Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Best way to attach inside decals.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 03:34 PM
david77449

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to attach inside decals.

Well here I am another newbie painter learning the ropes the hard way (by screwing up), lol. Anyway I'm doing a special theme for my truck and have followed some advice from someone I say that does very high quality work or so it seems with the praise he gets on his paint jobs. I made my decals on my pc (photo quality) but the problem is attaching them to the inside before the paint goes on. I read from a couple of people that XXX main glue leaves streaks once it's dried so the guy I was talking about said he used rubber cement and never had this problem. When I try it not only do I get tons of streaks but if the decal is high gloss there are dull places that I can't rub out (they actually get worse if I try to rub them out) and I'm using plenty of glue as I have put it on the body and on the decal. Tried at first just putting in on the decal but the results were pretty much the same.

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks,
David
Old 03-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Dalejr08

Default RE: Best way to attach inside decals.

i have tried the xx main glue and it worked great for me so i would try that next time.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:24 PM
speeddemon32

dale..... how did you get it to not leave streaks... i have used XXX main twice, and both times it leaves brush marks, or bubles...
Old 03-23-2004, 04:44 PM
vge

when you use that glue for the pics, do you put the glue on both sides of the picture?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:53 PM
david77449

Well looks as if everyone either uses xxx main glue or is holding out on their secrets. I finally tried the xxx main and see what the people that have been having problems with it are talking about. Looked fairly good at first but after it cured it started to look a little funky. Well luckily it wasn't to hard to remove. Just got another tip from elsewhere that I'm going to try tonight if I get the chance. Just for those keeping up with this thread in the shadows to date my best effort was with a spray adhesive made by Krylon that I found at a local art supply store. The decal came out near perfect this time (full gloss, no steaks). The problem is the stuff (while it does dry somewhat flexible) is hard as hell to get off the surrounding areas causing me to slightly damage the decal.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:08 PM
vge

Dalejr08 - would you mind showing us the body you did? Also how about some tips? I don't wanna ruin my body or gfx with this stuff. Also can you use printed graphics?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM
david77449

Hey Iceman, I know of a guy who uses only printed graphics and does some of the wildest jobs I've ever seen. The only problem is he won't tell m-e or anyone else how he does it.

David
Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 AM
vge

I think thats kinda crappy. Hey if I know how to do something I am willing to spread ideas.

When you say printed, do you mean from his printer or printed in a mag or something?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
david77449

iceman, this guy does it all. He can do magazine cutouts (which I have had more luck with) but also do some wild computer graphics which he prints out on glossy paper. He did tell me he uses glossy paper and rubber cement but that's it. He says he hates xxx main. I've tried a couple of different types of rubber cement but with very little to no luck. I've tried brushing the body only, the print only, both, but nothing seems to work good enough for my taste. The xxx main did work a bit better for me but I did get streaks that got worse as it cured.

David
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 AM
vge

I guess it is too much to ask the folks in this forum that have done this before to make a little tutorial on how to do it.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 AM
david77449

Yeah, I give up on this thread. I'll guess I'll just have to find info somewhere else. That's cool!