suspension components along with putting a bit of a bend in the upper deck. Nothing that wont take a little elbow grease since its almsot back to being able to run again. Just wondering if i could get a part # or link to a bumper that fits on the storm please and thanks.

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 09:18 PM

All you need to ask for at the local shop or look for on ebay are an RPM t4 or b4 bumper.

JUBE 03-18-2010 09:46 PM

the RPM t4 or b4 bumper go directly from the storm or i have to change something??

nitro-rob 03-18-2010 10:51 PM

Its a direct bolt on, a perfect fit.

fastandloud 03-19-2010 11:37 AM

Such a perfect fit, I was amazed! Ill post pics here in a bit

fastandloud 03-19-2010 04:40 PM

<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666"><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666">[http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/IMG_0021.jpg</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666">http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/IMG_0022.jpg</p></p>

Blueroost40 03-19-2010 04:49 PM

Ill be sure to get order one along with the savage clutch setup im getting(didnt think the stock clutch setup was that bad until the spring snapped on me today). 3 shoe is gonna be sick. Cant wait.

nitro-rob 03-19-2010 04:57 PM

Its almost suspicious how well it fits....how many different manufacturers of RC vehicles are there really?

JUBE 03-19-2010 04:57 PM

nice, i do it a stanlees steel bumper but i dont finish is cooming soon jeje.

controlliner 03-20-2010 08:57 PM

Me being strictly a basher, What would be the advantage of increasing the toe angle of the rear wheels on my Storm from stock?

fastandloud 03-21-2010 10:25 AM

So heres an update...The young man that came in and bought a firestorm from me with daddys store credit card... brought the storm back and we ended up giving his dad most of his money back. He no longer seems to be working at the shop and i have a broken in and tuned firestorm for sale. "I send him here to work not to play" LOL

Ive been raging my rc18 at the local skatepark lately and yesterday a friend i sold a storm to broke out the nitro!!! OMG The storm was launching everything in sight and boosting the trannys of the bowl!! I thought for sure Id be fixing it this week but the only thing he did was loose the header bolts (i told him to use locktite)http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/rolleyes.gifJust really impressed me how tough this truck is.

Video coming soon!

Firestorm FTMFW
<br type="_moz" />