Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

how do you?

Old 06-18-2006, 11:51 PM
hoss76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you?

i want to pain a new body but i want to incorporate a black and white checkered flag design and i was wanting to know how to do it?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:36 AM
evomac

Default RE: how do you?

This is the easiest way that I have found to do a checkerboard pattern (I found this from http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...ntedmyst.shtml)

Pretty much it is very similar to painting carbon fiber, just using different colors and choosing one with possibly a larger pattern.

First - go to your local household store, such as Walmart and pick up some kitchen drawer liner. This is typically purchased in rolls. The material is that of almost rubber in nature. Pick one out to match the size of the "checkers you want"

Second - Once you have your body prepped and ready to paint cut out a piece of the liner to the size that you want on your car. This includes if you want it in a design such as a swirled checkered effect.

Third - Secure the design to the body, use a good paint masking tape for this. Make sure that when you tape it to the body you don't just tape the corners. Be sure to tape off a entire edge because remember what you don't tape will get paint through causing your design to look "off". Also fully mask around the design if you dont want black to be your main body color.

Forth - Ok now you are ready to paint the design, spray your black with nice light coats through the meshing. Once you are happy with how the black looks set it aside and let it dry with the mesh and masking on it. Let it sit there for over a hour at least.

Fifth - CAREFULLY remove the mesh from the body and now spray the area in the white paint. Again with light coats. Then set aside to dry.

There you go a nice easy checkerboard pattern. The only difficult part of this is finding the the mesh pattern that you like best

Hope that helped.

Regards,

-Evo-
Old 06-19-2006, 03:23 AM
michelob78

Default RE: how do you?

I used a precut paint mask for this one..... it was very simple, you start pulling one square and all the correct ones come out with it.