RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   only runs with glow igniter on? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/9162966-only-runs-glow-igniter.html)

debay 10-10-2009 11:33 PM

only runs with glow igniter on?

i recenlty lost a piston rod due to product failure and had to tear down my motor. Igot the new piece, cleaned everything real good and got it all back together. It runs, but only if the glow plug igniter is on the engine. any hints as to why an engine would run like this.

Tower Nitro ST-15....Iknow................
.15 Tower ABC engine

BATES1114 10-11-2009 01:58 AM

RE: only runs with glow igniter on?

a nitro engine is basically i two stroke diesel engine. It sounds like you do not have enough compression to detnate the fuel. the engine has to rely in the glow plug to ignite it instead. also there is a posabillity you could be getting way to much fuel and not enough air

thef@st1 10-11-2009 02:09 AM

most likely its a bad glow plug. take it out and look at the coil. put the igniter on it and see if it glows bright. if not prob the glow plug. could also be the igniter is not charged all the way to. good luck

debay 10-11-2009 08:32 AM

two brand new plugs and the igniter was perfectly charged. If the igniter was dead, it wouldnt start would it? How do Isee if I have good compression? Ijust reassembled the engine. Imade sure everything was tight. Idont know what more I caould do. Iset the needles to stock. I even started with the low speed at just one turn. It wont even run at stock settings. Ihave to run it rich to get it to even turn over.

Montana Mike 10-11-2009 09:25 AM

if you turn the engine over by hand there should be a heafty snap or pop as it passes TDC. If it has no pop you have no compression. Do you have all the necessary seals for the engine installed? Possible there is an air leak of some sort?

debay 10-11-2009 09:27 AM

to my knowlege i put it all back. I guess Ill check that later and then tear it back down if Ihave to

Montana Mike 10-11-2009 09:36 AM

How old is the engine? Was there any fragments in the block when you pulled it apart? How did the piston and sleeve look?

debay 10-11-2009 09:39 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9141128

Chris_RC 10-11-2009 09:44 AM

I have had this problem before. Start it up and start running it around with the igniter go. Take a WOT pass, then quickly come back in and keep the RPM's up without the clutch engaging and you should be able to take the igniter off. Youu might also want to lean the LSN 1/8 of a turn.

MCSRacing 10-11-2009 10:02 AM

most likely is the glow plug is weak ... the way to check it is to take it out of the motor and clip it in the glow igniter and then as it glows blow on it, it should stay nice and bright. if you can blow it out, the motor will too on the compression stroke!

theRCreverend 10-12-2009 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: debay

two brand new plugs and the igniter was perfectly charged. If the igniter was dead, it wouldnt start would it? How do Isee if I have good compression? Ijust reassembled the engine. Imade sure everything was tight. Idont know what more I caould do. Iset the needles to stock. I even started with the low speed at just one turn. It wont even run at stock settings. Ihave to run it rich to get it to even turn over.

Test the compression.Rotate the engine by hand and there should be some resistance as the piston reaches the top of the sleeve. Make sure all the gaskets are seated properly too.

steffan1979 04-08-2012 07:00 PM

hello you helped me so much with what you said i am new to your group i couldent get my xtm x celerator to stay running with out the glow plug ignitor on it i changed the glow plug as you suggested it worked you are awsome thank you i was ready to light that thing on fire and now that i took it apart and cleaned the block fulkly it runs better than ever forever thankful