Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Cleaning Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
evomac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Question

Hello all, this is my first post here on the forums. Mainly because I just got my first car, well a T-Maxx (and a Inferno 7.5, but that one I got for free from the same person in exchange of the T-Maxx having a bad motor). Regardless of that I do have a question, which I am hoping this is the right forum for.

So I got the T-Maxx running last week (it needed a new motor). So I broke it in and then took it to the local track with a friend of mine. Naturally the track was filled w. mud puddles and he felt the need to drive my truck through them multiple times (in turn screwing up my servos I think). However now everything is pretty filthy. He had me use engine degreaser and compressed air, but honestly it still looks like crap. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on cleaning it up.

Don't think that I am some clean freak, which I am not by any means. Just that I just got it, and the mud puddle after effect aggravates me.

Any tips would be appreciated - and if I posted this in the wrong forum, I do apologize. It just seemed to be the most fitting.

-Regards in advance-
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
julianwebb

Default RE: Cleaning Question

Compressed air is Ok, but the real way to go about it is with an old toothbrush, or maybe your friend's. I've heard that you can get some kind of cleaner that you just pour on, tilt the car, and everything is gone. Toothbrush works fine for me though
Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
evomac

Do you put anything on the toothbrush, or just scrub it off?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
julianwebb

I just scrubbed - there was just caked on dirt and dust, maybe stuck to oil. I haven't cleaned my car often, but this seems to work. If you need you can put water on the toothbrush, it just depends what you're trying to clean off. Also, start with paper towels on big parts that are easy to reach - no need to use a tiny brush on everything, just caked in stuff, and hard to reach places
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

If you really want it to shine... Pull the engine and servos and reciever and toss it in the dishwasher.

It sounds weird but it works awesome. It's like a miniature touchless car wash lol.

Just dont let your mom/wife/girlfriend catch you doing it.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:41 PM
julianwebb

Yeah, you can get a great clean when you take everything out. looks just like new! But, if you don't have the time, skill, space or whatever, the toothbrush is awesome.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
MaxxThrasher

Get a bowl of warm water and liquid dish soap, a rag or small brush (like a toothbrush as mentioned above), WD40 and compressed air. Take care not to get water in the engine, carb., or any of the electronics. Carefully wet the soiled areas and scrub with the rag or brush, blow any loose crud off with the air, rinse, spray a light coat of oil over it again taking care not to get any in the electronics or engine, then blow off the excess with an air compressor or can/tank of compressed air.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Trick440

Like some said the only way to really clean it is to take everything off. I take everything electrical off and the tranny out and spray it with the hose. WD40 it afterwards.

Another decent way is to use brake cleaner its ok on plastics and blows any crap in its way off. Use it, and compressed air. It will get cleaner then you would think. I use about a whole can on 1 cleaning.