Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Cutting liquid mask

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM
jstjoehere

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting liquid mask

New to rc painting and was wondering about cutting liquid mask with a ceramic hobby knife blade. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Will the ceramic blade score the lexan?
im currently using a steel blade but i either score the lexan slightly or i dont get through the liquid mask.

Im using a #11 blade and spazstix liquid mask.

I just dont want a lot of cut lines showing.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:46 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I will never use liquid mask again for the very reason you brought up... it's extremely difficult to score the mask without scoring the lexan and I shredded a body on the very first race day where it cracked everywhere I scored the paint lines of the liquid mask, doh!

I tried it again on the next body being extra careful not to go too deep into the lexan, and this time I reinforced the paint with shoe goo and drywall tape to no avail, the body cracked along the scored paint lines although it did last a handful of race days before it started cracking.

I'm amazed that liquid mask is still being sold and would love to hear if someone has come up with a proper method of scoring without damaging the lexan!
The following users liked this post:
jstjoehere (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 11:50 AM
jstjoehere

Ive ordered ceramic blades i will let you know the results.
bill_delong (11-26-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 12:43 PM
jstjoehere

Originally Posted by jstjoehere
Ive ordered ceramic blades i will let you know the results.
tried ceramic blades today. They cut well and do score then lexan about the same maybe just a little less. I have been practicing and basically the lines I'm leaving now can barely be felt with a fingernail.

My method I've come to feel comfortable with is brushing on 4 coats with a foam brush. each coat I dob the mask til the area is covered then brush it all one way til it's even. I put 4 coats on letting each one dry about an hour. Let it set over night and trim it the next day when I'm ready to paint.

I don't claim this to be the right way or the best way, it's what is working for me. I haven't tried and actual body yet only a practice body that's supposed to be the same.
I think this is something that you have to get a feel for and with practice your skills will improve.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:23 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Try some of those plastic razor blades that are often used in scrapers. They look exactly like a single edge razor blade, except they are made from a hard plastic (often green in color). I use them all the time to scrape things like decals off of surfaces without scratching the paint or aluminum beneath the decal. They are not hard enough go cut you (unless you jab a corner into yourself or saw back & forth on your skin while pressing hard). They will not score the Lexan, and they just might be hard enough to cut the liquid mask cleanly. I just tested one on clear canopy plastic and it did not even scratch it. But I don't have any Liquid Mask to try cutting.

If that doesn't work, then try to find some thin and rigid plastic sheet material that is harder and more brittle than the plastic razor blade, and put a sharp edge on it with a file.
jstjoehere (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 01:00 AM
jstjoehere

Plastic blades might be worth a try. I think im gonna go ahead and use ceramic blades on this body. Im putting a proline hotrod body on my t-maxx 3.3. It was an easy fit i just had to make a new front bumper and longer mounts. Shortened the mody mount posts and used magnetic mounts to extend out to good places on the body and will use gorilla double stick tape to secure them. I swapped out the magnets with stronger earth magnets. Each mount haa a little over 8 pounds of holding pressure. Surely thats secure enough lol.