Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Painting Real Flames?

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
CoolManLance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Real Flames?

Any suggestions on how I can paint realistic flames. Stencils and pictures help. Thanks, CML[8D]
Old 07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
calvin33

Default RE: Painting Real Flames?

You'll probably have to register to see this thread but it's well worth the time to register.

The technique is called "true flames"

http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules...iewtopic&t=221
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 AM
jonmills

thats the one by extremepaint i think isnt it. its one of the more in depth ones ive come across.
theres several little tutorials out there, just have a session on google.

that mike lavallee truefire vid is probably goin to be the best tutorials ull get. i wouldnt mind checkin it out myself but its quite expensive. i managed to get a little bit of it off overnet just to get an idea of the proccess if u wanna try that

i saw him workin on a grey camino on overhaulin the other night doin some blue flames, man he rocks n i cant believe how quick he does it...then again hes been doin it 25 years or so
Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
MaxxThrasher

You can rent the video from here...

http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules...viewtopic&t=46
Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
3DSAVAGE

to draw good flames you have to have smothe curves and sharp points on the tips of the flames. i drew out some instructions on how to draw flames, but i need to scan it and then i can show it to you...i hope...
Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
CoolManLance

cool does any body have the stencil that is used to create true flames? if so can you post it up
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
extremepaint

hey sorry i didnt find this place sooner.... mike lavallee has some killer shapes on his set of freehand sheilds
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/artool/truefire.jsp
just save the pics and use it as referance to cut your own.... and incase you havnt read my article at cfx, i tryed to cover almost everything your going to run into as well as how to cut out the shapes lol!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:03 PM
CoolManLance

im a little confused on how to use the shield... any pictures help.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
MaxxThrasher

This is why everyone doesn't paint Tru Flames. It takes a lot of research, study of references, the ability to take the knowledge you've learned and put it into practice and then practice, practice and practice some more. Until one day you finally get it right. The average Joe isn't going to just decide to paint Tru Flames and ask someone to show them some pictures of how they did it and the tools they used and paint themselves a body just as good. Your better off paying a Pro to paint your body. Unless you have the dedication and time to invest.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 PM
CoolManLance

oh.. well sorry for askin for a little help... obviously im stupid for askin questions and wondering how its done... oh wait, thats called research
Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 PM
dracohowe

dude he was just informing you that the average person can't do it. you should thank him he just saved that body you were gonna attempt it on
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
MaxxThrasher

ORIGINAL: CoolManLance

oh.. well sorry for askin for a little help... obviously im stupid for askin questions and wondering how its done... oh wait, thats called research
You've been given a link to a tutorial (complete with pictures!) on how to do the flames, a link on where to rent a video (for only $10) on how to do the flames, which you can watch over and over, rewind,skip, fast forward, and watch again, a link to pictures of the shields and where to buy them, and yet you've done nothing in this entire thread but ask for more pictures on how to do this technique. You've shown no attempt what-so-ever that you've done any research at all! Asking for pictures is not research. Try clicking on the links you've been given.
Just for you, here's another [link=http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121431]LINK![/link]
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
CoolManLance

How do you know I havent done any research? Ive read many articles over and I am still confused about how the shield is used. I have practiced on paper and bottles several times and havent grabbed hold on the technique.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
MaxxThrasher

That's why I said it takes lots of research and practice. This technique is not something you learn over night. Try renting the video in the link you were given, or maybe buying it. That way you can watch and follow along.
If you had done any research on your own, you'd have found those links and more by yourself. A simple general google search will pull up thousands.

[link=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=160]How to use a shield[/link]
Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
charlie_b

LOL...i think he just wants it served on a silver platter with a mint on the side Maxx. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach them to drink.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
MaxxThrasher

If only life was that easy! Maybe for some it is, but the rest of us have to work for a living.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
CoolManLance

I never knew it was so wrong to ask a question without doing a little research. Is'nt what these forums are for, people helping people. Clearly is is people criticizing people because they dont know everything.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:31 PM
charlie_b

I think the horse just died.[&o]
Old 07-20-2006, 03:35 PM
MaxxThrasher

ROFL! Charlie, ya kill me! All this water and none to drink?

