Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Mixing Tamiya and Pactra Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:36 AM
funked1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Tamiya and Pactra Paint?

I don't actually want to mix the two types of paint together. I'm painting a couple of Tamiya lexan bodies. I have some Tamiya polycarbonate paint (acrylic) to match the decals exactly that I want to use on some parts of the car. I have some Pactra lacquer spray cans that I want to use as well. I'm wondering if there is any problem using both kinds of paint on the same body. Will one of them crack or eat through the other or anything like that? I'm testing it on some scrap lexan but I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with these products?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
TikiKustoms

Default RE: Mixing Tamiya and Pactra Paint?

i have used both acrylic and laquer together. it can work but you have to be VERY CAREFUL. i sprayed a purple color flip and then the teal in acryilic and the rest of the graphics on this body are laquer. if you let them completely dry and spray them in VERY light coats than it should work. but the coats have to be super thin. i did drip a drop of laquer on the teal and it ate right through it so thats why i emphicize the thin coats. if you try it, good luck and hope you have good luck like i did.
drew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93618.gif
Views:	158
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	107735  
Old 03-08-2004, 03:36 PM
funked1

Default RE: Mixing Tamiya and Pactra Paint?

Thanks for the info. I did some test pieces to make sure it would work. The Pactra and Tamiya spray paints appear to be compatible. So my project proceeds.