RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   How to make my rustler faster then jato? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/9280052-how-make-my-rustler-faster-then-jato.html)

getamped0809 11-25-2009 01:03 PM

How to make my rustler faster then jato?

I own a traxxas rustler, and I want to be able to keep up with a jato or go faster then a jato. We drag race our nitro cars/trucks every weekend and most of the guys that are out at the races run jato's. We have 2 drag strips setup, one is 175 ft, and the other is 340 ft. If I race a jato at either distance, I lose by a few rc car lengths. I have already upgraded my rustler to a trx 3.3 and that helped a little, but not enough. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris_RC 11-25-2009 04:44 PM

RE: How to make my rustler faster then jato?

Hard to get going at 350 feet. Even 700 feet isn't enough to do speed runs.

If you are dead set on the Rustler, get a OS .18 TZ engine and get a starter box to remove weight. Gear higher and that should get you close, might want to install a 2 speed tans.

Or if you want something different, the Speed-NT is good. It clocks at about 63+mph which is the same as a Jato, but it is always nice to have something different.

1320Fastback 11-25-2009 07:16 PM

Get the electric VXL and a 3S :D

usa98030 11-25-2009 09:18 PM

Youre not going to ever get as fast as the jato unless you install a 2 speed. I would just go brushless and you can smoke that *******!;)

quietnas1 11-25-2009 09:51 PM

Got to agree with the OS .18TZ. Also I have to agree with the 2 speed tranny. There is someone on here that put the Jato 2 speed in his Rustler and I believe he has pics also. Just do a search.

quietnas1 11-25-2009 10:00 PM

Here it is I found the link to the 2 speed Rustler for you. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8487204/tm.htm

getamped0809 11-25-2009 11:28 PM

So a os 18tz is a faster motor then a trx 3.3?

quietnas1 11-26-2009 01:16 AM

Yes sir it is. One hell of a little screamer.

yakfish 11-26-2009 10:07 AM

drop in a big block and gear it as high as you can. even a cheap big block will be more than it can handle. and yes it can be done!![sm=punching.gif]

SyCo_VeNoM 11-26-2009 10:18 AM

I was gonna suggest the same thing. I know MT2's with big blocks usually don't even get to half throttle without taking off and flying in the air :D

BTW if you go big block route add a spoiler to the front to help push the front down so it doesn't decide to try and badly imitate a RC plane :D

kihei11 11-26-2009 07:01 PM

pico .26 red dot and gear it right. or new truck!!!

kihei11 11-26-2009 07:34 PM

you could try running 30% nitro too.

Road Warrior 11-27-2009 03:20 PM

All i can say big block, pipe, aero dynamics, gearing , and the right tires will make you as fast if not faster than a jato. Keep it low and sleek. Dont go with electric my 7 year old can charge a battery and just plug it in.

jude26 11-27-2009 11:05 PM

Is the OS18 CV-R a faster motor then the TRX3.3?

quietnas1 11-28-2009 01:10 AM

Well since we are talking larger motors. The OS .21TM is one bad @!$ motor. Its what I have in my Jato and I absolutely love it.

yakfish 11-28-2009 10:05 AM

I may be all wet but I seem to remember hearing the OS 18TZ is actually a stronger motor than the OS 21TM. I believe it was my LHS that told me that. OS claims identical specs for both motors (not that it means much) and the 21TM is $120 more than the 18TZ.

And yes the OS 18CVR is stronger then the TRX 3.3. But just switching to the CVR won't make your rustler quicker than a Jato. The Jato has the 2 speed which is why it is so quick.

