Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

UNDO a paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
shanechevelle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNDO a paint job

Iam wondering if theres a way to UNDOall the painting and decals...

Ihave quite a few bodies that Iwant to take back to their original bare original form and start over...

Iam thinking paint thinner will ruin the body?

Thanks for the help !
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
ampresearch143

Default RE: UNDO a paint job

if your used lexan paint its never going to be back the way it was because the paint etches itself into the lexan. you can remove the color but it wont be back to original to say the least.

here is an example for you. this body was fully painted and then i spilled thinner inside. of course all the paint started to run and runied it. i said screw it and removed all the paint with thinner. as expected it turned the body foggy but after repainting it it still is very usable, just not perfect. if you look in the windows you can see what i mean about the haze. in person you can see that on the rest of the body but its not as noticable with the color.

You can also use brake fluid dot 3 or 4. it will soften the paint enouhg to remove and not cause as much hazing.

If your lookg to make a show body you need to go by a new one. if your looking to revive one from the dead just to be better then it is now the options above will work just fine.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
shanechevelle

Yeh Ifigured that...

One of my hobby's is restoring cars so Ikind of figured that would be the outcome as Ihave run into it before...

As long as the body doesnt get eaten Icould deal with the fade...

The fade is from the chemical partially damaging the lexan...

Have you tried using headlight restore found at a local parts outlet? Or rubbing the lexan with plasti x?

Iwould think these processes mighteliminate some of the haze/fade...

Ihave a few bodies such as (2)Lunchbox that Iwould like to start over with and make them what Iwant them to be. All clear pieces/areas would be masked off or removed...

THANKS!

NICEPICSTOO!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I've found E-Z Off oven cleaner works well for removing paint too. Definitely need to use it outside or in a well ventilated area, though.