Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Quick simple question - can I back ice silver with white?

Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Quick simple question - can I back ice silver with white?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick simple question - can I back ice silver with white?

Sorry to make a thread for this, but there's no general questions thread or whatever. Anyway, I am painting a body, going for a clean simple Silver-Arrow kind of look, and am using ice silver. I need to back it, but am wary of using white because I don't want it to look too milky.. The thing is though, I only have white left and won't be able to buy anything til after X-mas - and would prefer to avoid buying anything else anyway.. Thanks..

ps Also, how could I put black trim around the windows? That's also an issue as I can't back the silver with black... (I have black though..)
Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Quick simple question - can I back ice silver with white?

White is normally a good backing for silver, just make sure the silver is nice and even or you may end up with milky patches. Many people use thin black tape for the windows (usually on the inside but also on the outside), but if you wanted to make thin masks, you could mask the windows, window edges, paint the silver, paint the whilte, remove the window edges and paint black. Remove window masks, done.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, ran into town and got some silver, and just sprayed it down.. Looks a bit too dark.. Hope it doesn't end up too grey.. [] We'll see.. Shoulda' just done white.. Holding it up against the light though I saw see-through patches, and IDK, I always like to have everything completely painted with no see-through..

Dunno about the windows.. Kind of scared to back silver with black.. Will probably just play it safe and leave it, and if I feel I really need to have the black outline, I'll figure out some sticker solution..
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 AM
icedude1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steady hand, permanent marker... go around the lines of the windows on the outside of the body after ur finished.