Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Painting flames?

Old 02-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Bush Wacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting flames?

How can I paint flames like this on my truck with out having to spending alot of money to do it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60090.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	96731  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:23 PM
HPIchuk

Default RE: Painting flames?

you either make a mask out of paper and/or painters tape or liquid mask and spray paint/airbrush the design on. simple as pie and you might want to practice drawing flames a little more.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Thunder Tiger EB4

well, Lemme try to explain this as simple as i can .. Because i just did it to a body for someone I know, how ever I don't have photos of it .. but .. I will to a demonstration on paper for you ..

Mind you .. this only costed me the price of tape, paint, and a bit of patients.

Supplies needed:

1) What ever color paint you would like to use and, *maybe clear coat if you want to protect your entire paint job*
2) Either 3M Fine line tape 1/16 size *Green tends to be more flexible then the blue* or just buy a roll of thin *any color* car "pin-striping" from any automotive shop like pep boys, strauss, or car parts/ advance auto. masking tape as well for filling in the blank areas, youll see just what i mean ... omn the photos
3.) Cotton gloves so you dont put greasy fingerprints all over your paintable area, and Make sure you wash the car before you do this .. so theres no grease or oils or dirt on it.

now.. heres the pretty simple process my friend .. I just went and did this on the back of a my art book, to show you how easy it is .. thuis took me 2 mins, but take ur time .. ive been reading how to do this for a while, and i worked in a paint shop doing flames, so make a design you like and work with it .. its simple

step 1 ... gather your goods.

Step two .. make your design

Step three: mask the out side of the design with some sort of tape and or paper to fill it all in .... dont miss any spots or you will have a mess to fix!!!!

step 4 ... paint your piece!

step 5 .. Remove your mask that you made

Step 5 and 1/2 finish by removing your fine line tape:

then ... there you have your pimped out flame job ..

BUT if you wanted to clear coat it .. simple clear the entire car.. degrease and de-oil it .. and hit it with some clear coat for a brilliant shine shown here:

Note to people doing my easy steps: Do NOT forget to completely cover the entire body of the car, other then the flames.. because as you see.. on my quicke flame job here, the over spray cgot all over the note book, where it should not be .. but to me thats ok, you will want to mask off the entire car, except for the flame area ... remmeber that !!!!! over spray is your enemy! ok. I hope that about covers it .. thanks for looking. ~ Brett R, NJ.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Bush Wacker

and you might want to practice drawing flames a little more.
Yeah I know. LOL
Old 02-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Bush Wacker

Brett,
Thanks for the help and the pictures.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Thunder Tiger EB4

no problem my friend, I hope it helps !!! oh .. and if you decide to go through with it .. here first read this web site on flames and see the pics.. youll grasp the idea even better as i did .. ill show you how i learned !!

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/PaintFlames01.html

thats where i learned form, thats usefull for any kind of flames.. youll be a pro in no time! show us your finished pics if you go through with it!! thanks ~ Brett
Old 02-02-2004, 08:35 PM
jrtoons

The only problem is that with the lexan bodies you do just the opposite of what you do on a regular car.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Thunder Tiger EB4

.. do explain? because I've never dont any paint job any other way,and ive painted many many many flames on many things buildings, cars, my bed room walls, a boat .. and r/c cars and ive done it this way every time .. so what does oppisite mean? paint the car the color of the flames, then stick vinyl flames to it, and paint the rest ? sure.. thats fine for one color flames, but multi colored flames you'll never be able to do that method.. so please explain what you mean by oppisite.. because i just did that to an R/c car and its perfect .. hell ill go do it to mine and show pics of it
Old 02-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Chrisblkz

well I mask off the flames first and then paint the body. I remove the flame decal and start to paint. I use red orange and yellow rattle cans. I just paint the tips of the flames orange and give it a little over spray then the orange the same way. With the overspray you will get the colors blended. I then use the red and paint the whole flames to seal them up and fill in any gaps. hopefully this helps you out some. I will try to get some pics of it.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 AM
jrtoons

Here are a few pics to describe what I mean-

First you mask the flames, then paint the shadows, then the main colors, then the flames tips, then the main flame colors.

Thanks for the explanation of how to do flames on the outside. I want to attempt flames for a motorcycle helmet and this will help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11522.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	96935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19152.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	96936  
Old 02-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Thunder Tiger EB4

Hey, thank you for those photos too! Much help, I didn't realize it was done that way, thanks again!~ Brett R
Old 02-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Bush Wacker

Now all I need to do is learn how to draw flames. LOL
Old 02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
jrtoons

I can't take credit for drawing the flames. They are pre-cut from Parma-

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXDXW8
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM