Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Painting White Rims Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Kailolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting White Rims Chrome?

My local hobby store has white but not chrome rims (wheels) of the model I'm interested in. Can I paint the wite rims with chrome spray paint?

An advantage to spraying my own is that when (not IF) the chrome is scratched or scraped, I have the exact matching paint for restoration.

Will the standard lexan body paints work, or perhaps the new FUSION paint (if it comes in chrome at the hardware store)?

Thanks

Kailolo
Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Default RE: Painting White Rims Chrome?

Yes you can but I would recommend using an automotive paint. Check out Dupli-Color Acrylic paints. They have it in chrome colours too like chrome blue. I think you should only use acrylic paints for your rims. Good luck
Old 01-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Kailolo

Thanks.

Followed up on your lead. Looks like a plastic primer coat is recommended:

DUPLI-COLOR plastic primer: a bonding agent for the final varnishing of car plastic parts like outdoor mirror housings, spoilers, bumpers, body plastic parts. Also suitable for furniture made of hard plastics. Applicable for following hard plastics: polyurethane (PUR), polystyrene (PS), polyamide (PA), polypropylene rubber, modified (EPDM), acrylic butadiene styrene plastics (ABS), glass-fibre reinforced plastics (GfK), hard polyvinyl chloride (Hart-PVC). Painting: Having treated hard plastic parts with DUPLI-COLOR plastic primer, coat them with DUPLI-COLOR plastic spray paint or DUPLI-COLOR acrylic paint in original car shades.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
evader-x

Default RE: RE: Painting White Rims Chrome?

there are some white rims that don't need to be painted, they can be dyed.
All u need to do is buy some fabric dye and put enough in a small cup so it will cover the wheels, then just simply place the wheels in it and they will become that color.
Unfortionally they do not have chrome fabrid dye, the closest you can get is a grey
And if some of ur chrome wheels is flaking off chrome paint, just place it in a cup of nail polish remover, that will take the chrome right off.
Hope This Helps.
Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
IhrtTamiya

you can use regular spray paint. seen it done in person and did just fine.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:05 PM
zsportmaxx

I used Testors Spray paint
Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM
struve43
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone painted there air filter elbow a different color? It's rubber but i was wondering if anyone has done it. Please reply. Or send me an email.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 AM
TikiKustoms

you "could" paint it... but it would flake off as soon as it flexed a little. then you risk getting that paint in your carb. on the other hand you could probably dye the rubber elbow which wouldnt flake and would be permanent. thats what i would recommend. good luck.
drew
Old 06-19-2005, 12:21 PM
TC3 Dude

I painted a set of rims before, but its really annoying because the moment you touch a rock or scratch something like half the paint comes off. then you have to paint it again. Its a lot better if you buy them in the colour you want (in this case chrome, if they have it) because the paint doesnt come off as easily.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:48 PM
WhoMe

If you do paint your wheels chrome, be sure to keep it off the bead yull use to clue the tires..else the tire will not adhere very well to the wheel. Regluing sucks.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
TC3 Dude

Lol, especially when you are goin full speed with your car and the tire rips off, and then you still have the glue holding the tire in its shape... impossible to put back