Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

AirBrushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM
sky_pilot_12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirBrushing

Hi guys, i have been away for awhile. I use to be into R/c planes but I dindt have the income anymore. Insurance for a 16 yr old kid is HIGH! But anyways my dad has a shop so he has a aircompressor you know for his mechanic work, and i think i like to paint. I enjoy looking at Tv shows that display the paint jobs etc. but yet again im off topic. Ok can any1 recommend a good airbrush and some tips for me to get started. Right now i plan on just practicing on a old model body i found in the garage to paint. Thanks

Also could any1 provide all the materials i wil need like paint, tools, stuff i dunno and the cost. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:27 PM
69 GTO

Default RE: AirBrushing

Hey Sky pilot

My suggestion for a really nice airbrush that wont break your wallet is the one that i use, its made by a compant called Iwata and the model is evolution. Its a dual action airbrush that is gravity feed (paint comes in from the top) has a nice slim design that feel comfy in the hand, sprays fine detail as well as largeer areas....and is a easy design to take apart and clean. It runs about $65-70.

"tools" as you mentioned, theres not really any tools that you would need but if you are talking about what you need for doing a nice paint job on a RC car body then heres a short list.

Airbrush
Compressor
In line water trap/filter
Paints
thinner for paints
Thinner for cleaning airbrush
Scissors and xacto knife for trimming bodies
rags and Q-tips for cleaning airbrush
Paint jars for thinnning/mixing paints
Larger glass jar for soaking airbrush parts in to clean

As to tips....

Keep the airbrush clean(cant be stressed enough IMO)
Practice on scrap lexan and see where certian paints spray better at what PSI and mixture
Practice practice practice

Hope that helps a bit
Old 11-09-2004, 11:20 PM
sky_pilot_12

Hey thanks maxxoverkill. Um i have the compressor and i will order your airbrush if i could have a link b/c i think my hobby lobby would not have it. Also what is a inline water trap/filter and how do i install it on my dads craftsman compressor taht he uses ???
Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 PM
69 GTO

Heres the link to Iwata airbrushes...scroll down to the evolution (gravity feed) thats the one i have and its about $70.

Inline water trap/filter is just that, its a filter that keeps water and dirt from getting into the air brush and on to your paint surface. There are a ton of differnt styles out there but they all attach somewhere in the line that goes to the airbrush, closer to the compressor the better. I have mine mounted right on the quick release on the compressor.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 PM
69 GTO

forgot the link LOL

http://www.arttalk.com/iwata/revolutionpromo.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:33 PM
sky_pilot_12

Hey thanks alot maxx. I will be sure to update you when i get everything. I also want a r/c car but im not sure what i want. I want something small and can fit a Dodge Stratus Body something like a rs4 or something. If possible could any1 give me some info. Right now i have dial up connection and it sux so everything is supper slow compared to my dsl i use to have.