Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Painting a Hydrofoam

Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
PwrOfCheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a Hydrofoam

I need to paint a depron foam hydroplane. If you don't know what that is, it's basically an airplane that can land in water. [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hydro3d.htm]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hydro3d.htm[/link]

Does anyone know what paint I should use that would be somewhat resiliant to water and doesn't eat foam?

I have a very nice airbrush and know to do very thin coats on the foam or it'll warp and eat it... I just haven't found any confirmation on what kind of paint to use on foam that will be in water often.

Any help or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2006, 06:50 PM
AlGio

Default RE: Painting a Hydrofoam

Hi: Try one of the two part epoxy paints like hobby-poxy. It is water proof and should not affect the foam but try it on a scrap piece first to make sure it won't melt it.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PwrOfCheese
I need to paint a depron foam hydroplane.
I have one of those that I have yet to put together. However, I was thinking of using monokote.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 AM
PwrOfCheese

Interesting idea but I'd be concerned about the weight of it. Plus I was hoping to airbrush on the paint so it looks professional. I'll look into your recommendation though. Thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
PwrOfCheese

I'd like to hear how you make out should you choose to use monokote. It's a great idea if you have the monokote skills (which I don't).

I hear a water based acrylic should work but I need to make sure it's thin and do a few coats. Even though it's water soluble when wet, I hear it's somewhat rubbery and won't come off foam once it's cured.

I'll stop by my hobby shop and grab some scrap depron to test. I'll post the results.