Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

normal spray-paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
liam1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal spray-paint?

hi guys.
Was wanting to paint my body shell. i dont have any lexan paint. can i use just normal spray-paint?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: normal spray-paint?

ORIGINAL: liam1997

hi guys.
Was wanting to paint my body shell. i dont have any lexan paint. can i use just normal spray-paint?
You can if you want a body that has paint that is cracking, chipping and flaking off after several bad accidents.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Lars from Norway

Don't destroy your body with normal paint, get some proper paint made for polycarbonate/lexan. The only way it will look good with normal spray paint is if the body is sitting on the shelf where nothing can hurt it.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most paints on Lexan will seperate after a few impacts. You'll be able to see starbursts of seperation from the outside, presuming you painted a clear Lexan shell from the inside. And from that point on it'll chip and crack.

That said, Vinyl & Fabric coating paints are great on Lexan. In my experience, these work even better than some colors of paints specifically formulated for Lexan or polycarbonate shells. The downside to them is that the colors are limited. Duplicolor make vinyl paints as does Rustoleum.

For the record, for whatever reason some paints work OK on Lexan that shouldn't. Certain colors of automotive paint don't chip, crack or seperate. It's got a lot to do with how they spray on. I have white gloss Acrylic lacquer paint that holds up great on Lexan. It shouldn't, but it does. I also have a Rustoleum Metallic Gold paint that holds up great on Lexan.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

Most paints on Lexan will seperate after a few impacts. You'll be able to see starbursts of seperation from the outside, presuming you painted a clear Lexan shell from the inside. And from that point on it'll chip and crack.

That said, Vinyl & Fabric coating paints are great on Lexan. In my experience, these work even better than some colors of paints specifically formulated for Lexan or polycarbonate shells. The downside to them is that the colors are limited. Duplicolor make vinyl paints as does Rustoleum.

For the record, for whatever reason some paints work OK on Lexan that shouldn't. Certain colors of automotive paint don't chip, crack or seperate. It's got a lot to do with how they spray on. I have white gloss Acrylic lacquer paint that holds up great on Lexan. It shouldn't, but it does. I also have a Rustoleum Metallic Gold paint that holds up great on Lexan.
Just curioue how many RC bodies you have painted?