Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Airbrush for rare use

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Home_Depot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush for rare use

Now be honest here.

If I bought an airbrush, and used the cans of CO2 or whateever is in their, how would that differ from using a compressor on how the paint would lay? Now mind you, I'm probably only going to be painting 1 body every 6 months , if that. I'm not doing this as a side hobby from Nitro Trucks, not gonna sell them, or paint them for friends. I'm really looking for an advantage over cans, as well as some better colors too.

Would I be able to get away with the tank over the compressor for my ocassional use ? I'm not cheap, just don't want to drop 100 bucks into something i'll use rarely.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:01 AM
69 GTO

Default RE: Airbrush for rare use

You kinda lost me there.....what kind of "tanks" are you talking about? and what size are they...not sure i know what you mean, maybe a little more info and i could help ya out.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:33 AM
Home_Depot_Guy

Well, what I meant by tanks were the aresol ones. Kinda like a can of Wasp spray, or a can of Glade, but its fitted to
accept a valve, and the line from the airbrush fastens into said valve, thus rendering the airbrush usable from the can filled with
Co2 or whatever under pressure, enabling the use of the airbrush!
Old 11-06-2004, 12:06 PM
69 GTO

Hmmm well i cant say that i've seen cans like that. Well the differences that i can think of right off the bat are these. First of all a air brush goes through alot of air(esp if its a dual action) so a can like that probaly would not last long enough to even paint one coat on the body. I have a 3 gallon compresser that i use and it kicks on many times to replentish the air in the tank during a paint job, so lack of air supply would be the first drawback to not using a compressor.

Second thing is a regulator. Without a regulator you have no way to control the PSI that is coming out of the airbrush and that will create many problems as the PSI is always adjusted to what you are doing(ethier large areas or fine detail work) plus some paints have to be spryed at a higher PSI than others.

I know you said you would only be painting maybe 1 body every 6 months but even at that you would be better off using a compressor. Shop around and you can find one for much less than the $100 you mentioned. I've seen ones that will work for airbrushing just without alot of features for around $50-70.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Zedicus

Air Cans are hell at best, Get a decent airbrush compressor, Harbor Freight/Post Tools usualy have good deals on them.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:49 PM
69 GTO

Ethier one of you guys got a link to these "air cans"?...i wouldn't use one but i've never even seen them and just would like to see what they look like[sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-06-2004, 10:52 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

why put money into something that you might use every 6 months?.....just pay someone to paint a body for you,
Old 11-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

I think this is what your talking about [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXR18&P=7]click here[/link] Some model car guys use them say they work fine.
Let us no if you try it, and how it works.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:40 AM
69 GTO

I wouldnt suggest using something like that if you want a "nice" paint job myself.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:04 AM
sarge00
My Feedback: (1)

Check around for a used compressor too. I just bought my first airbrush (an Aztek) and plan on using my Craftsman compressor I already have. Don't use the aerosol cans. They're fine for little things, but I know a couple of people who ran out of canned air in the middle of painting and it will ruin your paint job.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
shell shocked

Cans are no good. they just dont have enough pressure inside them to paint properly. They cause the airbrush to spit blobs rather than create a mist.
they are only really good for really runny paint. hence not suited to polycarbonate stuff.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Home_Depot_Guy

I'm going to skip the paintbrush idea altogether. I wanted to make a splatter pattern, but too many people do that. Gonna go with Tony Stewarts' paint scheme. I found stickers and can easily do that one with cans....

Oh well, thanks for all the input anyhow.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have no experience with an air brush, but I'm thinking of getting one.

My intent was to buy a tank, similar to the portable ones used to fill tires, and then fill it with compressed air from my garage compressor and use it. From the above, my guess is that I will have to buy a regulator as well to deliver constant pressure.

Does anyone know if this would work? If it does, then perhaps one could buy the portable tank, fill it from a garage station and use it if it is only needed occaisionally.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne
Old 11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
69 GTO

No problem HDG, if your going with cans since its a basic paint scheme then a little tip on them. Try sitting the spray can in a bowl of warm water for about 5-8 minutes before you use it, that will help to get it to temp and make it spray a little easier without "spitting" when you paint.

Be sure to post some pics of it when done, i like the nascar theme paint jobs
Old 11-08-2004, 04:33 PM
69 GTO

Wayne that would "work" but the problem is even with a decent size resevior tank you will run out of air in a hurry and need to constantly keep filling it up to maintain proper pressure.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Wayne Miller

Thanks Maxxoverkill,

It was just a thought and I had no idea of how much volume the airbrushes use.

Thanks for your information and help.

Wayne
Old 11-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Angst

I use an air tank ($30) holds up to 150 psi with a regulator ($10) and a very cheap compressor that I had around the house to fill the tank. This way you do not get any moisture into the brush and it isn't noisy.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
niffken

The compressed air cans are not good at all. Just get any compressor from home depot. Put a "trap" on it and your set. The compressor will also be used in cleaning your RC. Nothing beats denatured (from home depot) and compressed air.

Rattle cans arent that bad.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Home_Depot_Guy

ORIGINAL: maxxoverkill

No problem HDG, if your going with cans since its a basic paint scheme then a little tip on them. Try sitting the spray can in a bowl of warm water for about 5-8 minutes before you use it, that will help to get it to temp and make it spray a little easier without "spitting" when you paint.

Be sure to post some pics of it when done, i like the nascar theme paint jobs
Well, I just got my Crowd Pleaser body from Tower today and its all cut out. Only problem here is, I ordered a tuned pipe from dynamite that was speciafically geared for Novarossi engines and said it would fit a XXX-NT. Well, the header sticks out so bloody far that it distorts the Losi body really bad, and I ain't cutting anything. So, They are giving me a different exhaust system in exchange. So, until this problem gets sorted out and I get a new pipe that actually fits, I can't paint the body yet [:'(] Well, I can, but I want my holes to only be cut once on this thing. This crowd pleaser body is actually wider than the Losi bodies are, but if i this new setup gives me that half inch i need, I'll be fine..

Decal wise, I am using Autographics decal sheet number 620 and 170-20 , I'm placing the 2 # 20's on the doors. The RIGID decals above and a lil before the rear wheel wells, the Husky Tools and Boxes on the wing, and going to use the secondary sponcers right behind the front wheel wells. On the hood, I'm using one of the two The Home Depot logo's, but not sure if I am going to paint a white box around them like Tony's car has, or just leave it all orange.
From the proline stickers, i'm going to use the grill and lights, and maybe one of the proline racing internet site stickers under the grill on the front bumper, since its jsut small enough for it. I also still have some Novarossi Top stickers that came with my engine, and may use one of those in my bed just below the wing.

Its rather hard to transfer stock car stickers to a stadium truck, but this should llook alright.

Painting wise, I'm at a crossroad. These decals are from 2002, and so is the paint sheme it shows to paint. I want to do the 2004 one, but can't find any pictures of how the paint looks under the 2 # 20's on the doors. I have a vague idea, but not sure yet... I also think I am going to get a bottle of Faskcolor and brush paint the roll cage area of the back in a gunmetal color if i can, or something similar. Nothing too shiny and ghet...I, I , mean gawdy, lol..

Thats what i plan on doing.