Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Questions about Testors water slide decals.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Questions about Testors water slide decals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 PM
davenport_95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Testors water slide decals.

I bought Testors PC-printable decal sheets and Testors decal bonder spray in a can.

The instructions say to use a thin even coat for the decal bonder to seal the ink over the printed decal sheet but not to use too much.

I followed the directions but the ink still started to bleed out when the decals were wet with water and applied 24 hours after applying the bonder.

Could I apply a second coat of Testors decal bonder (a product like a clearcoat paint, or varnish) to better seal the ink
a day later if ink-bleeding troubles should occur?

Last edited by davenport_95; 05-15-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:07 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Did you use the right ink, if that is a factor? For example, they do make ink for printing on glossy surfaces and ink for printing on standard paper.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 AM
davenport_95

I don't know. It is just the standard ink used in HP Officejet printers. I went to Testors web site and emailed them with questions a week ago. They haven't responded. I emailed them again yesterday....tick tock tick tock.....

I suspect there is not a heavy enough protective coat (bonder, varnish, etc.) over the ink to make it totally waterproof so the ink bleeds out of the decal leaving a black silhouette of a dog figure full of white polka dots all over.

I don't believe it is the ink. The ink printed on the decal has to be sealed in tight before the decal is wet and applied.
Think of the water slide decals in you typical Revell or Monogram plastic kits. How often do the colors bleed out of those?
Those expensive Harley-Davidson motorcycles use water slide decals on the tanks before they are sealed over with clear finish.
Some factory automobiles, like my 1988 Firebird, used stick-on vinyl decals that weren't sealed under clear paint.

Right now, I am trying the decals out on my cheap toy RC car to spruce it up and practice my decal skills. I was planning to use this Testors home-printer decal system on my expensive hobby grade boat if these should prove to work out. My boat will need a hull name with an anchor graphic and registration numbers.

Last edited by davenport_95; 05-16-2016 at 07:55 AM.