Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

should i trim or paint it first??

Old 06-11-2006, 10:36 AM
hughes82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i trim or paint it first??

hey guys im a big time noob at painting, but ive decided thats the way to go to top off that perfect build, so i got most of it down, but should i cut the body out first or should i paint first.......... Highly appreciate anyones help!!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 PM
speenair

Default RE: should i trim or paint it first??

trim it first
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Dare82
My Feedback: (2)

You should drill body post holes, trim, then paint. That is my opinion though..it is all about preference.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 AM
jonmills

ive only done 4 bodies but have painted first then cut out on all of them...
but like dare82 says, its personal preference.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:27 AM
artis1

I really think you should drill your body post holes and trim the body first. You need to be able to see through the body shell to get an idea of where to drill your holes. Trying to cut and trim out wheel wells and the cylinder hole can really jack up your paint. At least by cutting first you can smooth out all of your cuts before applying the paint..
Old 06-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Dare82
My Feedback: (2)

Here's my reasoning for what I said above. When drilling body post holes, you need a relatively sturdy platform. Where you trim the body gives nice support, so if you trim it off, there won't be very much support while you are drilling the holes. Trimming the body before painting reduces the chances of your razor blade scratching the paint job.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Harvick

The HPI bodies I have done have directions with trimming coming last. I trim last because I am afraid to remove the plastic over spray cover or at least rip it a little when trimming. Causing over spray onthe outside of the body, where the over spray plastic may have torn a little from trimming. As far as body post holes, I usually dap a small about of paint or marker, or white out on top of the posts, center the body, set the body where I want it. It will leave marks on the underside of the body showing me where to put the body holes. Some bodies like HPI already have small indents where the holes go, so it is not a problem either way.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 AM
hissyfit10

none acetone nail remover removes overspray, not that i paint much i just helped out my friend who got pissed when his body was oversrayed