I put an OS18TZ in a rustler over the summer and geared it pretty high (I don't remeber exactly) and I clocked it at 53MPH which still isn't as fast as a Jato 3.3. Thats the difference between single and two speed.

quietnas1 11-28-2009 11:18 AM

The .18TZ is cheaper but it is a top end engine. The .21TM has a bit more bottem end grunt and still screams on the top. For me personally it was well worth the extra cash.

yakfish 11-28-2009 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

The .18TZ is cheaper but it is a top end engine. The .21TM has a bit more bottem end grunt and still screams on the top. For me personally it was well worth the extra cash.
That would make sense. how does it do as far as fuel comsumption? I know most .21 engine are known to sip fuel but that is compareed to other big blocks. how is it compared to the 18TZ? Nothing against the .21TM I have always wanted to try one.

I am getting a Jammin CRT X1 in the mail next week that will have a OS .21 Vspec I am excited to see how it does on fuel!

rufus2000 11-30-2009 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: getamped0809

I own a traxxas rustler, and I want to be able to keep up with a jato or go faster then a jato. We drag race our nitro cars/trucks every weekend and most of the guys that are out at the races run jato's. We have 2 drag strips setup, one is 175 ft, and the other is 340 ft. If I race a jato at either distance, I lose by a few rc car lengths. I have already upgraded my rustler to a trx 3.3 and that helped a little, but not enough. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
well if you want to upgrade your nitro rustler then the O.S. 18 like mentioned here would be a great choice, it does produce about the same power as a big block, just lighter less weight (that will help you in acceleration.)
But if you really want to make sure, get an electric brushless stadium truck and put a 4S lipo in it, a 3S lipo is just as fast as the jato so a 4S is guaranteed to kill it... if you want to get insane get one of the new mamba max pro's motor systems (those will let you run higher voltage lipos, up to 6S) ask in the electric forums if you'd like to go this way. These ain't little timmy's electric toys. The amount of power you get with these systems nowadays is mind blowing.

quietnas1 11-30-2009 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

That would make sense. how does it do as far as fuel comsumption? I know most .21 engine are known to sip fuel but that is compareed to other big blocks. how is it compared to the 18TZ? Nothing against the .21TM I have always wanted to try one.

I am getting a Jammin CRT X1 in the mail next week that will have a OS .21 Vspec I am excited to see how it does on fuel!
The .21TM is actually decent. I get about the same run time as the 3.3 about 15 to 20mins depending on how hard I drive it. And that is with the MotorSaver air filter and my Buku pipe. Can't really compare it to the .18TZ cuz I have never run one personally..

Chris_RC 11-30-2009 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

v-spec's do very good on fuel, it is a great engine for truggy. I would use a 9mm restrictor, and go down to 8 if you want bette fuel compunsion. On my 8T I have a 7.5mm restrictor and on my 8B I have a 5.5, trying to get to that infamous 12 minute mark on fuel.

usa98030 12-05-2009 10:51 PM

Road warrior don't ever say that electric is for little kids! I BET YOU URE CAR THAT I CAN SMOKE YOUR CAR ANY DAY, ANYTIME! Electric is the way to go if you want insane speed. On my e-revo i crank 3.4 horses instantly with 4s and a nitro engine cranks 2 horses at certain revs which is probably half to the wheels. If i go 6s i crank 5 horsepower.

Road Warrior 12-06-2009 01:50 PM

USA I never said that electric isnt faster than nitro. I know that u can keep on installing more cells. Where is the realism in it though. This guy wanted to know how to make his rustler faster than a jato. NOT how to make his vibrator last longer. He doesnt travel that route. I am only on here answering his question because I have a truck that will beat jato's and it isnt electric or have a 2 speed. In 175 it clocked in at 72 mph against my brothers jato that hit 64 topped out. Say what u want but i have done what he is asking.

Mspeed 12-06-2009 02:02 PM

Anyone tried losi's new 3.4 small block out yet and compared it to the 3.3 traxxas makes?

Road Warrior 12-07-2009 04:50 AM

USA have u ever even raced a jato? I wish u were in driving distance so i could take u up on that bet. I seen that E Revo's can put up a high speed which was to be expected but there wasn't a single video on u tube that put up a speed higher than what i have without spending your rent money on it. Oh yeah my motor cost me $135 brand new. How much is in your motor, speed control, and lipo?