Lance, there's a huge difference in someone putting in a lot of work, getting stuck between a rock and hard place and asking for guidence, and someone asking for someone else to do all the work for them. Ya have to ask yourself, which catagory do you put yourself in?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
jonmills

im sorry but i have to agree.
uv been given several links...the extremepaint one.....the rctech one ( i havent seen that one before,but it looks pretty good)....a place to rent the mike lavallee vid....
if you look at any of them ull get the basic idea. n from there its a case of practising n practising n practising.
then ull get the idea of how they do it n can take what uv seen n learnt n adapt it to ur own style.

look at some fire....draw some fire....pick up some stencils n ur airbrush n some soda bottles or whatever n just keep painting.
just keep tryin n eventually ull do somethin different n be like....oh s##t.....that looks pretty good. then ull be tryin that n do somethin different...................
n eventually ull have come across a few different techniques n be able to link together somethin that looks like fire.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 AM
CoolManLance

OK, I understand these flames arent goin to paint themesleves and I'm not gonna get everything given to me, but when I ask a question that hasnt been covered completely or I haven't found a site with the answer then I come to this place where there are many people that are full of knowledge and maybe even sites and links I havent found myself. It's discouraging to a person when you say an average person cant do it or i should get a pro to do it. Next time a person seeking simple information asks a "dumb" question maybe you should just answer it, because you dont know what they have done so far. They could have searched many times or done no research at all. In my case i had done a small amount of research and was just seeing if i could get some help with the stencils and technique. Anyways I want to thank everyone for helping out, the links were great and I am going to have fun painting my flames.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
MaxxThrasher

Lance, probably one of the biggest problems with internet BBs is reading written words and not being able to read emotions. Trying to understand a posters intentions becomes really difficult. This may very well the the case in this thread.
When you keep your questions short without elaborating on the type of problem your having, it makes it diffictult for anyone to give you the answer your looking for.

For instance, you began this thread with a vague, short question which translated into "how do I paint realistic flames, show me some pictures". Which in itself is rude, but you were given a link to a tutorial complete with pictures and a follow along guide on how to and a couple more suggestions with a link on where you get a video that shows how. A very helpful and useful resource to have.
Then you come back with another short, vague quip, "that's cool, show me some pictures of the stencil". Again, this comes off as rude.
Yet again, you were given a link to where you can buy the stencils and what they look like. Still you reply with another short remark, "I still don't get it, show me more pictures". This is where I found it hard to keep my composure. Apparently you found my reply offensive. That's too bad. I was only trying to help. No one else seemed to find offense in any of my replies. Yet you found the need to attack me with your childish remarks. Still, I reply with more help to your original question.

So Lance, maybe the problem has simply been the non-abitlity to determine one's intentions. Either way, in the future I would suggest the next question you post is structured politely in complete detail as to your problem and how you would like to be helped. This way you'll get more responses that are of the greatest help to you.

Good luck with your painting! [8D]

Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Bradmph
My Feedback: (2)

Use spray on Masking then take a razor blade and cut out the area you will paint from the spray on masking. Tape a flame template on the opposite side to use for a diagram. Grab you airbrush and start with misting the light color first. Finish with the darkest and then complete with your base car color after removing the rest of the spray on Masking.

My web site has many many flame cliparts for gamers that can be used in any type of painting. Check it out.
[link=http://www.racelinecentral.com]http://www.racelinecentral.com[/link] go to the Decals and Clipart page for a huge assortment.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:47 PM
goofy_txn
My Feedback: (1)

Lance,

Dude your gonna have to get in the boat with the rest of us on this......my flames are ok, and I've been at it trying to figure it out for almost a year now.....I'm still playing with the paint recipe. So invest a whole lot of $$$ in paint and get busy with the scrap lexan! Bust a move!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
nathan_t

Hey Lance... i work at a tool store and asked a similar question on another forum and got a pretty good answer from a guy who runs a custom autobody shop...

http://www.kmstools.com/forum/showth...rl-white-paint

As for templates and videos, check out the Artool True Fire series:

http://www.kmstools.com/manufacturers/artool-16/

And for the how-to book:

http://www.kmstools.com/how-to-paint-flames-book-3363

good luck... Nathan