Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

air brushes

Old 02-29-2004, 08:38 PM
pokeytwins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air brushes

What is a nice air brush system that is not very expensive for a beginner.
Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: air brushes

There are plenty of choices, but I would recommend the Pasche VL set. It is a nice dual action brush, cheap, and can be found just about anywhere. It will set you back about 60.00
Old 02-29-2004, 11:58 PM
LosiFan

What is the difference between the Pasche VL and the Pasche VLS?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Nitroaddict

I have no idea. I have the VL, and everything in my instructions and on the box says "for VL/VLS" ect... Plus, on the website, it shows no difference between the two, other than 20.00 in price.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:26 AM
vge

i second that. they are the best air brushes on the market and you can start with a very inexpensive one. But my recommendation is to get an air compressor right off the bat. Those cans of air do not last long and by the time you buy 5 - 6 cans you could have picked up a cheap compressor off ebay for around $50 - $75 bucks. As far as the difference between the brushes. They are many, some are dual action, some are single action, some are gravity fed and some are bottom fed. Also i would recommend getting the instructional DVD by the same company. As a noobie to air brushing you will not know how to take care of it. As i did . I killed about 6 cheap air brushes before I got my pasche brushes. But now I am pretty good and understand how to take care of them. Also I highly recommend only using the faskcolor paints. They are much easier to clean up because they are water based and not oil based. Besides that, just do you reading, lots of practice and never stop asking questions. Air brushing has so many techniques that you can always learn something.

Have fun. Look in my gallery, check out the bodies i air brushed. I will be adding more soon.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
LosiFan

I just bought a VL from Ebay this morning. I'm looking forward to being able to paint the "lightening bolt" look.
And I really like the color changing paints. Are there any brands of that type of paint to stay away from?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:27 AM
vge

I would say stay away from any oil based paints. They are tooooooo messy, too hard to clean up, have serious fumes, and are not any better than water based paints.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
IhrtTamiya

arent you only supposed to use water base paints on lexan? im thinking of getting an airbrush but id paint maybe a body every few years(not literally) but i really have no use for one.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM
vge

actually you can use water based paints on many things. Not just lexan.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 PM
magicfrost

i am a lacquer man my self i find it much easier to work with in terms of putting it on the body. only down side is that is a two part paint system in the bottles. lucky i am used to painting so two stage paint systems are not hard for me. the airbrushes and paint guns have a much easier time with it since its thicker. so what the airbrush system comes down to in the end is how often are you gonna use it and what level of clean up do you want.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:47 AM
TikiKustoms

be careful when you talk about the different paints. i believe you are all refering to laquer based paints not oil based. there is a difference. you would usually use an oil based paint to paint houses and stuff. i prefer the laquer or urethane based paints personally. i have found they mix and dry better but that is my opinon. i also would recommend checking out the iwata line of airbrushes. the revolution series i hear is a great deal for a nice brush. i personally switched from a paasche too an iwata eclipse cs and have been much happier ever since. i find i can get greater consistency and finer lines with my iwata. but yeah, i would check out the revolution series for a beginner airbrush. good luck
drew

heres an example of what an iwata can do
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40090.gif
Views:	4
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	107257  
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM
dakamat

This week-end , i bought the createx extender for thin my faskolor paint. What's the pefect mix of paint and extender to use to be able to do fine line, beautiful shadow and can spray more than just one or too line before clean-up the needle?

I don't know this is because i don't thin my paint but after spraying just few line, my airbrush start to be very irregular .
Old 04-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Project_2501

you generally dont need to thin faskolor. u can use up toa 50/50 and windshield wiper is very good stuff to thin it with. comes out more consistant than water does.

btw, i read this in my latest issue of X-RC
Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 PM
dakamat

are you serioswindshiel washer to thin faskolor?????????? I'll try it right now after the work and i'll post you my commentary.
But when you said that faskolor not supose to be thin, i'am agree whit you for background and large area where precision is no need. But for make sharp shadow or shoot light mist of paint in small area, if i'am not thin it, this thing go out of my air brush like a AK-47 on a stone wall. I've a badger 360, it'supose to be a good airbrush. Nest week-end i'll buy a Iwata (HP-c or eclipse HP-SB, don't know wath the best one), on some forum, the guys said that Iwata is better than badger for shoot acrylic paint[X(] they've reason or not????????????? I'll try it
Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

I just rec'd an Aztec A320 andf an air compressor for my b-day. Any Tips?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

what's good to thin Model Master ACRYL series paints with?