Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Ideas for Black Cherry paint color

Old 12-07-2005, 05:27 PM
kdblev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for Black Cherry paint color

Hi all! I am new here and doing a body for hubby's car to match his actual Rx8 Shinka which has that Black Cherry paint. Testors makes the perfect color in their model masters series but I know I can't use that. The local store told me to do red with black under it, but since his car has more of a purple effect I dunno about that. Trying to see if any of you might know of some paints I don't that have that color or would know how to create it. I do have some spare lexan pieces so I'm going to try to play with it some, but I hate to buy every color of paint and spend a ton on that. Please help if you can!!!
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
speenair

Default RE: Ideas for Black Cherry paint color

I assume you don't have an airbrush since u cannot use that paint? So yur looking to do this out of a can then?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 PM
kdblev

No, I was hoping to use the spray cans, no airbrush...but was told the Model Masters from Testors would not adhere to the Lexan or would chip badly or something like that. The hobby store suggested mainly Pactra and specifically paint made for polycarbonate which he said the testors wasn't. If that is wrong please please let me know! I can use all the help I can get!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 AM
marzac2

I would look into Spaz Stix Paint colors. They have "different" colors to chose from like Root Beer, ect. I don't know if they have Black cherry, but I think you could spray candy red than back it with a darker color like deep blue. Do some tests on scrap pieces of lexan to achieve the desired tint combo. Check Tower Hobbies for the Spaz Stix paint. Hope this helps! [&:]
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
speenair

pactra and tamiya have a nice line up of paints. Try looking through their colour palates and you might find wut your looking for.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 PM
armedtotheteeth

I would use pactra or tamiya paints, both have come out with exceptionally good results for me. To achieve candy black cherry, I would use 1-2 coats of metallic red, and back the red with a good layer of metallic black. If you want to achieve the purpleish tint, put a thin coat of metallic blue between the red and the black. You will need to experiment with how much red you'll need to lay down for it to show, if you don't use enough you won't see it very well and it will just look black. Good luck, and post pictures!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Nismodriver
My Feedback: (1)

What about using one thin coat of window tint spray and then following it up with a metallic red? That was the first thing that came to mind.

John
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
kdblev

Thanks for all the ideas!!! Now I have lots to try. Will be working on this next week and will certainly post how it comes out (unless its dreadfully embarassing of course).
Old 12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
PitStops
My Feedback: (1)

look into a company called black gold, they do House of color paints and have an awesome wild cherry candy that when backed with black makes a killer black cherry

you can buy them in spray cans as well.

Bryan
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
kdblev

OK guys...here's what I have so far (posted it on a new thread too as I want to know if it really is ok to give him for xmas)

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryCat.cfm?memberID=219627]Gallery[/link]
Old 12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
speenair

like i said before i hope my wife does something like this for me. Nice color