Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

which Backing colour to use!

Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
youie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which Backing colour to use!

I,ve just bought an HPI El Camino bodyshell. I have twice painted shells for my savage before, using spray cans. This time I,ve bought an airbrush. Although, it is nothing expensive, I do have a good compressor and will upgrade the airbrush later. The trouble is, I have bought FASCOLOUR Fasescent Candy Red for this El Camino bodyshell and have no idea what colour to back it with. The LHS I bought it from told me to back it with Silver, but they had no Silver in stock at the time. Plus I read in an RC magazine that they backed a Flip paint with Black to achieve the colour changing effect. Would appreciate any views. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
RCInfusion

Default RE: which Backing colour to use!

Hey Youie,

Your first good move was the airbrush. The Faskolor paints are great for lexan, although you may have to thin them slightly to get good flow out through your airbrush, the thinner the paint, the smoother the fades, but the thinner you'll have to apply it, for solid colours it can be used straight. As far as backing a candy goes, typically you would use a metallic like silver or gold to tint the candy. Flip paint is a colour shift paint you typically back with black for maximum results, candys are not the same as flip or colour shift paints. You can also use chrome backers like Alclad or Spaz Stix to back your candy, just remember to back your chrome paint with black. Because the Faskolor paints are water based you'll have to work more slowly than spray cans, you might want to get a hair dryer to dry the in between coats more rapidly. For free paint mask templates feel free to visit my site www.rcinfusion.com and go to the 'Free Things' section.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM
big.mike

Rob pretty much hit the nail on the head...Except I do one thing differently, I never reduce the paint (unless you are doing small details like shading flames). Everything I do goes out of my airbrush at 40-60 psi. You will not get proper atomization at lower psi with water based paints, well at least not Faskolor or Auto Air paints. As far as getting smoother fades, try holding the airbrush farther from the body and not letting as much paint come out...

If you DO decide to reduce the paint use a reducer instead of water. When using water, not only are you reducing the thickness of the paint, but you are also reducing the properties of the paint (flex agents and bonding agents). When using a reducer, you are keeping the same properties of the paint, just thinning it out.

I am no expert by any means, just someone who has been painting (mostly real cars) for over 20 years and have attended classes by Craig Frazer, Mickey Harris and others in the industry.

The most important KEY element is to have FUN!

Mike

Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 AM
RCInfusion

Hey Mike, you're absolutely right, I wouldn't thin my HOK or Alsa paints with lacquer thinner, unfortunately ParmaPSE (the makers of Faskolor) do not offer a reducer, they suggest if you must thin the paint use no more than a teaspoon of water to one bottle ratio. The only time I really thin the paint (almost 50/50) is for doing very fine drop shadows, if your paint is too thick the shadows will be very grainy, it takes more applications but the results are much nicer. Mike, do you have a site? If you care, you can check my work out at www.guraphicart.com

Cheers!

Rob
Old 10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
big.mike

Rob,

You are right as well...I stopped using Faskolor about 1 1/2 years ago. I almost strickly use Auto Air and House of Kolors now. Auto Air was the one that suggested to not use water, only to use reducer to achieve maximum results.

I went on your site...NICE stuff! I wish I could get an online store going, just too lazy I guess.... I do pretty well on ebay though. Here is some of my stuff...

[link=http://members.cox.net/the-terminator/Savage%20Truck%20Paintjobs.htm]My Website[/link]

Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 01:23 PM
youie

Hi Rob and Mike, You both have more experience than I do and I Sincerely appreciate what both of you have said. Thankyou very much guys. I,m going to take my time on this shell and I might just buy a shell for a small r/c car and try some test on that. When I have completed the El Camino shell I will post a Picture of it. Once again thanks to both of you!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
RCInfusion

Not a problem Youie, you can also practice on the inside of a large plastic pop bottle, wash it out, cut it in half long-ways. Enjoy!

ORIGINAL: youie

Hi Rob and Mike, You both have more experience than I do and I Sincerely appreciate what both of you have said. Thankyou very much guys. I,m going to take my time on this shell and I might just buy a shell for a small r/c car and try some test on that. When I have completed the El Camino shell I will post a Picture of it. Once again thanks to both of you!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 PM
youie

Yeah, a pop bottle, plus its cheaper and easier to get hold of. I,ve just checked your site and stored your painting tips on My Favourites. I,m definetely going to take my time on this so it might be a couple of weeks before I post a picture of it.
Watch This Space!!!!!