Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

How to Paint Using a Mask??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Paint Using a Mask??

Ok, lets say I have a truck body I want to paint using silver and a bright green. I want the main color to be silver and the mask pattern (drops) to be bright green. How to I paitn this type of scheme? How do I correclty mask off the drop pattern along with painting the main siler base color? Can anyone assist? TIA!!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
fastfred
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to Paint Using a Mask??

Prep the body - Rough up with a kitchen scrubber. Wash with warm water & a couple drops of detergent. Wipe down with alcohol (denatured preferrably.)

Lay your mask down. It helps to use a marker on the outside of the body to draw guide/grid marks to make sure your mask is straight. Use masking tape, or liquid mask to fill in areas that the mask doesn't cover.

Spray silver. Lay down a light first coat. This is referred to as a "sticking layer." Lay down thin coats until you get the coverage you're looking for. Back it with black or wait and back the silver and green with white.

Make sure its thoroughly dry. I place my bodies upside down under a lamp, with a fan blowing on them to help speed up drying time.

Pull the mask. Spray a thin sticking layer of green. Lay down thin coats until you get the coverage you're looking for. If its a fluorescent green, expect to lay down several thin layers. Back it with white.