RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   new to nitro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/9289794-new-nitro.html)

katzuki98 11-29-2009 04:18 PM

new to nitro

Hello all, I am new to nitro trucks so sorry if this get annoying. I just got a rustler 2.5 on trade for a ps2. Anyways it was in pretty rough shape but ran so Icleaned it up and was ready to enjoy it. Here is my problem, when I first start it it is fine but after a couple of min of running if I happen to stop and it is just idleing it will stall and is near impossible to restart. I have the top end tuned I think pretty well as it has a small amount of smoke when wound out. Is it to rich on bottom end or am I loseing compression as it gets hot? Ihave tried to tune the low end and thought it was fixed as it ran great with real good response but then it stalled and would nt start. Thanks for any advice

yakfish 11-29-2009 05:35 PM

RE: new to nitro

ORIGINAL: katzuki98

Hello all, I am new to nitro trucks so sorry if this get annoying. I just got a rustler 2.5 on trade for a ps2. Anyways it was in pretty rough shape but ran so I cleaned it up and was ready to enjoy it. Here is my problem, when I first start it it is fine but after a couple of min of running if I happen to stop and it is just idleing it will stall and is near impossible to restart. I have the top end tuned I think pretty well as it has a small amount of smoke when wound out. Is it to rich on bottom end or am I loseing compression as it gets hot? I have tried to tune the low end and thought it was fixed as it ran great with real good response but then it stalled and would nt start. Thanks for any advice

Open up the idle a little bit

cummins driver 11-29-2009 06:38 PM

Are you repriming the engine after it gets hot and dies(sometimes it helps)? You could be too rich or too lean on the bottom, or the idle could need raising. It could be an idle mixture problem, but it could also be as you say. The piston and sleeve may be worn and losing compression when the engine gets hot.

Eric

katzuki98 11-29-2009 07:50 PM

I have tried reprimeing it and it still wont start. Sometimes it fires right up but most it wont. I am going to try uping the idle and mess more with the tuning. Thanks for the responses.

SyCo_VeNoM 11-29-2009 07:52 PM

sounds like the pinch is shot. Happened to me on my 1st nitro (got it used also). Ran perfectly find for 5 minutes but once it warmed up the parts expand and it loses compression.
there is 2 ways to check it, and how bad it is that I know of.
One take out the glow plug and rotate the flywheel. If it has no resistance at all when the piston is at the top of the stroke good chance its the pinch. Other way is to dismantle the motor itself and see if the piston can be pushed out of the top of the sleeve.

there are generally 3 remedies I would price em all out
Take the motor apart and check if the piston and sleeve are in good shape (no scoring the piston head isn't black etc...)
If the piston head and sleeve are in great shape one option is to send the piston and sleeve to RayA at http://www.rayaracing.com/ he charges a small fee but it generally is cheaper than a new piston sleeve combo (I've read alot of good stuff about his work, never tried him personally)
Other is replace the piston and sleeve with a new set.

3rd option is to just buy a new nitro engine.

In my case on my 1st nitro it was the to replacing the engine cheaper option seeing the engine I had was discontinued and parts cost more than a new, better rated, more modern engine.

For future reference if you ever get a used vehicle again. When paying for it (or trading) think of the engine as if previous owner had no idea what he was doing, think of it as shot, and figure in the price of a new engine in your trade. Every engine I've got so far in a used nitro was totaled and makes very nice paperweights.

Just hope you didn't get as big of a lemon as I did on my 1st nitro I had to replace over 90% of the parts (spur gear, diffs, chassis, and dogbones all that are left from the day I got it) in under 4 months of owning it due to parts being brittle and cracking.

Ohh yea welcome to the hobby :D

Forgot to add Your gonna learn ALOT more about nitro (and the trucks design in general) seeing you got a used vehicle than if you bought a brand new one if you stick with it :D

katzuki98 11-29-2009 07:59 PM

Thanks SYCO I will try those out because I am thinking of replacing the piston and sleeve because the guy I got it from treated it like a  red headed step child. Thanks </p>

katzuki98 11-29-2009 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

sounds like the pinch is shot. Happened to me on my 1st nitro (got it used also). Ran perfectly find for 5 minutes but once it warmed up the parts expand and it loses compression.
there is 2 ways to check it, and how bad it is that I know of.
One take out the glow plug and rotate the flywheel. If it has no resistance at all when the piston is at the top of the stroke good chance its the pinch. Other way is to dismantle the motor itself and see if the piston can be pushed out of the top of the sleeve.

there are generally 3 remedies I would price em all out
Take the motor apart and check if the piston and sleeve are in good shape (no scoring the piston head isn't black etc...)
If the piston head and sleeve are in great shape one option is to send the piston and sleeve to RayA at http://www.rayaracing.com/ he charges a small fee but it generally is cheaper than a new piston sleeve combo (I've read alot of good stuff about his work, never tried him personally)
Other is replace the piston and sleeve with a new set.

3rd option is to just buy a new nitro engine.

In my case on my 1st nitro it was the to replacing the engine cheaper option seeing the engine I had was discontinued and parts cost more than a new, better rated, more modern engine.

For future reference if you ever get a used vehicle again. When paying for it (or trading) think of the engine as if previous owner had no idea what he was doing, think of it as shot, and figure in the price of a new engine in your trade. Every engine I've got so far in a used nitro was totaled and makes very nice paperweights.

Just hope you didn't get as big of a lemon as I did on my 1st nitro I had to replace over 90% of the parts (spur gear, diffs, chassis, and dogbones all that are left from the day I got it) in under 4 months of owning it due to parts being brittle and cracking.

Ohh yea welcome to the hobby :D

Forgot to add Your gonna learn ALOT more about nitro (and the trucks design in general) seeing you got a used vehicle than if you bought a brand new one if you stick with it :D
Well I took out the glow plug and turned it over and there was no resistance when the piston came to the top of the stroke:( the only time there was some was when the piston was all the way down. I am not sure what the pinchis but I think your right and it is time for a rebuild. Thanks for the info

hyper701 11-30-2009 03:01 AM

hi welcome to the hobby ;) if the pinch is shot and you are thinking of re-building it, it might pay to have a look on ebay, there are some well priced brand new engines on there (in some cases it can costs less to buy a new engine rather than re-build). just be carefull what you buy caus there is also alot of junk on there. try and get hold of an os engine, or even a traxxas 3.3 would be good. good luck let us know how you go.

katzuki98 11-30-2009 06:45 AM

Thanks for the advise. I have been browseing on ebay and found some good deal and I also have the paperwork from traxxas where they offer an engine replacement for $105 where you send them your old long block and they send a brand new one. I would like the 3.3 but I wonder if it will just drop in? Thanks again and will keep you guys updated.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

hyper701 11-30-2009 03:39 PM

im prity shure the 3.3 will just drop in. check this out, its the offical nitro rustler thread, all the info you will ever need http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14..._1/key_/tm.htm