Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Few firts time tips?

Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Razor_gomez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few firts time tips?

Any one have any do-nots for a first time painter?
I am realllly bad at art, so i just want to do a simple design with some tamiya cans.

Any tips or pointers?

When i need to mask of something what do i use masking tape?[&:]

Thanks

P.S I am totaly new to this painting thingi, i just learn't today that the window masks are usedd to protect the window from paint, and they are not used for tint
Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 AM
GraTou
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Few firts time tips?

well if your just going to paint one color paint by layers, first clean your body with warm water and some soap and let it air dry. spray a nice thin coat and let dry. then spray another coat a little darker then keep doing it until the desired color. cut your wheel holes and body post holes. then trim out the body. then you can add decals. when your trying to mask you can use masking tape of course but if you want to add flames or what not then you need [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=masking&FVPROFIL=++]Liquid Mask[/link] rofl with the window flim, actually when i first bought my HPI nitro rush back in like 1999 i bought a body painted it and added decals but forgot to take off the window flim so there when all my decals in the trash.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Razor_gomez

Ok heheh,
will keep that in mind.
Hoping to do 2 colours, notin fancy.
Just plain,

If i mask of an area and then spray, won't it leak through the masking tape?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:32 AM
RedDawg303

with masking tape, dont just buy some cheap crap, get the best stuff you can at your lhs, it should almost be like electrical take, lexan paint can leak through anything. and when you put the the masking tape on, make sure you take your fingernail or somthing and scrape along of the edge of the tape to make sure its sealed good. and if you take some steel wool or like 600 grit sandpaper and rough up the surface of the inside of the body you can get the paint to stick alot better. and always make sure you wash the inside of the body and dont touch it with your fingers b4 you paint it.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:22 AM
neil.jb

also spray very thin coats ovev the edge of your masking to seal the edges(almost like your just dusting them and build it up slowly), lots and lots of thin coats is much better than a couple of thick ones
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Razor_gomez

okay thanks will keep it all in mind

Just a little neverous
Old 08-19-2004, 08:02 PM
RedDawg303

dont be nervous, its not that easy to screw up
Old 08-19-2004, 10:24 PM
bcmorris

Tips, tips... just go for it, don't worry about messing up (you will). The more you paint, the better you will get. Consider your first body a throw-away, even after painting soda bottles for practice, and if it turns out good then more power to you.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I cut out everything first--no use painting what your going to throw away. Also, no scratching the paint while cutting. Body holes are easier to line up when the body is clear too.

MAKE SURE to use the right paint for flexible lexan. One of my beauties is flaking away because I used Krylon Fusion.

Consider tinting the wing, or leaving parts of it clear. It's going to get scratched from the "roostertail" left behind your mighty buggy.

Get some ready-made "Paint masks" to make flames, etc. I think Parma makes them.

Good luck and post the result.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Razor_gomez

k, going to paint it on monday, will show u pics
Old 10-11-2004, 12:46 PM
dpk

Yeah, the sandpaper thing seems to be key. I just got finished painting my body and none of the paint stuck -- it's all peeling up. Going to try it again with sandpaper next time (after i finish peeling up the paint -- at least the window masks worked)
Old 10-17-2004, 12:00 AM
dubyarexessteeI

when youve done all your coats of desired color, spray a thin coat of white over the other ones(on the underside,over the regualr color)

it really brings out the color more
Old 12-19-2004, 02:08 AM
freeshot

LOL!!!! Yesterday i finished my silvia shell (pictures coming) but didnt realise the window stickers were used for masking while spraying duh. so i stuk the window stickers on the windows then stuk the outline for the windows on lol.