Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Neons

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
HPIchuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neons

How would i go about wiring neons onto my car? Would I have to get seperate batteries to wire them into. where can i buy neons for that small? Are they safe for my driving car?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:10 AM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Neons

depends.. there are RC neons, and there are other neons you can get, my way of doing it is a bit different from everyone else.. I use car EL wire neons.

Here is a couple pictures for you...

If you drove with them it would scrap and strip I think on a touring car
Old 01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
HPIchuk

no offense but did you screw up the mounting? is there any way to make them look better? where did you get the EL lights?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
raceme

you can get some wire neons from target. thats where i got mines. i got the longest one they had(two versions short n small) but it was too long so get the small one.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
drink man

target they have neons for rc cars
Old 01-29-2004, 06:55 PM
otterball21

No, they aren't even mounted. That wire is WAY too long, it's like 15 feet long, I bought way too long stuff.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:32 PM
raceme

yea they have neons at target but not really for rc. there for detailing your 1/1 interior but yea they have 9ft. lenth and thats good enough or if too long you could always cut it.(tired this yesturday and it worked.) but you gotta find a way to hook up the battery. any 9v battery is good the square kind.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 AM
otterball21

just a Tip... the more volts you run to it.. the more brighter it is. But the batteries would be damaged. But it works. I ran 18 volts through mine. two 9 volts. What you see right now is 13 volts , cause I have a transformer for a 13 volt charger.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:27 PM
HPIchuk

alright...just got my new car in today that may be one of my mod projects for it (the car is a dash, supposed to be non-upgradable but im out to prove them wrong)
Old 01-30-2004, 08:42 PM
raceme

yea all you do is gut out all the electronics change the motor but im not sure on how you would change gearing and of course you could up grade shocks and tires.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:22 PM
HPIchuk

from what ive heard(might get into it tonight) there are many gears on the dash, maybe just eliminating a non crucial one could up the speed of the car or taking out four small ones and replacing them with two larger ones or woud it be eight smaller? but anyway there is like a gear box that has the pinion gear that leads to another gear and then another one, then it goes to the drive gear(thats what i got from sumthin i read) i have a radio shack truck that was fast in its prime but not fast anymore, i disabled the front drive and pretty much gutted the thing except for working components it went faster. and i already have a new, faster motor to install
Old 02-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Da R/Cer

Default RE:NEONS

Me and my friends like using glow sticks that we get at our local party shop. they work wonders
there great and really good for night rides.

some are preservable
Old 02-03-2004, 03:46 PM
HPIchuk

im on the search for glow sticks. havent been to target yet though. me and my friend modded up some lights of our own on a project truck(cheap car like a tycco) it was nice and bright with only the power of 9v im prolly gonna do front lights and neons with (3)9volt batteries
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
raceme

glow sticks. mayn that stuff runs for only 8+ no more than 12 hours of light. lol yea its good for night racings but only" that" night then you gotta buy some more. not like they worth a night.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
HPIchuk

i didnt mean to say glow sticks. not interested in glow sticks because they are one time use. if i do get neons then it is to use at night so i can see my car and if you do them right they look cool.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:19 PM
viperspeed333

Has anyone tried out the undercar lighting kit from http://www.rcneon.com ? They look good and promising, but I'm not sure if they are worth the $$. Has anyone tried them out?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:41 PM
HPIchuk

dude have you not read one post on this thing? go to target and get the cheaper ones that you can fab up yourself.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:53 PM
homaygfresh2000

i made underbodies using 3mm led lights and clear shrink tubing. wire a couple leds in parallel, wrap with the shirnk tube, do the other sides, then wire all sides in series. i used 2 9v batteries and it was super bright, so i just use 1 now. i wish i had some pictures. since i had it all laying around, it cost nothing, but i'm sure it would be less than $10 and it's a lot brighter than the neon stuff from target.