Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

My Paint Keeps Coming Off !!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:03 PM
godfreymatc3soul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Paint Keeps Coming Off !!??

Hi

I have now painted two bodyshells and the first few knocks and bumps I get the paint just flakes right off! I washed them in the bath with hand soap, and I did rub them hard the get the mould release agent off, but the paint still comes off. I did think it might be the hand soap, so for my next bodyshell I am going to use washing up liquid, but I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to use washing up liquid because it left a greasy surface on the bodyshell. Anyone got any ideas as to why the paint keeps coming off, other than the hand soap? Should I not do it in the bath? Please help this is getting annoying [:@] and quite expensive [] now !!!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Willards

Default RE: My Paint Keeps Coming Off !!??

I have never heard of anyone using hand/body soap, especially in the bath. I have seen windex, rubbing alcohol, degreasers, liquid dish soap, etc. Anything that will not leave soap scum, or any other residues behind.

What type of paint are you using? Make sure it is compatible with Lexan bodies.
"You can't use regular hobby paint on these car bodies since those paints have no sticking agent for Lexan. As a result, the paint will just peel and crack away from the body over time. Paints formulated for Lexan actually grip into and become a part of the car. There are basically 2 kinds of paints available for R/C cars: water based and lacquer based paints. Lacquers are, as the name implies, lacquer based, which means that lacquer is the main liquid carrying agent in the paint. You also use lacquer thinner to thin the paints prior to spraying them and to clean your airbrush afterwards. Acrylics are the new comers to R/C paints in the past few years, with Parma Fascolors being the most popular brand by far. Acrylics are water based."
Old 07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
toyota1991

fusion by krylon NOT LAQUER BASED
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86803.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	152679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62963.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	152680  
Old 07-12-2004, 03:08 AM
godfreymatc3soul

I am using custom colours lexan spray paint, so it is the correct paint. Do you think I should not do it the bath and do it in the sink instead? I was only doing it in the bath because it gave me a bit more space to work than the kitchen sink. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:21 PM
toyota1991

I HAVE DONE BODIES WHERE I JUST WIPE THEM OUT AND THE PAINT NEVER COMES OF . MAYBE OU SHOULD TRY HOLDING IT UP TO THE LIGHT AND REMOVE ANY OBSTUCTIONS . TRY BLOWING IT OUT . ITS REALLY HARD TO SCREW UP. UNLESS YOUR PAINT IS FOR MODEL CARS. DOES THE BODY GET REAL COLD RIGHT AFTER YOU SPRAY IT? I THINK THAT ONLY HAPPENS WITH LAQUER PROBABLY THE CHEMICAL REACTION.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Willards

My bad- I thought you were cleaning the bodies while you were in the bath as well. [:'(] Not just using the tub as a larger basin compared to the sink.

I haven't used that paint before, but I have heard it works fine. I think the biggest thing would be any residual films that is interfering with the paint adhering to the lexan body.