Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

FasKolor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FasKolor

I need an objective opinion. Will Faskolor stand up to the rigors of off-road truck racing? I've heard rumors that, as it is water-based, it doesn't adhere well and can peel off. Any opinions?
Old 05-25-2004, 02:38 AM
ShOzz

Default RE: FasKolor

I use creatix exclusively backed by enamel clear coat and krylon fusion white and black.
It works perfectly. (creatix and fascolor are the same thing pretty much.)
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Thanx Nemo, I'll give it a try, although since I'm doing a pearl paint job, I thinke I'll back it with silver enamel, then a white coat.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:21 AM
akajohnny5

when using faskolor do you etch the body first with scotch brite pad or similar to aid adhesion?
Also have you used Fapearl white ? as mine always comes out silver not white???????
Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Don' know. irst time I've used Fascolor. Going with Pearl Blue and Pearl Silver, backed with a silver enamel, then a white coat. Hope it turns out okay.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:28 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Okay, some further info on using FasKolor from a guy I found who paints awesome bodies using the stuff. First, wash the inside of the body with Windex, not soap and water. Apparently, this will leave a residue that can lead to peeling. Next dry it a competely as you can using a lint-free cloth or other suitable material. Get out your blow dryer, you will need it later, and blow dry tthe body to make sure no residual moisture is present. Do your masking, graphics application, whatever, then lightly clean the inside again (in case you got your greasy fingerprints all over while you were masking), and gently blow dry again. Now paint your first coat, and heat-set it using your blow dryer (if you don't, it will peel). Heat-set each successive coat, then seal the paint with the FasKolor sealer or other suitable coating. Strip your window masks and you're done!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:28 AM
akajohnny5

Ive just done my first 2 bodies with faskolor and would like to post a picture but how do i post photos????
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39 PM
SamP-51flyer
My Feedback: (2)

o.k. on your post it say reply I am talking about the one you have already typed right above my post where the time is go straght to the right and click reply and on that page in the bottom left hand area of where you type it will say upload images and tada
Old 06-22-2004, 09:14 AM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Well I use faskolor right? It will withhold the abuse and won't peel off. The only problem is if you scratch it.. it would come off. I dunno why. Pactra Now makes an acrylic that you can paint with that is also water soluble which is good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22262.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	146173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48635.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	146174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56165.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	146175  
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 AM
otterball21

Here is another body that I did... with all Faskolor. And your right about the Faspearl Silver. It makes it look silverish. Cause it has the pearl like look. You want real white, use Faswhite. You can tell on my frog's eyes it's white. the rest of the body was done in Faspearl white. All of it was done with Bob Dively's. Masking tape and an airbrush.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79271.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	146176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54854.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	146177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83399.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	146178  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:54 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Otter,

Nice paint jobs, particulerly the second one. As far as the peeling if you scratch it goes, have you tried a seal coat with a Nitro Sealer like Pactra makes? Maybe that would make it a little tougher?

I've changed my mind about the colors I'm going to use. I'ms still using Fascolor Pearl Blue, but the nose will be Pactra Color Change, white to blue, a very subtle blue. The two olors will be split with Orion Thunder Graphics at about the truck doors. If it comes out right, I'll post some pics.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:22 PM
otterball21

yeah I've tried several different sealers... couldn't find one that would work right.. and totally make it scratch resistant.

Good luck!!! post some pictures man!!! when your done of course!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:57 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Painted it today. Came out pretty nice, but you can really only see the phase change in the sunlight. It depends on the angle, sometimes it's a subtle blue tinge, and other times it really stands out. Oh yeah, I backed the whole thing with pearl silver. Those Thunder graphics look nice but you've got to make really sure the edges are sealed (getting the air bubbles out was not fun, even though I was really careful and squeegeed them on.) The paint is still curing so I don't want to mess with it much.