Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Opinions on aerosol polycarbonate paint

Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on aerosol polycarbonate paint

I recently went with Duratrax paint and greatly regret everything about it. Pactra used to be my go-to paint. With Pactra gone, Duratrax had a color that was appealing to me at the time. I bought a red and white (white for the backing). The paint literally came out erratically and in blotches. Regardless of how well the cans were shaken, regardless how well the body was prepped, it was a less than desirable experience with the end product. If you know who makes Duratrax paint, please inform me. I want to avoid making the same mistake at all costs. I made attempts to contact Duratrax, no response has been given as of this time. So with that being said, I'm looking for opinions as far as finding a quality paint for r/c car bodies.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Taimya paints and they worked well. Could have been a bad can of paint you had? For the most part I find the use of an airbrush cheaper then a couple rattle cans. You can get a budget priced airbrush set from Harbor freight and a cheap compressor.

Sorry, no idea who makes the paint. Might call Tower and see if they know?

Buzz.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Kemo

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
I have used Taimya paints and they worked well. Could have been a bad can of paint you had? For the most part I find the use of an airbrush cheaper then a couple rattle cans. You can get a budget priced airbrush set from Harbor freight and a cheap compressor.

Sorry, no idea who makes the paint. Might call Tower and see if they know?

Buzz.

definitely wasn't just one can of paint. My red paint can spattered out, as well as my white backing paint. The other guy I painted with had the same issues with his cans (he didn't seem to notice, but I did). Tower doesn't seem to have the info, and Duratrax has yet to respond to my email. I usually avoid their product due to bad experiences in the past, but I thought I'd give it another go. Not too thrilled.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 PM
bill_delong

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I was fortunate to get enough advance notice when Pactra was discontinued so I hoarded a full case of my racing color "Fiery Orange" and should be good for a couple more race seasons.

I too found great disappointment in many other brands of paint... in particular Tamiya was too thin for me wasting too much time applying far too many coats of paint to avoid the dreaded runs that Tamiya is so well known to have problems with.

I've since found a happy medium with Spazstix paint which can usually cover in about 2 coats where Pactra was 1 coat and done... and Tamiya is something like 4 coats.

What I like most about Spazstix is their "chrome" paint is the best I've seen... I now have mirror like chrome bumpers and window edges on all my cars now, thanks Spazstix!
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/spaz-stix-ultimate-mirror-chrome-clear-coat-spray-paint-3.5oz-szx10909/p152040

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19589643194_770f1088b2_z.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	2116856  

Last edited by bill_delong; 08-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Kemo

Here was my interaction with Duratrax... it took a month for them to contact me. I get a response saying that they've used hundreds of cans and have never experienced what I described (taking the position that the quality of the product can't have the possibility of being questionable). I don't get what it is with Hobbico support, it has been less than desirable for me. I also once asked them for the current carrying specification on their star plugs (since it is the most important specification that should be advertised). They never got back to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.png
Views:	58
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2117965  

Last edited by Kemo; 09-03-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Well I've been contemplating for years about getting an airbrush. Looks like I'm gonna need one now. Always used pactra myself.

Did you try soaking it in hot water (out of the tap, not boiling) for 10-15 min before use. Has always helped me get the most out of the can.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Kemo

No, I did not soak it.

Hobbico/Duratrax could have made an attempt to reach out and make right out of a wrong. Instead, a representative took the defensive side and lost a customer in the process.

Anyone else have recommendations for aerosol paints? I have no intentions on further supporting Duratrax when they have that so called "customer service".