Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Airbrush

Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
*_Torque_*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush

alright i am wanting to do my first paintjob on a Skyline on road car body.. but dont have an airbrush&compr... i was wanting to buy the mini testor airbrush w/ compreesor kit for $50. I was wondering how good this will fit me? or Is this kit going to do what i am wanting it to do? i am not trying to do complicated, long detailed bodies but just simple 1 tone or 2 tone paint jobs. thanx for any feedback. O and i dont know if this matters or not but will this kit work for polycarbonate paint or whatever paint i have to use for LEXAN bodies?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLR3&P=7

*_Torque_*
Old 02-16-2006, 09:30 PM
*_Torque_*

Default RE: Airbrush

please someone help..
Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Chappy22

You have to more specific. I you are only doing a one or two tone paint, you can't beat the rattle can. The lexan bodies are so big that a cheap airbrush is mundane and frustating. If you plan to do elaborate designs in the future you should but a setup that you can grow into. Airbrush sets are like anything else "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". An airbrush is not a cheap tool. The Testors set is just a plain hobby set that is designed for small job. It is mainly design for smaller plastic models. If you start getting into details or fine lines, you should really invest in a better brush and compressor.
If you are going to be doing a lot of masking, any old cheap brush will do as long as you control the air pressure. I have a couple of bodies I painted with flames and scallops using rattle cans, so you are not limited to plain one color schemes.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 PM
e-sailpilot86

at the very least, I suggest getting an Iwata Revolution, and some form of an air compressor, I have the SilverJet, it works fine. They're definately not cheap. I'm new to airbrushing, and I knew that right away. I knew that I was going to have lots of things to paint, and I wanted something I could hand down. Look to spend at least 250 for a good one. I highly recomend a double action airbrush too, if you can. And don't mess around with the needle! I need to get replacement parts for mine. (HP-SBP something... not cheap!) If you don't want to do highly detailed bodies, I really recomend you stick with masking, and rattle cans with a narrow spray pattern. I've had the Testors airbrush... ack. It's a pain, you've got to be willing to handle the maintennance of an airbrush too. You have to constantly clean it while you're working.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the best airbrushes for beginners is a Pasche "H" model single action brush. Very easy to use and clean. Very simple and works great on smaller jobs. Cost is about $35.00 at the LHS. Don't get a "dual action" airbrush or one that is "internal mix", they are too complicated and unreliable for most hobby uses. They will allow more control for fine detail work but you will likely get frusterated with the whole experience before you learn how to use. I used one for a couple of years and dreaded painting until I bought a Pasche "H". What a difference in ease of use and clean up.

As far as a compressor is concerned just buy a 2 hp job with a tank at your local hardware store, should set you back about $100.00, used compressors are can be found for $50.00 or less. You should find one with a regulator or you will have to install one yourself, cost is about $50.00.

Don't get an "airbrush" compressor because it won't be nearly as versatile. With a full size compressor you can run all sorts of tools for work around the house. Plus you can use a larger paint gun for larger jobs when they come up.

Don't forget a moisture trap if you will be painting oil based paints. I also suggest a cheapo disposable filter that can be bought at your local automotive paint supply for a few bucks.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
TopElimn8r

I agree with 2fast any compressor will do. Check your local paper or even a local pawn shop. As far as an air brush goes i've found that a good quality airbrush is unbeatable. I prefer a dual action but they offer more flexibility in shading and things like that. If you simply want to mask off a section of the body and piant it then remove the mask and apply another color without any type of shading then a rattle can will work fine. I've even done a fading scheme with a rattle can. I painted the front of the truck black then dark blue then light blue then silver then to purple. My friends couldn't believe i did it with spray cans. Its up to you and your abilities.

Good Luck!
Rich
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
bobcat10_4

I have an airbrushing question, I have been building a 1/5 scale Cessna Skylane for 4 1/2 years and am near to the point of detailed stiping work that I will have to do to replicate the full size aircraft I am modeling this plane after. My question is: Can I completely trust LMF ( liquid masking film), that I would airbush heavily on, for the striping, to get the crisp,clean, results I'm looking for?
Bobcat
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 AM
dhal22

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bobcat, check into the frisket film. i have some but haven't gotten around to using it yet.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
WisPete
My Feedback: (5)

Frisket film would be ok, but make sure it's high tack. A low / medium tends to lift at and contour change when it's got air coming at it.

For striping, I always use K-tape, though. Awesome stuff. http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksmask2.aspx