Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

fade help

Old 02-05-2006, 12:15 AM
zackesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fade help

how do i get a fade effect using spray cans? i was thinking about using green in the front fading to orange.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

Default RE: fade help

I would start by taping off or Liq masking (whichever you prefer) the entire rear end of the body. Run the tape all the way forward untill you get to the point that you want the fade to begin. Then full color coat the very front end not quite making it to the tape. Let it dry then make small wispy misting passes decreasing as you get to the tape. let it dry. remove all tape but the protective film and window masks. fully color coat with the next color. let it dry completely then apply your backing/protective coat.

Fill a sink with hot tap water and let the cans sit in there a good 5-10 mins. This will heat up the paint and help it to spray out thinner and less blotchy.

Post your results so that we can see how it turned out.

E~
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 AM
discgolfer72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why mask off the car at all when doing my paint jobs to fade i just spray one color then lay the next color while first is still wet ive had some pretty good results
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82649.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	402316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41456.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	402317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89273.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	402318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81731.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	402319  
Old 02-05-2006, 09:44 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

That works too but the fade area will not be the two colors. You'll have to take in account what color you will get when the two wet paints bleed together.

Mine was supposed to be orange fade to purple...ended up with a purplish pink. [&:]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3847368/tm.htm

To get the two colors without color change at the fade...I would let the first color dry completely.

Discg turned out pretty good though. Somehow mine screwed up. when I did mine I DIDN'T wait for the paint to dry. ( I wish that I had) Can't wait to see what you get.

E~
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 AM
discgolfer72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea where the fade starts u just need to mist it and yea with such a a drastic change in color i would let it dry before spraying

ps if u want a really metaliic look like the one with flames ^^ use tamiya frost paints or parma candy coat paints then back with spazstix crome the pictures dont do it justice my whole body is a mirror finish
Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 AM
69 GTO

No need to mask off a fade paint job. It's best done with an airbrush but you can get satisfactory results with cans as well. Simply start at the nose of the body and as you get to the area of the transition from one colr to the next try to pull the can back a couple inches farther away and mist it lighter. Alway let paint dry before covering it with anothor color, if you dont then it will change the first colors tint as well as take longer to dry.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

I'll have to give it another shot and be more carefull next time.

E~