Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Spray Paint.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 PM
iliketobreakthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Paint.....

i have never painted a body before and i have some questions about using spray paint... i wanted to use spray paint cause it seems to be much cheaper and easier thatn buying an airbush kit

1. what is the best qualitly spray paint....

2. i have spray painted other things but it always runs. is there a trick to getting spray paint not to run..

3. any other info or tips on using spray paint

4. is it really thart much better to get an airbush?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

Default RE: Spray Paint.....

I don't like air brushes, they're for the talented
Old 07-17-2004, 10:39 PM
iliketobreakthings

heheh ya thats what i heard
Old 07-18-2004, 07:08 PM
RockDog0269

I've painted a couple of bodies using spray paint...haven't made the jump to air brush yet. There are a lot of good articles on the internet about painting rc bodies that you might want to look up..just search "rc painting tips"

I use Pactra Polycarb paints. They go on nice and seem to resist cracking.

First coat of every color should go on very light...a nice dusting. This helps to create a seal with any masks you have used. None of the coats should be heavy. Take your time. A little bit of patience will go a long way here.

Like with any paint job, plan ahead...if possible spray your dark colors first...or back your light colors with silver. I trim my bodies before i paint them because this seems to be where I tend to mess them up if I don't...I soak my sprays cans in room temp water for about 15 minutes before I use them, seems to make the paint spray more evenly...remember to prep your body (wash, dry with lint free towel)...I wear rubber gloves so that I'm not getting oils from my hands on the washed body. Those are some basics to get you started...

I haven't ever used an air brush, but it seems like the more detailed paint jobs come more from air brush artists than the ol' rattles cans. I don't paint bodies all that often, so to invest in an air brush setup just isn't worth it for me...maybe in the future.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:44 PM
iliketobreakthings

thanks for your help.... i dont think ill be painting for another few months but i just wanted to start getting some insight on the tricks of the trade...

thanks again
Old 07-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Stalefish

Go to your local swap meet or check the classifides in your local fish wrap for a used airbrush. Painting bodies with spraypaint is easy, just make tight masks, don't overspray, and most of all, be patient.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:46 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

2. i have spray painted other things but it always runs. is there a trick to getting spray paint not to run..

put a couple light coats on

dont just do one heavy coat, that should stop it from running