Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Newbie in need of painting tips

Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
wyked lil girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in need of painting tips

I have a JEEP!! Rubicon body that I am about ready to start paining on. I have read all the articles that I could get my hands on, which wasn't very many, and have looked though the forums on here for tips and found nothing useful for me. I have read on how to create fades and other special effects. My husband told me once to paint the main color first...then he told me to paint the darkest color first. So now I don't know what to do...just wanted to get some opinions on here or if you could lead me to a forum that already has some helpful information that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for helping out the stupid and uneducated such as myself!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newbie in need of painting tips

Well, the thing i have always done when painting on any vehilce be it RC or full size is to paint your base coat first. It is true that it is harder to cover a dark color witha light color but it just takes a few xtra coats. As with any type of "art" It just takes practise.
The first full size car i painted it took me about 30 hrs to sand and prep, then i primed it. Then when i went to do my main coat, I went too slow and got some bad runs in the paint. Took me like 4 more hrs of sanding to try again after it dried. Lots of light coats are better than fewer thick ones.
Good luck
Old 01-24-2006, 07:27 AM
RCInfusion

ORIGINAL: wyked lil girl

I have a JEEP!! Rubicon body that I am about ready to start paining on. I have read all the articles that I could get my hands on, which wasn't very many, and have looked though the forums on here for tips and found nothing useful for me. I have read on how to create fades and other special effects. My husband told me once to paint the main color first...then he told me to paint the darkest color first. So now I don't know what to do...just wanted to get some opinions on here or if you could lead me to a forum that already has some helpful information that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for helping out the stupid and uneducated such as myself!!
Hi, try http://www.rcinfusion.com/Tips.aspx 'Painting Tips', may be of some use?

Rob
Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 AM
xacdesigns

if your base is a dark color, spray first. If it's light, spray last.

EDIT: If you are masking out any designs, make sure you masking is on and cut to shape before laying your base.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

I have also painted the Jeep Rubicon body. I got some good paint and found that i put the layers on too thick, so know it cracks off. Definently get some good paint and do nice light coats. Patience.