Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

New body, any ideas?

Old 09-11-2003, 04:03 AM
daniel_2003_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New body, any ideas?

hey, i just bought a new HPI Lotus Elise body and i dont no what colour/s and design to do it! anyone got any ideas or photos of your own custom ones so i can get an idea? thanx, dan
Old 03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Nitropwr

Default RE: New body, any ideas?

i'm in the middle of painting one my self, and i'm going the traditional route with mine. I have seen one that has racing stripes, and thats more the way I'm doing mine but here is a good look at some of the factory colors and styles. The good thing is, if you want to make it Flourescent, it wouldnt be going against the real thing, since Lotus actually sells the lotus in Flourescent colors... :-)

http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery...=507&password=

Hope it helps you, it sure did help me!

Good Luck, dont forget to post your results... there arent many Lotus paint jobs on this site..
Old 03-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Dare82
My Feedback: (2)

Hm...Lotus Elise ey? Try a really customized one by painting it fluorescent with a lotus flower on the bonnet.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
thumpin347
My Feedback: (1)

heres a few pics of one i did. its a custom blend airbrushed. its a color shifting type blend. it goes blue, purple, green, red, gold, gray, black...depending on the light. it resembles the mystic cobras. havent had a chance to take outdoor pics because the car its supposed to go on isnt finished yet. i wouldnt go crazy with graphics on this type of body...a simple 1 color will look alot better...but then again, i like my street bodies to look like real cars, and let my race bodies be as crazy as i can come up with

Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Hezrou

Nice job on that shell thumpin. What make of paint u use?

Daniel i would suggest SpazStix anodised paint effect(since thumpin has done the flip). I'm kind of experimenting with the paints at the moment and am welll impressed with them.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Dare82

Nice! That Elise looks really good!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:01 AM
thumpin347

thanks guys...i just used a blend of faskolor paints. SpazStix would be interesting to see on that body...something bright and flashy would be sweet
Old 03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Nitropwr

Nice job on the lotus... Just finished one myself, will post pic's tonight. Can really see the finish on the wing, is that a "flat" black? I want that look for my Lotus, and wondering how I would acheive it...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:44 PM
thumpin347

ORIGINAL: Nitropwr

Nice job on the lotus... Just finished one myself, will post pic's tonight. Can really see the finish on the wing, is that a "flat" black? I want that look for my Lotus, and wondering how I would acheive it...
yeah, the wing is flat black. my pops owns a custom body shop, and i help him out being one of his main spray guys that does the spraying, pinstriping and graphics masking, that works after hours to get cars out of the shop, while finishing up college during the day...we stock all sorts of paint from PPG, DuPont, House of Kolors, etc, so i took a PPG Black primer and loaded up my spray gun, roughed up the wing with 800 grit paper, followed by 1200 grit because i wasnt too sure how automotive paint would adhere to the lexan.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Nitropwr

nice... think i'll just do mine with the faskolor... see how it turns out.

Here is the Lotus that I did, Its obviously not finished but i'm impressed with it. It's my first airbrush attempt, nothing fancy, but I learned alot!...

Here it is, no decals yet, I didnt put a few on, but not done yet. What you see is all painted.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76347.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	248119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63196.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	248120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60613.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	248121  
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Dare82

Looks nice! But you could work a little better on your masking...I see some crooked lines.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Nitropwr

yeah... think it went on a little to thin, also my exacto slipped a little... thats my thrasher body anyway. I have a few more that i'll do over the next few weeks... I'll use either more mask, and or a better hand on the exacto.

but thanks.