Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Masking or Paint?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Dare82
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Masking or Paint?

I was painting a body yesterday and ran into an annoying problem. I used masking tape and after the first coat, I took off the masking tape. Amazingly, what I ripped off was the top portion of the tape. All the glue originally on the tape was stuck on the body!! It was a pain in the @$$ to clean up all the glue. I used a q-tip and denatured alcohol and started rubbing. It took a while to get it all off, but it eventually came off. So now, here's the question. Do you guys think it's the paint or the masking? I personally think it's the paint. It was my first time trying out Tamiya cans, and because of this, I'm never using it again. I think the thinner in the paint absorbed through the masking tape, causing the adhesive and paper to separate. What do you guys think? (I think I'm gonna forget cans and use my airbrush instead) Oh yea, this didn't happened when I first used Pactra spray cans, so I'm guessing it's Tamiya..
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Jeff_OKC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Masking or Paint?

Well if it didn't happen with a different brand of tape then I think you already know your answer... what type of masking tape was it?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Dare82

I actually use the general purpose masking tape. Although it says it's not recommended for painting, it gives me decent results every time..until now..
Old 06-10-2006, 12:56 PM
em x 6 racer

Did you use a heat source to help the paint dry.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Jeff_OKC
My Feedback: (1)

the type of masking tape is part of the problem likely, try using 3M Painter's tape. I like the blue stuff but the green works equally well.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Dare82

Nope, I didn't put any heat source on it to help it dry faster. I might get myself a roll of blue painters tape to see how well it actually works.